Get Prepared for some Tough Times

This is a really odd post. The idea that if the #2 person in an organization is removed due to being literally the worst performing person out of 130 similar jobs in the country, that is somehow damaging to the organization as a whole....well, that's just a bizarre perspective, whether you're discussing business, government, or any other organization.
Unless that # 2 was a big part of your success. I believe that Brian was that. Former player and son of our legendary HOF coach. He carried weight in those halls, in that locker room, with those players and other coaches. Iowa won more games when he was here. Our floor became 8 wins instead of 7. Iowa started playing relevant football a lot longer every season. I felt like that was because he had his dad's ear more than anyone and likely was the grunt worker in the program. He likely cared more about Iowa football than anyone else as well. That kind of investment is hard to put a price on.

I realize I am in the minority here...but I think that move was like cutting the arm off our coach. I knew at the very best case, it would be a down year for Iowa football. Maybe 4 or 5 losses? That happens when you take a spoke out of a wheel that has been working well for so many miles.

No use crying over spilt milk though - soon we'll know exactly what it's like not to have either Ferentz coaching and that was going to happen either way. I just think we'll get there that much quicker now and again, I've been consistent here... I think Beth making that move was the beginning of the end...which I am totally fine and prepared for. Doesn't change my views on it or how it's happened.

I wonder if Beth is operating with a strong presumption that SW will succeed Kirk - that continuity is key
Far from convinced that Seth has basically any qualifications for the job. Hoping we can reel in one of the Stoops, but not expecting that at all. Surely P4 coordinator experience is the floor, with proven G5 HC experience strongly preferred?

Here's my take on the offensive side of the ball. Were way to early in to see any results. Some things may be different but players are the same and until Lester starts getting the recruits that fit his scheme little isn't going to change. I think it's ridiculous to think that results would be seen immediately when we were literally at the bottom of the nation in total offense. Getting rid of BF was absolutely the right thing to do and what needed to be done, but it's unfair to Lester expecting immediate results. There's a great deal of work he needs to do to get things back to where we need them and that takes time.

You make good points. My worry is that our current recruiting level isn't going to keep pace with other teams in the conference, especially when you add in the NIL transfer$.

I watched way too much football this past weekend and when I see teams like Indiana and Illinois playing very well, and then watching Iowa's lines (both of them) get shoved around all day, I'm not sure there is an easy answer.

Obviously, we need a better QB. Is one coming? I'm not so sure. Also, Iowa seems to have gotten shoved around by a MSU team with a first year coach. That game was closer, in terms of points, than it even was on the field. MSU never punted.

Hopefully my doomsday attitude is unwarranted, but that game was surprising. Every phase was owned by the opponent.

I'm not buying that perspective. Lester has 5 returning and experienced OLinemen, an NFL TE with competent depth at that position, one of the best RBs in the nation, and 2 QBs with BTen experience, to work with NOW. Add in a game-breaking kickoff/punt returner to use on offense, plus two new, surprisingly good WRs -- Vander Zee and Gill -- and frankly, he's got more to work with from a personnel perspective NOW that he will for the next couple years.
This is the shocking part. That senior-laden team was manhandled. Next year could actually be a lot worse, and likely will be.

Iowa is a "developmental program" and we had good reason to think that 10 wins was very possible this year. Next year, they'll have much less experience, no proven QB, a lot of new starters, and games against:

ISU, MSU, Indiana (!), Oregon, PSU, Neb, USC, Wisc.

There are a few teams in that group that we don't play this year that may pose real challenges.

Unless that # 2 was a big part of your success. I believe that Brian was that. Former player and son of our legendary HOF coach. He carried weight in those halls, in that locker room, with those players and other coaches. Iowa won more games when he was here. Our floor became 8 wins instead of 7. Iowa started playing relevant football a lot longer every season. I felt like that was because he had his dad's ear more than anyone and likely was the grunt worker in the program. He likely cared more about Iowa football than anyone else as well. That kind of investment is hard to put a price on.

I realize I am in the minority here...but I think that move was like cutting the arm off our coach. I knew at the very best case, it would be a down year for Iowa football. Maybe 4 or 5 losses? That happens when you take a spoke out of a wheel that has been working well for so many miles.

No use crying over spilt milk though - soon we'll know exactly what it's like not to have either Ferentz coaching and that was going to happen either way. I just think we'll get there that much quicker now and again, I've been consistent here... I think Beth making that move was the beginning of the end...which I am totally fine and prepared for. Doesn't change my views on it or how it's happened.
Respectfully, I could not disagree more.
I think Brian Ferentz' tenure is the primary reason for what we see on the field today.
An OC is responsible for identifying/ recruiting talent, developing talent and offensive strategy and tactics. In my opinion, Brian was a failure at all three aspects of his job.
- Iowa has not beaten a Top 25 team since 2019.
- In our last four outings against top ranked teams, we have scored 7 points.
- We were ranked last/nearly last in the country in total offense for the last three years.
- We have not had a B10 quality QB or WR's in 5 years.
- We have not had an OL on the All Big 10 1st or 2nd team for the previous two years - One in the last three years. - this year doesn't look too good either.

The offensive performance you see on the field today, has been years in the making. Not the result of his leaving.

Last edited:
Respectfully, I could not disagree more.
I think Brian Ferentz' tenure is the primary reason for what you see on the field today.
An OC is responsible for identifying/ recruiting talent, developing talent and offensive strategy and tactics. In my opinion, Brian was a failure at all three aspects of his job.
- Iowa has not beaten a Top 25 team since 2019.
- In our last four outings against top ranked teams, we have scored 7 points.
- We were ranked last/nearly last in the country in total offense for the last three years.
- We have not had a B10 quality QB or WR's in 5 years.
- We have not had an OL on the All Big 10 1st or 2nd team for the previous two years - this year doesn't look too good either.

The offensive performance you see on the field today, has been years in the making. Not the result of his leaving.

Damn dude I feel like Larry Station just blasted us all with ten tons of truth.

This is why I was so upset and disappointed. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see what you so obviously pointed out.

One of the nation’s best defenses bringing back almost every vital piece. It would not be stretching things to see Iowa with a top five defense. Then you look at an experienced offensive line, a healthy Cade back, and a very good running back room. Oh and then there is a stud tight in mixed in.

We had a very favorable schedule with our toughest games at home with the exception of Ohio State. Expectations should be very high.

Maybe I jinxed us before the season when I posted a comment along with another poster on here as with both pointed out what happens when Iowa goes into a season with such high expectations.

Have plenty of bed sheets available I smell a pile of shit a coming. We both pointed that out.

I see the same stuff coming down the road that you and others are saying. It could be ugly for a few years and hopefully not decades. I was hoping this year could be one for decades ahead. A good high to carry us for what may be ahead. Damn painful and I let my emotions get the best of me in expressing my displeasure toward others on here.

Like a few others on here I don’t have forever left in the tank. Been following Iowa football with my Dad since I was age six (thats 58 year's). A lot of blood, sweat, and tears.

One other thing you NEVER let an offensive back get behind you with time running out. Phil should have rushing no more than three on that last series and had eight defensive backs out watching for the pass. He then should have told those eight back that what ever you do NO OFFENSIVE BACK gets behind you.

Defensive back coverage 101. I knew that at twelve years old. Just shaking my head that Iowa’s defense allowed that against Iowa State. Unacceptable!!!

Latest posts