Give me the scoop in Gregory

1977Hawkeye

I haven't seen Dayton play (I missed the game against Illinois this week), so what style of play does Dayton play? Uptempo? Half-court? Do they like to pound it inside and crash the boards, or is it more of a perimeter oriented system?

What about defense? Do they pressure and get in your face, or play alot of zone, etc?

Maybe more importantly, what of Gregory's recruiting abilities? Do you guys think he could get into Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, etc. and grab some solid players?

I haven't seen Dayton play (I missed the game against Illinois this week), so what style of play does Dayton play? Uptempo? Half-court? Do they like to pound it inside and crash the boards, or is it more of a perimeter oriented system?

What about defense? Do they pressure and get in your face, or play alot of zone, etc?

Maybe more importantly, what of Gregory's recruiting abilities? Do you guys think he could get into Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, etc. and grab some solid players?

Last edited:
The guy coaches a pretty frantic pace. Seems to be similar to a Mike Anderson at Mizzou kind of game. Very up tempo. Utilizes athletes, but perhaps they are undisciplined at times.

Good video on coach Gregory:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ihZk1PvQw"]YouTube- Brian Gregory Feature[/ame]

A long time observer at Champaign last week said Dayton was the fastest team he had seen in 20 years at Assembly Hall. I would concurr. They scored 4 baskets before the shot clock go below 33 seconds!
They had 4 guys with 40 inch verticals...
I looked at his roster...his players hail from
Illinois- 2
Michigan-1
Indiana- 2
Ohio-6
DC-1
Fl.-1

Basically seems like he is into some very good AAU programs in Ohio,DC,Ind.,Ill,and Michigan...he has a guy off of Ohio Red,the club that is providing Matta with 5 top 75 recruits next year.
He has an Ohio kid coming out of Oak Hill next year..pg,who is #48 overall on Rivals list.
He also has Brandon Spearmon coming next year..out of illinios state champ,Simeon HS...the kid is a stud wing player.

So, I will say I think he is a solid to very solid recruiter.
He plays MSU style ball...defend agressively man to man, rebound hard,and then sprint to the other end like you are being chased by a cheetah...and if no transition, dribble drive and finish in the paint...or kick.

In other words, I think he could work out ok at Iowa.
If he would bring some of those 5 commits he has coming into dayton next year to Iowa ,it would be a lot cooler.
Now, that said, I do not think he is worth millions more than Forbes. If we have to buy out the dayton deal for 2 million, then give him 2 million for 6-7 years...screw it, hire Forbes for 4 million over 5 years, save the 9 million difference and build that new football facility with that money.

Tom Davis fans should love this guy.

Against Illinois, Dayton used its deep bench to press man-to-man with wholesale substitutions to keep the players fresh. No Flyer played more than 30 minutes, while nine logged at least nine minutes. Six scored eight or more points.

Cool, thanks for the info. One thing I like is that it appears Gregory isn't afraid to cross state borders and pull some players from other states like IL, MI, IN, etc. It seems he would add some much-needed athleticism, and that excites me. Gut feeling says he wouldn't be a bad hire..

Tom Davis fans should love this guy.

Against Illinois, Dayton used its deep bench to press man-to-man with wholesale substitutions to keep the players fresh. No Flyer played more than 30 minutes, while nine logged at least nine minutes. Six scored eight or more points.

I like that, and yeah, I'm a Tom Davis fan. :D Tennessee kind of did the same thing to OSU last night. Pearl thought that made a difference towards the end of the game in terms of fatigue.. Sounds like a complete contrast from the Lickliter style, which in my mind, can't possibly be a bad thing.

He's also very well liked at Dayton. He has a big personality, very charismatic and his players enjoy playing for him. Once he get's rolling, we'll score more points by halftime than Lick did in many entire games.

I'll promise you one thing, it won't take him 18 months to introduce himself to the local AAU bosses. Gregory likes athletes and plays a style they enjoy playing.

He will bring a lot of excitement to Iowa. An added plus, he understands what it takes to win in the Big 10, as he has assistant coaching experience at N'western and MSU.

Oh yeah, his kids graduate.

He's also very well liked at Dayton. He has a big personality, very charismatic and his players enjoy playing for him. Once he get's rolling, we'll score more points by halftime than Lick did in many entire games.

I'll promise you one thing, it won't take him 18 months to introduce himself to the local AAU bosses. Gregory likes athletes and plays a style they enjoy playing.

He will bring a lot of excitement to Iowa. An added plus, he understands what it takes to win in the Big 10, as he has assistant coaching experience at N'western and MSU.

Oh yeah, his kids graduate.

That all sounds good. I'm liking Gregory the more I read and hear about him.

If you could build a guy that is complete polar opposite of Lick, Gregory would be that guy. In personality, how he runs practice, what his players think of him, to the style of play.

We all may need to look up the definition again, but fast break basketball will be back in Iowa City.

If you could build a guy that is complete polar opposite of Lick, Gregory would be that guy. In personality, how he runs practice, what his players think of him, to the style of play.

We all may need to look up the definition again, but fast break basketball will be back in Iowa City.

I could get behind this guy. What I really want is a coach that isn't afraid to recruit a few athletes and make basketball fun to watch again. It seems like Gregory would be that type of coach.

Of course I'd like to win some games eventually, but at least with an entertaining style of play, the rebuilding process would be considerably more bearable to watch than what we've seen the past 3 seasons.

If he's so great. Why does he have 3 7th's, an 11th and a 2nd in the last 5 years? Do you think you would be happy with that? Do you think we should be able to hire a guy who can finish in the top half of his conference more times than not?

If he can't get it done at Dayton, where there are a ton of recruits in his own state, what makes you think he can get it done here?

I really like what I have learned about Gregory over the past several days. I was able to watch their game against the hated Illini the other night...a very impressive showing by his UD team. The athleticism of his players and their style was exciting to see.

I hope that it is Gregory. He would be a great fit at Iowa.

If Gregory & Izzo were facing each other from opposing benches, the real battle would be to see who could point at their head the most while talking to their players

Latest posts