Getting the Point

These all look like very talented players. Each of them have the ability to become a great player at the University of Iowa. To go along with their natural ability the coaching staff at the University of Iowa is top notch at developing player's talents to reach their full potential. I would expect one of the recruits to commit to the University of Iowa soon.

These all look like very talented players. Each of them have the ability to become a great player at the University of Iowa. To go along with their natural ability the coaching staff at the University of Iowa is top notch at developing player's talents to reach their full potential. I would expect one of the recruits to commit to the University of Iowa soon.

Love the + outlook.

These kids are probably looking at a redshirt their first season with Bohannon/Dailey being seniors and Connor being the immediate backup. Hopefully they're aware of that and cool with taking a season to develop at the college level.

These kids are probably looking at a redshirt their first season with Bohannon/Dailey being seniors and Connor being the immediate backup. Hopefully they're aware of that and cool with taking a season to develop at the college level.

According to people on this forum, Bohannon is a 2, Dailey is a 3, and Connor is a 1 but not a "true 1". A true 1, aka someone who plays defense first with a lot of quickness to cut off driving lanes, would certainly see playing time right away. We need defensive stoppers more than anything, and driving the lane successfully would definitely earn a place on offense. No waiting required.

According to people on this forum, Bohannon is a 2, Dailey is a 3, and Connor is a 1 but not a "true 1". A true 1, aka someone who plays defense first with a lot of quickness to cut off driving lanes, would certainly see playing time right away. We need defensive stoppers more than anything, and driving the lane successfully would definitely earn a place on offense. No waiting required.

While I don't disagree with any of that...I think Fran does. If Bohannon stays healthy he's going to shatter the assist record at Iowa. I think thats all the ammo Fran needs to claim he's a PG

While I don't disagree with any of that...I think Fran does. If Bohannon stays healthy he's going to shatter the assist record at Iowa. I think thats all the ammo Fran needs to claim he's a PG
There are lots of teams that would love to have Bohannon.

I am hoping that a player will come out of nowhere unexpectedly and be that defensive lock down guard with explosiveness on the fast break. That is the missing piece that will separate this team from being a slightly better than average Fran team to one of Fran’s best teams to wear an Iowa uniform.

I don't think anyone on this board has issues with Bohannan's offense. He can shoot from 3, he can hit the mid-range floater, he's one of the best free throw shooters in college basketball, his turnovers are reasonable, he shows good savvy, and he facilitates well. He knows how to feed post players at an angle where they can do something with the ball, not a skill every point guard has, and that's part of the reason Cordell Pemsl was something like 60% from the field his freshman year.

There's this other end of the floor that's part of basketball, too. And he needs a lot of improvement at that end. A lot of our defensive breakdowns begin because he can't stay in front of his man and the scramble begins. Let's see how much he's worked on that over the summer. And how much ambition he has to improve his defense.

I don't think anyone on this board has issues with Bohannan's offense. He can shoot from 3, he can hit the mid-range floater, he's one of the best free throw shooters in college basketball, his turnovers are reasonable, he shows good savvy, and he facilitates well. He knows how to feed post players at an angle where they can do something with the ball, not a skill every point guard has, and that's part of the reason Cordell Pemsl was something like 60% from the field his freshman year.

There's this other end of the floor that's part of basketball, too. And he needs a lot of improvement at that end. A lot of our defensive breakdowns begin because he can't stay in front of his man and the scramble begins. Let's see how much he's worked on that over the summer. And how much ambition he has to improve his defense.

Very good assessment of Bo’s strengths and the area we he needs to improve.

I would add dribble drive on O being missing. That and D.

His defensive deficiencies are so brutal and so basic. Forget about the athleticism and height challenges for a minute.
He doesn't defend the ball in a proper stance.
He doesn't put a hand up, which allows players to shoot or dump passes into the post, right over his head.
He goes under screens, rather than switch or fight through them.
He lets players face cut him all game long (this is a problem with lots of our players).
He doesn't move with the ball, which is a must if you want to keep from being face cut.
These are all things that are Defense 101 and he's too lazy to do them. I say he's too lazy to do them because nobody can play at the level he has, for the teams he has, and not have been taught these things. He chooses not to do them. Add to this the fact that he's not quick and he's fairly short for a D-1 guard and it's not hard to understand why he gets beaten like a rented mule on defense.

He could have had many more assists if he would have been able to pass the ball quicker, but he was usually guarded so closely by one or even, sometimes two opponents. There were many times that he missed people on the wings ahead of him that might have led to baskets, especially Moss.....

Actually, it is somewhat remarkable that he has as many assists as he does, he is an extremely savvy and courtwise player.....

:cool:

He could have had many more assists if he would have been able to pass the ball quicker, but he was usually guarded so closely by one or even, sometimes two opponents. There were many times that he missed people on the wings ahead of him that might have led to baskets, especially Moss.....

Actually, it is somewhat remarkable that he has as many assists as he does, he is an extremely savvy and courtwise player.....

:cool:

There were games last year where it looked like the other team was mugging him.

There's the mental part of D and there's the physical part. Last year we lacked in both. I haven't seen a whole lot of quickness added to the roster so hopefully Fran is getting them mentally tough to at least improve.

Wait... let me turn this on...... Oh shit!.... my battery is dead. Could you wait till tomorrow, and I'll try to remember to put in a new battery.
giphy.gif