Give ISU credit and blame Fran some

I think everything in your post was pretty spot-on, except the bolded part. They're called free throws for a reason, and he's not a Freshman anymore. He needs to make at least one of those.

I totally agree about all of the and-1 attempts. If you're going to foul them, make sure that they don't make the freaking shot. Make it worth it and make them earn it. Gesell is terrible at this. He gives up a lot of and-1's.

Leaving Marble out and Jok in is pretty puzzling too. Maybe Marble was just that gassed? That's one of the only criticisms I have of Fran from the game.

Agree Gessel needs to make 1, but just saying from being there (not sure who else here was) it was just freakin nuts. 10x whatever the next loudest crowd will be on road this year. Boards were shaking. Marbles FTs weren't near as loud in there.

Personally I just feel like Fran forgot to get Dev in. But only Fran knows. He took him out for that TV timeout coming up. He probably had at least a good 5 min rest. If he were that gassed, I'm guessing he wouldn't have rushed him back on court after the 1st possession post timeout.

Yep could be right. Seems like there were a few times we just needed to hack hard though. Gessel seems to do this often in games.

Been seeing a lot of people giving White a hard time about the rebound he lost late. People do realize he got absolutely raked across the arms right? To me it was one of the most obvious foul calls of the night that was missed.
Also a huge play that hasn't been brought up, perhaps more important than the free throws was Marble missing the easiest layup you can get off an in bounds play. Just flat out shanked it. Cannot miss those easy chances in a game you know is gonna go down to the wire.

My son and his buddies watching the game were pizzed that White had full and sole possession of that rebound and the clown player not only reached in with contact but from the side and behind, I was screaming at the refs.

Terrible no call, and perhaps the game. Also, white and all the hawks need to get stronger with the ball. I wouldnt mind seeing a couple elbows to the opponents chest in the next few games just to let them know.

I think everything in your post was pretty spot-on, except the bolded part. They're called free throws for a reason, and he's not a Freshman anymore. He needs to make at least one of those.

I totally agree about all of the and-1 attempts. If you're going to foul them, make sure that they don't make the freaking shot. Make it worth it and make them earn it. Gesell is terrible at this. He gives up a lot of and-1's.

Leaving Marble out and Jok in is pretty puzzling too. Maybe Marble was just that gassed? That's one of the only criticisms I have of Fran from the game.

I think younger players like gesell, clemmons are used to being the quick handed player on their AAU and high school team where they could put there hand on the top of the ball and knock it free.

Time for them to learn this isnt jr high or the NBA where you can get away with that. Big guys with the ball are strong enough to get slapped, hold onto the ball, make the shot, and get the foul called on our little guys.

Now I will say that Gesell is one of the few hawks who will and can drive past a few guys and get a layup.

If marble and white get to the hoop , and uthoff, they need to be looking to dunk it. Draw the foul and dunk it.

Yep could be right. Seems like there were a few times we just needed to hack hard though. Gessel seems to do this often in games.

Been seeing a lot of people giving White a hard time about the rebound he lost late. People do realize he got absolutely raked across the arms right? To me it was one of the most obvious foul calls of the night that was missed.
Also a huge play that hasn't been brought up, perhaps more important than the free throws was Marble missing the easiest layup you can get off an in bounds play. Just flat out shanked it. Cannot miss those easy chances in a game you know is gonna go down to the wire.

I've been saying the same thing about the White play. It was the key play of the game IMO. That's where it really turned. We don't even need a foul called if we just maintain possession I think it's over.

It's a shame we don't have another meaningful game until 12/31. We are all forced to relive and discuss this endlessly because of the long break. Brighter days are ahead. They just won't be here for awhile.

Whitey or utoff should have been on the foul line period. Marble has been clanging rim the last couple games at the line .

You mean that they'll basically get to rape our players while the new emphasis on not allowing hand-checking and a whole bunch of contact is thrown out the window? Or when we play MSU? No way... I don't buy it!

Have you watched games with teams that traditionally get the calls? A lot of the same contact is still being let go. The problem with the new rules is that some ridiculous contact is still being let go, so I think there will still be a huge disparity on the road no matter where you go.

"blame Fran some" is in response to the FT discrepancy based on gameplanning.....not blaming Fran for the loss or anything else.

Quit being a "know it all" and allow other people to have opinions about the game.

Maybe we should've just let them shoot 3s. We may have lost by 25, but at least there wouldn't have been that free throw discrepancy because of game plan. Wonder if anyone would "blame Fran some" in that case.

Maybe we should've just let them shoot 3s. We may have lost by 25, but at least there wouldn't have been that free throw discrepancy because of game plan. Wonder if anyone would "blame Fran some" in that case.

The game plan I was referring to was our Offensive gameplan of not driving as much and initiating contact not our Defensive gameplan. I think we did a great job on defense not letting them win with 3's and get the crowd going.....no complaints whatsoever on the defensive end. I think making ISU shoot free throws kept the game at a "slower" pace and kept the crowd more subdued.

I feel like everyone thinks I hate Fran.....I think he's an amazing coach and great for Iowa. I was just trying to bring up something I felt about the aggressiveness of the teams on offense in relation to the fouls called on each team.

The only "blame" on Fran is, as usual, there were a couple wtf substitutions and unproductive line-ups left out there a little too long. It's great he has a lot of confidence in his guys but he sometimes loses track of time betting on the come during particular stretches.

I'll lean more toward give ISU credit. Very good team of average athleticism, above average talent that work their butts off and are well coached to take advantage of opportunities. If they had Iowa's depth and length they'd be a lock for b-12 champs.

Accept a fluky loss against a high quality, legit top 20 team -- top 10 on their home court. Now accept that it is only a good thing for Iowa that you admit ISU is legit and you hope they stay that way all season.

fran should've taken an intentional T in the first half, that's the only thing he should've done differently. maybe the refs would've called a fair(er) game after that. still comes down to missed free throws at the end.

Latest posts