Gatens playing for Phoenix in summer league

blairhawk

According to his twitter, Matt Gatens will be pursuing his career with the Phoenix Suns summer league squad.

I wish the best for Matt but if Haluska couldn't stick there is absolutely no way Matt does. Hope he lands over seas. The NBA AAA league is a joke.

I wish the best for Matt but if Haluska couldn't stick there is absolutely no way Matt does. Hope he lands over seas. The NBA AAA league is a joke.

Look at their senior years:
Compare College Basketball Players - StatSheet.com

Keep in mind, Adam took the majority of possessions for Iowa that year of out of necessity.

Gatens is a better shooter and a better defender than Haluska was.
Haluska was more athletic and could finish better.

I don't necessarily think coming out of college that Haluska was better than Gatens at all.

Look at their senior years:
Compare College Basketball Players - StatSheet.com

Keep in mind, Adam took the majority of possessions for Iowa that year of out of necessity.

Gatens is a better shooter and a better defender than Haluska was.
Haluska was more athletic and could finish better.

I don't necessarily think coming out of college that Haluska was better than Gatens at all.

I do. Neither would make the NBA for their defense. They could defend in college but the NBA they won't be anything but average at best at defense.

Haluska was just a better player. Gatens was great this year especially towards the end of the year, but Adam could score from everywhere. He was a better athlete, rebounded better, passed better. He was just better.

I do. Neither would make the NBA for their defense. They could defend in college but the NBA they won't be anything but average at best at defense.

Haluska was just a better player. Gatens was great this year especially towards the end of the year, but Adam could score from everywhere. He was a better athlete, rebounded better, passed better. He was just better.

You failed miserably with the 2nd paragraph of this post.

Haluska was drafted and Gatens was never on the radar. Haluska was a way, way better NBA prospect than Gatens.

You failed miserably with the 2nd paragraph of this post.

How so? He was better. He scored more. He averaged more rebounds. He averaged more assists. He was 1st team all Big 10. He was drafted in the NBA. He played in the NBA. He was better.

Are we really even debating this? I love Gatens but he's not Haluska.

Haluska was drafted and Gatens was never on the radar. Haluska was a way, way better NBA prospect than Gatens.

The 2007 draft was pretty damn weak, overall. This year's draft has been lauded as one of the deepest of all time. If you want to say Haluska was the better pro prospect, fine. But don't use the fact that Haluska was drafted and Gatens wasn't on the radar as your reasoning, because the two drafts were entirely different.

The 2007 draft was pretty damn weak, overall. This year's draft has been lauded as one of the deepest of all time. If you want to say Haluska was the better pro prospect, fine. But don't use the fact that Haluska was drafted and Gatens wasn't on the radar as your reasoning, because the two drafts were entirely different.

The draft with Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Al Horford, Mike Conley Jr, Jeff Green, Noah, Spencer Hawes, Thadeus Young, Rodney Stuckey, Jason Smith, Wilson Chandler, Aaron Brooks, Arron Afflalo, Carl Landry, Glen Davis, Marc Gasol, Aaron Gray, etc was a weak draft? That draft was better and more deep than the draft last night.

I even left out guys like Corey Brewer, Brandon Wright, Julian Wright, Acie Law, etc who people thought would be really good.

2007 was a much better draft and Haluska went 43rd. That's impressive. Gatens wasn't even on the top 100 board.

Can we let Herby back just to post in threads related to Gatens playing summer league ball?

The draft with Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Al Horford, Mike Conley Jr, Jeff Green, Noah, Spencer Hawes, Thadeus Young, Rodney Stuckey, Jason Smith, Wilson Chandler, Aaron Brooks, Arron Afflalo, Carl Landry, Glen Davis, Marc Gasol, Aaron Gray, etc was a weak draft? That draft was better and more deep than the draft last night.

I even left out guys like Corey Brewer, Brandon Wright, Julian Wright, Acie Law, etc who people thought would be really good.

2007 was a much better draft and Haluska went 43rd. That's impressive. Gatens wasn't even on the top 100 board.

You pretty much lost me after the first seven guys on that list. I can remember where most of the others played their college ball, but that's about it.

I wonder why I've heard so little about the 2007 draft over the last year? This draft hasn't been compared to the 2007 version anywhere I've seen.

You pretty much lost me after the first seven guys on that list. I can remember where most of the others played their college ball, but that's about it.

I wonder why I've heard so little about the 2007 draft over the last year? This draft hasn't been compared to the 2007 version anywhere I've seen.

Sorry, than you don't know a lot about college basketball and NBA basketball if you don't know where they went to college and can't see that's a better draft.

Oden and Davis area push. Nobody knew Oden was going to be injured his whole career. At the time though the comparsions are the same. The next Bill Russell.

Durant? Easily a better prospect than anyone in this years draft after #1.

2007 was a better draft class.

2007 was not a deep draft at all. Oden and Durant were the cream of that draft and everyone else was projected as role players and that is pretty much what they have become. There are a couple that turned into starters but non of them have stood out to be great players.

Matt's willingness to guard the best player on the opposing team is what sets their Defense apart. I'm not sure Haluska was asked to be that guy. Also, Matt guarded everywhere on the court. He was a post defender in previous years and guarded Pgs like Tayler (PG-Badgers) at times this year.

I disagree that Haluska is clearly a better player. Better athlete, probably. Better offense in college, probably, but a lot of sets/shots for him. Matt's bball IQ is much higher and his toughness is better. I would also add that Matt's shot is more effortless and he is stronger in the upper body so he has more range.. If he can regularly hit the open NBA 3-pt shot, Matt has a role.

Sorry, than you don't know a lot about college basketball and NBA basketball if you don't know where they went to college and can't see that's a better draft.

Oden and Davis area push. Nobody knew Oden was going to be injured his whole career. At the time though the comparsions are the same. The next Bill Russell.

Durant? Easily a better prospect than anyone in this years draft after #1.

2007 was a better draft class.

Your reading comprehension needs some work. I DO remember where those players spent their college days, but that's about it. The top of the draft was very good. The rest was pretty blah. In other words, top-heavy, which is the opposite of deep.

Link? Everything I've read is that this draft is Davis and everybody else. This draft isn't even close to the conversation of one of the deepest of all time.

Link? Everything I've read is that this draft is Davis and everybody else. This draft isn't even close to the conversation of one of the deepest of all time.

they were even saying during the draft how it wasnt deep. i am not saying 2007 was a great draft class but they seemed to have better players from top to bottom...imo...the day of the draft. how the draft turns out isnt really determined for a couple yrs. now the 2007 draft looks a little weak but at the time it looked pretty solid...not great. 2012 draft there are a lot of flawed players.

beal - please people say he is ray allen...he cant hold ray's jock

mkg - needs to be a compliment not the main guy...i feel sorry for him in charolette

each yr there are 1-3 great players in the draft. this yr it was 1. in 2007 it was (supposed to be) 2. both are then just loaded with role players, flops, and surprises. but from the day of the draft outlooks the 2007 draft was deeper...just doesnt seem like it 5 yrs down the road.

haluska would have been drafted in this class.

Latest posts