Gesell

So hold the ball to run clock and THEN run the offense. Don't just hold it til the 5 second mark and run ISO, especially when we don't have that type of player on the floor.

You can't run the clock down to get the last shot, then start running the regular offense and expect to get an open shot at the buzzer.

You do realize you initially typed 25 seconds and not 2.5 right?
Typo, but still doesn't take away from the fact that he threw it off the backboard in their last regular time possession...he didn't drive to the basket quick enough. Fran shoulda called a timeout...but it worked out for them anyway.

Typo, but still doesn't take away from the fact that he threw it off the backboard in their last regular time possession...he didn't drive to the basket quick enough. Fran shoulda called a timeout...but it worked out for them anyway.

He ran it properly. Take the shot of it is there, or dish for outside jumper. 2.5 sec is plenty of time for a pass and shot in BB.

He air balled two layups late in the game. He missed another free throw late in the game. He once again went iso on the last play of regulation and proceeded to throw it at the back of the backboard. He is slow on defense, which is why he get so many fouls called on him.

We really should expect more from a 4 year starter at this position. Even his biggest supporters should at the very least acknowledge these issues in his game.

Gesell is critical to this teams success. The OP is an idiot if he actually believes they'd be better off without him.

It is a strange phenomenon though when you look at how Gesell plays throughout the game and then has a tendency to just completely lose his composure in the final couple of minutes. During the game he tends to be the guy who keeps them in their offense and gets them back on track when they get out of control. At the end of the game he just kind of loses it. Obviously I'm talking about his poor late game free throw shooting as well.

I'm still not sure this team has a guy that they can count on late in games. Jok made a huge 3 last night though. Maybe if he can keep gaining confidence then he can be that guy.

But as for the original post... dumb. MG is a huge part of this team and they need his leadership badly.

I have also noticed MG's problems in the last few minutes. He's too good a ballplayer to struggle like that, especially with his experience in big games. I also wish he would shoot more. He does have a good medium range jump shot, and he's a hell of a competitor.

Is his elbow fully healed?

He air balled two layups late in the game. He missed another free throw late in the game. He once again went iso on the last play of regulation and proceeded to throw it at the back of the backboard. He is slow on defense, which is why he get so many fouls called on him.

We really should expect more from a 4 year starter at this position. Even his biggest supporters should at the very least acknowledge these issues in his game.

leads the team in steals, assists.... 3.5 assist to turnover ratio is great. Do you even watch the games? He is a solid defender.

leads the team in steals, assists.... 3.5 assist to turnover ratio is great. Do you even watch the games? He is a solid defender.

I watch the games. Did you read my post? I don't disagree w anything you say regarding his stats over the course of the short season. I am only referring to his play toward the end of games. His play toward the end of games is inconsistent at best.

His defense is not good. If it was he wouldn't be in so much foul trouble against athletic teams.

Last edited:
So what did everyone think of Gesell in the late game situation yesterday?

Gesell%20Dunk%20RP2.gif

So what did everyone think of Gesell in the late game situation yesterday?

Gesell%20Dunk%20RP2.gif

Don't you dare come in here and post something positive. You're only allowed to post in this thread if you post something about us being better off without Gesell.

/sarcasm

He's a C+ division I PG.

Most games he's average. A couple of games below average. And then a good-to-great game every 6-7. When he's below average it seems to come at clutch times, too. Turnovers. I have gotten really tired of media asking about losing important games and him saying, 'well, we've learned what we need to do to win.' Have heard that for 3 years.

That being said, Iowa would be worse if he was not on the floor.

But I'm looking forward for new PG in 2016-17.

I had two thoughts. That was awesome! Second one: where is this at then end of other close games?

I don't know why they decided to guard Gesell with Abrahamson. I was telling my bother who I was watching the game with, that Gesell needs to just blow by him. Also, where was the help D for Drake? I mean nobody is sagging in the lane? You can't just give up a dribble drive to the basket uncontested.

Good play by Gesell, he saw it was there and took it to the hole and finished.

Not really expecting him to be great every game like he was against Carolina last year. Given this point in his career I should expect and Iowa needs for him to be more consistent. Not so much statistically, but making smart plays, being clutch.

This would not have happened against an athletic team. MG plays great against teams like Drake, and then looks awful when athletic guards pressure him.

The dunk was awesome. The free throw wasn't. Great all around game though. He's shooting really good from 3 so far.

A lot of that is because he had some time off to let his elbow heal. So many on here are quick to criticize and don't understand how an injury like that can affect your entire mechanics set.

Latest posts