Gonzaga

VTHawk

Statistically as a team Iowa looks better on paper but Gonzaga's starting five do look impressive. They are all double digit scorers at 23, 22, 13, 13, and 11 points per game. But their bench looks lacking. They seem to have only two players that get significant minutes but hardly score or do much else.

Iowa as I said looks better on paper as a team. The Hawkeyes out rebound, make more assists, have more blocks per game and have almost 10 points less scored against them.

Its tough to make anything of these numbers, especially this early in the season. Matchups seem like they will be the difference in this game. However, we seem to be a better 3 point shooting team and we have a much deeper and better bench.

I was just looking at their roster. They have NINE top 100 recruits on their roster with 4 of them not even playing much. It's intimidating but, hopefully, our veterans will step up to the challenge.

Capture25.PNG

Gonzaga is a well coached, well oiled machine in attacking defenses. They know the next game they play will likely be Iowa. Think they will have scouted us and understand our stuff with 12 days to prep for us. Maybe there is some rust...but it's a huge advantage. That's not good...as P-U is a good coach. They completely dismantled us in the tournament a few years back...made us look silly. Granted...this team is deeper and more talented...but I'm not sure they are better defensively than that team.

This game may be 110-98 or something like that.

Yeah here's to hoping Gonzaga has some dead legs and are rusty. They've done some serious traveling already too I think they've been to FL already. I hope we get off to a hot start like we did against UNC. We come out hot on O that'll only keep our confidence high throughout the game. I'm not worried about our D because it just won't matter so much. I agree with @WinOneThisCentury it'll be a first team to 90 and wins the FT battle down the stretch that will win it.

Just checking out the kenpom numbers a few minutes ago.

adjO: Gonzaga 1 Iowa 2
adjD: Gonzaga 14 Iowa 71
adjT: Gonzaga 12 Iowa 30

The obvious stands out..... Gonzaga playing much better defense against much tougher competition. Watched a good chunk of the Kansas game and both teams were pushing temp/pace. Tempo/pace will be where Iowa wants it, just not sure the D will be.

Too bad the Baylor game was canceled would have loved to see that game.

Win or lose it’s the perfect game at the perfect time for us IMO. Playing an elite team on a neutral floor before starting a rugged conference schedule.

Latest posts