Going down, not up, for a long time

LinnMarHawkeye

I find this very ironic.
Tom Davis would usualy have us competing, and making the tournament, and getting one to two and even three wins. But never got to final four, fans wanted more, fired him than hired alford
Alford had us usualy in top 6 of big ten, and would get us fighting for the ncaa, and had a few were we were high seeds. But could never get past first two rounds, and blew late leads. So we hire Lick, he can not even have us at 500, and now we just hope for nit next year, or a decent record.
So it went from final four, to nit.

I find this very ironic.
Tom Davis would usualy have us competing, and making the tournament, and getting one to two and even three wins. But never got to final four, fans wanted more, fired him than hired alford
Alford had us usualy in top 6 of big ten, and would get us fighting for the ncaa, and had a few were we were high seeds. But could never get past first two rounds, and blew late leads. So we hire Lick, he can not even have us at 500, and now we just hope for nit next year, or a decent record.

How is that ironic?
I guess I am missing the irony...

Without getting into the whole Alanis Morissette thing, it is funny that we are now striving for a level that is less than what we had while Mr. Davis was here.

Easy to see where things went wrong.

Without getting into the whole Alanis Morissette thing, it is funny that we are now striving for a level that is less than what we had while Mr. Davis was here.

Easy to see where things went wrong.

Yeah, and now he is working for Stanford.

I find this very ironic.

The idea that fans do the firing and hiring is platonic.

Alford had one year where Iowa was a high seed, and he won one tournament game. That is different than saying a few years with high seeds, and could get past the first two rounds. 5 of 8 years not in tournament, one legit year where they were a solid at large, one year where they won four in four days (miracle) to make it in and another year where it really, really helped to have our AD as the head of the selection committee as Iowa had a 7-9 conference record and made it in, and got embarrassed by Cincy. Moral of the story is that things have been on a downhill slide before Todd got here..every step forward there was another one or two back.

Of course what we are seeing now is unprecendented.

Alford had one year where Iowa was a high seed, and he won one tournament game. That is different than saying a few years with high seeds, and could get past the first two rounds. 5 of 8 years not in tournament, one legit year where they were a solid at large, one year where they won four in four days (miracle) to make it in and another year where it really, really helped to have our AD as the head of the selection committee as Iowa had a 7-9 conference record and made it in, and got embarrassed by Cincy. Moral of the story is that things have been on a downhill slide before Todd got here..every step forward there was another one or two back.

Of course what we are seeing now is unprecendented.

Jon, I agree completely with your assessment of the length of the slide we are experiencing. In your recollection, based on the length of the slide, are there any comparisons for time to turnaround? If so, who would you compare Iowa to, how many coaching changes did it take and how long did it take to completely get things turned around?

The only thing I would disagree with Jon is that winning the four games in four days was a miracle. We were very fortunate that some upsets happened in that tourney. We got to play a PSU team that upset MSU in the second. And they were emotionally spent so Evans pretty much beat them himself. Then Indiana had a tough semifinal game against Illinois(I think). Iowa seemed just as fresh in the final. Getting to rest our starters in the PSU game helped tremendously.

That season could have been quite special had Recker not went down. 17-4 and cruising until he tore his knee against Indiana.

Last edited: