Glimmer of Hope

farmerj3

Yes that was awful and there were plenty of negatives. But I found a couple things to be optimistic about.

1) The defense played pretty well considering
a) how much they were on the field
b) Daniels going down
c) the awful field position they were in all game
d) the many lucky deflected passes that Penn State was fortunate to grab

2) IF (this is a big if), if the announcers are right, that PSU is the best defense in the B10, Iowa's offense should be much better vs other B10 teams. Why?
a) For many players on the team, this was their first real road test in a HUGE hostile atmosphere. Its good to get that off their belts.
b) In the 3rd quarter Iowa's no huddle was rolling and should have kept rolling if McNutt holds onto the ball. So we know the offense could have and should have scored on PSU today. But Iowa wasn't firing on all cylinders today.

Considering all above, I still see where Iowa will have opportunities to win all of their remaining games. The offense just needs to sharpen up. Maybe the week off had something to do with it?

Go Hawks!

I will agree with this. I think our defense played pretty well. Couldn't really catch a break either.

Either way our defense is not good. The can be decent by the end of the season I think. Our offense is not good, and I don't think they'll be that good. Our WR's don't scare anyone with their speed and they drop too many balls. I think it's pretty well a given that we aren't going to run the ball that well this year and Coker is not a game changer. Average Big 10 back at best.

We can still win possibly 8 games this year if the ball bounces our way. If the ball bounces the other way we won't make a bowl game.

We're an average team with a decent chance at playing during the Christmas season. That's still a better position to be in than half the other teams in the nation. We're sitting in a position that Iowa State fans make their goal every year "make a bowl"... Think how pathetic that would be.

Yes that was awful and there were plenty of negatives. But I found a couple things to be optimistic about.

1) The defense played pretty well considering
a) how much they were on the field
b) Daniels going down
c) the awful field position they were in all game
d) the many lucky deflected passes that Penn State was fortunate to grab

2) IF (this is a big if), if the announcers are right, that PSU is the best defense in the B10, Iowa's offense should be much better vs other B10 teams. Why?
a) For many players on the team, this was their first real road test in a HUGE hostile atmosphere. Its good to get that off their belts.
b) In the 3rd quarter Iowa's no huddle was rolling and should have kept rolling if McNutt holds onto the ball. So we know the offense could have and should have scored on PSU today. But Iowa wasn't firing on all cylinders today.

Considering all above, I still see where Iowa will have opportunities to win all of their remaining games. The offense just needs to sharpen up. Maybe the week off had something to do with it?

Go Hawks!

I'll sum it up for you, fj3: Bye weeks aren't always a "good" thing.

The defense only played well because they were playing an offense that is anemic. We are in serious trouble the rest of the way as every other offense we will go up against with the exception of maybe Minnesota will torch us. The only hope we have is to out score everyone and if we play like today that won't happen. Fortunately PSU is the best defense we will probably play against.

I will agree with this. I think our defense played pretty well. Couldn't really catch a break either.

Either way our defense is not good. The can be decent by the end of the season I think. Our offense is not good, and I don't think they'll be that good. Our WR's don't scare anyone with their speed and they drop too many balls. I think it's pretty well a given that we aren't going to run the ball that well this year and Coker is not a game changer. Average Big 10 back at best.

We can still win possibly 8 games this year if the ball bounces our way. If the ball bounces the other way we won't make a bowl game.

We're an average team with a decent chance at playing during the Christmas season. That's still a better position to be in than half the other teams in the nation. We're sitting in a position that Iowa State fans make their goal every year "make a bowl"... Think how pathetic that would be.

Not a bad assessment. I would disagree with one thing, though. Our WRs are much better than we saw today. Unfortunately, our QB is "pushing" at times. Still, much as I think this team is closer to 2007 than anyone realizes, our QB is markedly better than the 2007 team had.

Penn St had over 200 yards rushing. I'd hardly consider that the D played a good game. Penn St. is NOT that good.

I'll sum it up for you, fj3: Bye weeks aren't always a "good" thing.

This past week I was feeling very good about this game because of the bye week, because since the USC Orange Bowl collapse KF and staff do very very well with more time to prepare for an opponent.

Now in hindsight, our offense was starting to really click and the week off appears to add a little rust to our game. Time to grab the WD-40 and open it up and get that NW monkey off our backs!