Gatens Interview

Thanks for the link, and Matt is very well spoken and direct. Interesting that he said it was nice to have a coach who really wants to be here.

Speaks volumes that Lick didn't talk to his players after he heard he was being let go. Just not cool no matter how you feel about the situation. Need to send the right message in parting as well.

Speaks volumes that Lick didn't talk to his players after he heard he was being let go. Just not cool no matter how you feel about the situation. Need to send the right message in parting as well.

I am the last person to defend Lick, but the entire team was heading out of town for spring break when he got fired. That still irks me that some players had plans to go somewhere on spring break the day after they lost to Michigan. So by the time they got back, Lick was out of town.

I am the last person to defend Lick, but the entire team was heading out of town for spring break when he got fired. That still irks me that some players had plans to go somewhere on spring break the day after they lost to Michigan. So by the time they got back, Lick was out of town.

Still could have taken the time to place a phone call.

I'm w you, Jay.

The look on his face when asked about talking to/with Lick after he was let go is very revealing.

if the story is true that these guys planned on losing to michigan (already had spring break plans, and i assume that must mean ticket purchases?) then I wouldn't necessarily want to reach out to the players myself.

Matt handled himself very well in this interview. Well worth 10 minutes to watch.
Matt doesn't display any emotions, ever. But, you could tell he was restraining himself when asked about Lick, especially about the lack of contact after he was fired.
I know he is going to say what we want to hear, but still I liked what I heard and this just got me even more excited for this year. I'm looking forward to going to many games!

After discovering and developing a full blown addiction to reading HN these last few months, I have finally registered in hopes that Matt might read that I, for one, think he has already made his indelible mark on Hawkeye BB.

He's done it with his unwavering commitment to Team. Despite a clear lack of reward(wins), he has always maintained unquestioned loyalty evidenced by his on the court effort and in his off the court demeanor/attitude. I can only imagine how much deeper our climb would be starting if Matt Gatens' name was on that list of the de-committed. I feel his example has offered his fellow survivors a rare solid patch to stake their own claim to Iowa BB's bright future.

So, to Matt and every other committed Hawk...the promised land nears, thanks to you.

How can you not like that guy? I'm not going to go out on a limb and predict anything amazing about next season, I'm just having fun being excited about Iowa Basketball again... GO HAWKS!

if the story is true that these guys planned on losing to michigan (already had spring break plans, and i assume that must mean ticket purchases?) then I wouldn't necessarily want to reach out to the players myself.

It isnt like they didnt play hard in the 2nd half. they played hard enough to cover the ******* spread by a point. Jerks

Michigan mustve been shaving points then.

Seriously though, Cully was about the only guy who played hard.

Watching the game and hearing what I heard about the teams plans it seemed like Gatens didn't really want to hit that final three. Cully did bust his *** that game.

I moved away from Iowa City before Alford and Lick became coaches. So, I enjoy reading the posts here on HN; helps me to catch up a little. What I remember most about Iowa basketball is the passion and enjoyment that the players had for the game. Any teams visiting the old Fieldhouse or CHA were 'welcomed' by our fans in such a way as to probably cause them a temporary hearing loss. It's really not realistic to expect Fran to deliver a huge improvement this fall (please prove me wrong:D).
But, what I would really like to see for Matt and the rest of the team is to start ENJOYING the game again. This is why I like Fran as our new coach. Alford and Lick are history. The press, the polls, and the NCAA have pretty much dismissed and forgotten about Iowa BB. So, let's REMIND them....

Well I know some prominent players flew out the next day so....

Well, there you have it then. The Sage has spoken. The act of going on vacation the day after losing their last game IS ABSOLUTE PROOF they didn't play hard the previous day. Uh, ok. Or maybe - wow, this is one of those Einstein moments - but, maybe, their plan was to leave for vacation the day after they lost regardless of when that day was. I know, it just blows your mind, doesn't it? And before you say "well, if they were planning on losing, then they are losers" remember this: only 1 team (not counting those that didn't even qualify for their own conference tournaments) won their final game. 1 and only 1. Do you honestly think Iowa had a reason to think they would be that 1 team? No? Oh, well then, the fact they went on vacation the day after they lost a game means absolutely nothing except they went on vacation.

You can go back to your role as the "Bitter Beer Face Guy" for Keystone, now.

Well, there you have it then. The Sage has spoken. The act of going on vacation the day after losing their last game IS ABSOLUTE PROOF they didn't play hard the previous day. Uh, ok. Or maybe - wow, this is one of those Einstein moments - but, maybe, their plan was to leave for vacation the day after they lost regardless of when that day was. I know, it just blows your mind, doesn't it? And before you say "well, if they were planning on losing, then they are losers" remember this: only 1 team (not counting those that didn't even qualify for their own conference tournaments) won their final game. 1 and only 1. Do you honestly think Iowa had a reason to think they would be that 1 team? No? Oh, well then, the fact they went on vacation the day after they lost a game means absolutely nothing except they went on vacation.

You can go back to your role as the "Bitter Beer Face Guy" for Keystone, now.

Are you serious? You do realize you have to buy tickets in advance right?

Latest posts