Going out for sushi tonight, but I am going to have to order crow.

BSpringsteen

I was extremely hard on JVB in the chat, and he clearly showed that he has the ability to at least make the throws and lead the team down the field, philosophy not withstanding.

I am still extremely concerned about Coker. What he is giving us simply isn't enough with the running game.

The OL needs to gel.

The defense played much better today, but Shawn Prater for a guy who was debating about going to the NFL needs to play much better.

There is no reason not to run your offense out of shotgun, and no reason not to let your CB's play man as two weeks in a row, the opposing offenses have found the holes in the zone along the sidelines.

But, just thinking about the mental aspects of this game, I think the team went from...

1) We're effed, 4-6 wins this year and no bowl game
2) Well, at least we've learned some things today, maybe we can get a 7th win.
3) We have a chance to do whatever we want all of our goals are still in front of us.

Mine is in the oven right now. Need to get Bullock up to speed. Cause the Hawks are gonna have to speed things up.

Yeah, unfortunately because I thought he showed a lot last year, especially in the Ohio State game, it doesn't look like Coker is an every down back.

Maybe move him to FB?

I was extremely hard on JVB in the chat, and he clearly showed that he has the ability to at least make the throws and lead the team down the field, philosophy not withstanding.

I am still extremely concerned about Coker. What he is giving us simply isn't enough with the running game.

The OL needs to gel.

The defense played much better today, but Shawn Prater for a guy who was debating about going to the NFL needs to play much better.

There is no reason not to run your offense out of shotgun, and no reason not to let your CB's play man as two weeks in a row, the opposing offenses have found the holes in the zone along the sidelines.

But, just thinking about the mental aspects of this game, I think the team went from...

1) We're effed, 4-6 wins this year and no bowl game
2) Well, at least we've learned some things today, maybe we can get a 7th win.
3) We have a chance to do whatever we want all of our goals are still in front of us.

In a zone blocking scheme you need a RB with good cut back ability that is just not in Coker's DNA. The way ISU over pursued last week someone like Fred Russell or Shonn Greene would have ran for about 200 yds. Coker should get the bulk of the carries, but you really need Bullock to come on.

I am still optimistic strictly on how the schedule sets up.

To be clear Jonny, I wasn't advocating for JVB to be benched, just thought he was another in the long line of Hawkeye Internet Legens that never lived up to the hype.

I dont mind people being critical if they have something behind it, which is why I put your posts through.

Some ppl get all ticked cuz I dont put their 'so and so sucks' posts through...as if that adds to the level of discussion.

There were times today where I was thinking the JC=JVB comparisons were not crazy....then JVB went off. End of that comparison ;)

Yeah, unfortunately because I thought he showed a lot last year, especially in the Ohio State game, it doesn't look like Coker is an every down back.

Maybe move him to FB?

Or maybe learn the lesson that you can't necessarily give up on a guy even if he struggles a ton?

I dont mind people being critical if they have something behind it, which is why I put your posts through.

Some ppl get all ticked cuz I dont put their 'so and so sucks' posts through...as if that adds to the level of discussion.

There were times today where I was thinking the JC=JVB comparisons were not crazy....then JVB went off. End of that comparison ;)

The only difference being you can see that JVB has the ability that JC was never going to get. James appears to still be adjusting to being a first year starter. He took a big step forward in the 4th quarter today.

In a zone blocking scheme you need a RB with good cut back ability that is just not in Coker's DNA. The way ISU over pursued last week someone like Fred Russell or Shonn Greene would have ran for about 200 yds. Coker should get the bulk of the carries, but you really need Bullock to come on.

I am still optimistic strictly on how the schedule sets up.

This is correct.

Coker's style isn't overly suited to our blocking scheme. Not saying there isn't a big role for him still on the team, just that he is clearly not going to be an every down back.

Latest posts