Gazette says chemistry

May has openly said that the decision to recruit over him has done nothing but drive him to succeed more. the dude could have look at the second half of his season and what people were saying about him and packed it up and transferred but instead he spent the offseason working his butt off. i think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I think he got homesick. Period. To speculate otherwise is just ridiculous.

ERIC MAY, time to step up and play with heart and confidence. This team needs you

I'm not feeling the homesick excuse, just like I didn't with ISU's Justin Hamilton.

Hubbard probably got over the idea of homesickness via 4 years at the Graybar Hotel. He could have had as many conjugal visits as he pleased in Iowa.

The chemistry idea also doesn't sit well with me. I would think a 26 year old could ignore/work through those issues, especially since a professional paycheck may have been in his future. I also bet he learned how to get along with a diverse group of personalities in the slammer.

My arms aren't very long; I'm only 5'6".
As I said, I may be off base. I coached varsity basketball for 6 years and another 6 years as an assistant. I would be shocked if some of what I said was true. Kids, especially when they are used to losing, look at spots in the lineup as theirs. It becomes a selfish, disruptive entity. Also, I spoke in person with someone who was being recruited a few years ago; he commented on the rift/cliques between the classes. I worry that without J. Cole's team first influence we may go backwards with our leadership. We'll see. Go Hawks!
You're not alone

How is it obvious? I can easily see Fran sitting him down and having a "this isn't working out" discussion. Then, giving the kid a break by framing it as his decision.

Losing Hubbard hurts, he has skills. But no one player is bigger than the program...not matter how desperate we are to turn it around.

So where is the breaking point? So when do we go ISU and start bringing in anybody and everybody. With all of Hubbard's baggage we took him in and that did not even work I would say we are pretty close.

Has any group of seniors seen as much attrition as this group? After the committed, they lost Smith, Freeman, Kelly, Tucker, Fuller, Crawford, Palmer, Brust, Lawson, Payne, Peterson, Davis and now Hub.

Maybe these guys need to graduate to lift the jinx, or whatever.

Can't believe I forgot JPete and Davis.

Just have to work with the common denominator on this one. Coaches gone, players still there.

[/B]

So where is the breaking point? So when do we go ISU and start bringing in anybody and everybody. With all of Hubbard's baggage we took him in and that did not even work I would say we are pretty close.

I suppose by "anybody and everybody" you mean quality talent, then yes, that would be a good plan. It's what ISU is doing.

I'm not feeling the homesick excuse, just like I didn't with ISU's Justin Hamilton.

Hubbard probably got over the idea of homesickness via 4 years at the Graybar Hotel. He could have had as many conjugal visits as he pleased in Iowa.

The chemistry idea also doesn't sit well with me. I would think a 26 year old could ignore/work through those issues, especially since a professional paycheck may have been in his future. I also bet he learned how to get along with a diverse group of personalities in the slammer.

+1. Spot-on.

I suppose by "anybody and everybody" you mean quality talent, then yes, that would be a good plan. It's what ISU is doing.

With baggage...FH is doing what he has to do so I am not going to hate on it.

You are undeniably correct, but that baggage is appearing more and more in the rearview mirror with each passing day. And none of the baggage was as serious as Hubbard's to begin with.

And don't forget, ISU is signing quality HS guys with no baggage, too. You can watch Georges Niang on ESPNU tonight. He's been tearing it up.

Maybe what the Gazette meant was that he did poorly in chemistry during summer classes.

Or maybe:

coke-01.gif

The reality is the gazette has it right. He was rooming with Basabe, and for whatever reason they just didn't quite get along, and IC is a pretty lonely place for a 26 year old ex con.

It want a clique thing, or a jealous thing, it was just a I'm here all alone thing.

The reality is the gazette has it right. He was rooming with Basabe, and for whatever reason they just didn't quite get along, and IC is a pretty lonely place for a 26 year old ex con.

It want a clique thing, or a jealous thing, it was just a I'm here all alone thing.

Wow. Really? Mel seems like a likeable enough young fellow this shouldn't have been an issue. Although perhaps the age difference was. Fran should have hooked him up with the Gatens'.

Wow. Really? Mel seems like a likeable enough young fellow this shouldn't have been an issue. Although perhaps the age difference was. Fran should have hooked him up with the Gatens'.

Yeah they seem like they would have been two peas in a pod.

ISU has taken on a lot more talent with a lot less baggage. Iowa St is so far ahead of Iowa right now. ISU is filled with B12 level talent right now, while once again we will be playing a lot of guys who wouldn't even get minutes on any other B10 team.

Latest posts