Gayle Sayers Almost a Hawkeye?

HawkeyeShane

According to Gale, during tonight's Cubs game, he was almost a Hawkeye but that Jerry Burns never took the time to meet with him and KU's head coach made the effort and landed him...

OUCH!

:mad:

Last edited:
According to Gale, during tonight's Cubs game, he was almost a Hawkeye but that Jerry Burns never took the time to meet with him and KU's head coach made the effort and landed him...

OUCH!

:mad:

I heard that, too. What a dumb move. Sounds like one of many he had though.

I heard that, too. What a dumb move. Sounds like one of many he had though.

He did beat Michigan and OSU in the same season once (1962)...but managed to finish 4-5 overall that year...and in 1965, Playboy picked Iowa Number 1 in the pre-season and picked them to go 9-1...they finished 1-9...:confused:

Burns was too busy dismantling an excellent football program.

Now, now; Burnsy got NO help from Evy, and with the budget cuts and spies on the team , it's been said that Evashevski was the villain that sabotaged Iowa Football to stage his own comeback.

It was his tampering with Ray Nagel's staff and football players that finally got Evy fired.

Sayers is a motivational speaker now, and he came to where I work one afternoon. The story he told was that he was set to go to Iowa. His high school coach changed the offensive approach to mirror what Iowa was doing. Along comes Burns and changes Iowa's offense, and fails to really keep up with Sayers from the beginning. he felt slighted and chose to go to Kansas. How great would have been to have him during those lean Burns years.

Latest posts