Good Job Fred Mims

I have no issues with how Mims handled it and what terms he used. Normally, I would think differently, but not in this case. Iowa basketball has been a joke for the last decade. When I say that it is because of all the off-court stuff that has went on. I live in Michigan and people still talk about Pierce and how Alford was an arrogant (insert your thought).
The message on the outside has been the University only cared about the football program and whatever the basketball program did was insignificant. This sends the message that there is attention being paid by all and the Atheletic Department is vested into seeing integrity restored to the Basketball program.

I find absolutely nothing wrong with his comment. I am in communications and spend a lot of time working on media relations. While a little frank, I have no objections to what he said. The entire situation was handled poorly and the university/athletic department has a right to be peeved because this is bringing negative attention to the program. The oringinal poster said way to go for "calling out" our basketball staff. Who should he have called out. It is unacceptable and that is how he communicated his position. Mims simply saying "no comment" would not cut it in this situation. Iowa is a clean-cut program and something like this happening (while innocent in nature) still sheds a negative light on the University. Mims had to say something and I think his comment was spot on and he called it like it is.

I'm sorry DesMoinesHawki, I don't agree that the actions and behavior of the basketball staff were 'unacceptable' as you suggest. We hosted recruits who were touring the facilities, campus and taking in a big time college football game. While on campus, they happened to meet two former players, Reggie Evans and Dean Oliver. Additionally, they were introduced to hundreds of people along the way, two of which happened to be highly recognizable via movies and TV. Every school in America utilizes former players, specifically successfull alumni that may or may not play in the NBA. I would be disappointed if Iowa didn't do what every other school does. Look no further than the recruitment of Harrison Barnes. Some may say this is illegal...if it is then everyone should stop, until then carry on...nothing to see here. For Mims to suggest the staff was sloppy is unnecessary, he could have called it like it was in a much better way with regards to how it reflected on the staff. I guess we will agree to disagree.

Latest posts