Give Adam Robinson Some Love

You're exactly right. He deserves a ton of credit. He's averaging over 100 yards per game, is a great pass receiver, tough as nails and appears to be emerging as a leader. Not sure you could ask more from a sophomore.

I also don't buy the "he lacks speed" argument. He looks quick to me and speed is alway overrated at the running back position anyway. I think Walter Payton was the greatest running back of all time and he did not have break away speed. He followed his blocks and could finish a run with that extra 2-3 yards.

Personally ARob gets my vote for MVP of this team to this point of the season. He has pretty much done it all.

It's hard to buy the "lacks speed" argument when he's repeatedly outrun defenders to the endzone.

He's not slow, but he doesn't have breakaway speed, either. Just a few guys from the past couple years who did/do: C.J. Spiller, Trent Richardson, Percy Harvin, Joe McKnight, LaMichael James, Kenjon Barner. That's just a sample, there are quite a few more if you really want to think about it. THOSE guys had breakaway speed. You weren't/aren't going to run them down from behind in the open field. A-Rob has been caught from behind more than once on long runs. That doesn't make him a bad back, or even a slow one. Breakaway speed is a little overrated. But it IS a tool that is useful if teamed with other, more important traits (strength, toughness, shiftiness, blocking, etc.), and one that A-Rob lacks. But he's still an excellent player for us, and I wouldn't trade him for any other school's top back.

We all love the kid and his game, but I think most of our anxieties come from the possibility of him going down from shouldering such a ridiculous load. There's no one behind him except unknown quantities. At the end of the day, we're probably all a little guilty of not being thrilled about relying solely on a sophomore running back who wasn't recruited much out of HS. At least I am.

But my god, when he busted tackles on that HUGE 3rd down catch for 26 yards on Saturday, I became a fan for life.

HAHAHA. Total secret. We're all just "proles" anyway.

In the pic we got with Ken O'Keefe, he looked at the beer-mug hat and asked if we got it at the Hawk Shop. When we said no and that it was home-made, he said....hmmm, they should start selling them!

HAHAHA

LOL, how could he look at you guys and not be humbled?

My wife has been big A-Rob fan for 2 years now (running style reminds us a lot of TD - Terrel Davis - from the Denver Broncos). That 3rd down play was "HUGE". He has taken on and embraced a vital role thus far. Godspeed. Thanks A-Rob!

Adam Robinson may not be a 'speed' back but he makes up for it by being composed of steel coated in teflon with a diesel heart.

Adam is a great kid. Show him some support and he returns the favor 10-fold.

He was humbled and appreciative that we asked to get a picture with him outside the Big House last Saturday after the game.

BigHouse%20Adam%20Robinson%2010.16.2010.jpg

WADR, you guys look like three blasted Hawkeye fanatic stalkers (especially the one with the handmade upside down beer mug for a hat) who were out in the sun too long. When you approached I'm surprised A-Rob didn't show some of his break-away speed straight to the team bus. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure the detractors are no more.

I hear you. However, last year, and possibly earlier this year, people were saying negative things about him. I have always said, ever since mid-last year, that he should be the starter. He's just a game-time player, and he's the type of back that will help win b10 games. He did it last year, and he's proving he can do it this year.

Honestly, I'm not sure why some people didn't give him props right away. Objectively, he deserved it.

I got you Racer. And I must admit I am one of those guys that wish we had a back that was a legitimate threat to bust off a 60 yard run on any given play. That being said, a chain moving run game and big play pass game is really the kind of football I prefer.

As far as comparisons, I think the best comparison for ARob is Mike Hart.

I kind of wish we'd throw more passes to him out of the backfield instead of the tired old run up the gut when they've stacked the line.

His catch on the final drive iced the game and while he doesn't have breakaway speed, or impressive jukes.....he does just enough to slip out of tackles and get an extra 2-3 yards instead of falling down on initial contact.

I would like to see him get some breathers though, as he needs to be healthy for this stretch.

I got you Racer. And I must admit I am one of those guys that wish we had a back that was a legitimate threat to bust off a 60 yard run on any given play. That being said, a chain moving run game and big play pass game is really the kind of football I prefer.

As far as comparisons, I think the best comparison for ARob is Mike Hart.

My buddy and I were trying to think of the best comparison for A-Rob at the hotel on Friday night, and that was the one we concluded with as well. It fits perfectly. And if anybody would turn their nose hope at having a Mike Hart in our backfield, they need to have their football IQ checked.

To answer the OP's question: AR has never put the ball on the ground in a Hawkeye uni. He did lose the ball in a goal line leap v. AZ last year at Kinnick, but it was ruled a TD before he lost it. This is another trait he shares w/ Mike Hart.

...a sophomore running back who wasn't recruited much out of HS. At least I am.

And that must be the underlying bias for those who are slow, late or reluctant to get on the A-Train. Quick to anoint Coker or Rogers as the second-coming before they have proven anything.

A-Rob has been there and done that, regardless of his deficient Scout-defined pedigree.

I hear you. However, last year, and possibly earlier this year, people were saying negative things about him...
Honestly, I'm not sure why some people didn't give him props right away. Objectively, he deserved it.

Worst public trashing--away from message boards--would have been Eric Thigpen on the Golden Harvest Huddle post-game radio show after Ball State. ET sounded as blind as message board posters.

Latest posts