Garza Will Test NBA Waters, Leave Door Open for Iowa Return

The way that he worded that, and with everything thing else out there I’d think it’s pretty safe bet to think he comes back.

He's going to depend on the feedback he receives. If a team tells him it will take him in the first round, he goes. I don't think that's likely but it's possible. I like the chances that he comes back. I also think Wieskamp will announce he's going to go through the process. And, like Luka, he should do it. The feedback is free and valuable.

I haven't seen a single NBA Mock of prospect rankings or anything of the sort. I don't think he's a lottery player but 2nd round doesn't seem out of the question. To me the question is to what extent is playing overseas an option to him? With his family being from over there and everything it seems as though that would be on the table as well. But would he rather play his SR yr at Iowa before doing that?

Maybe they'll say he needs to work on his FT shooting ;)

He's going to depend on the feedback he receives. If a team tells him it will take him in the first round, he goes. I don't think that's likely but it's possible. I like the chances that he comes back. I also think Wieskamp will announce he's going to go through the process. And, like Luka, he should do it. The feedback is free and valuable.
Is even a first rounder guaranteed to stick on a roster?

Below is what each 1st rounder from last year made with the rookie salary cap. Each year it goes up by a few percentage points. So, even if a late 1st round pick there is some serious coin.

Player 2019/20
Zion Williamson $9,757,440
Ja Morant $8,730,240
R.J. Barrett $7,839,960
De’Andre Hunter $7,068,360
Darius Garland 6,400,920
Jarrett Culver $5,813,640
Coby White $5,307,120
Jaxson Hayes $4,862,040
Rui Hachimura $4,469,160
Cam Reddish $4,245,720
Cameron Johnson $4,033,440
PJ Washington $3,831,840
Tyler Herro $3,640,200
Romeo Langford $3,458,400
Sekou Doumbouya $3,285,120
Chuma Okeke * $3,121,080
Nickeil Alexander-Walker $2,964,840
Goga Bitadze $2,816,760
Luka Samanic $2,689,920
Matisse Thybulle $2,582,160
Brandon Clarke $2,478,840
Grant Williams $2,379,840
Darius Bazley $2,284,800
Ty Jerome $2,193,480
Nassir Little $2,105,520
Dylan Windler $2,035,800
Mfiondu Kabengele $1,977,000
Jordan Poole $1,964,760
Keldon Johnson $1,950,600
Kevin Porter Jr. $1,290,960
* Okeke won’t sign his rookie contract until 2020/21.

I believe there is risk with Luka entering the draft, we shouldn't discount it. What was it, two years ago former Fran ball boy Kevin Huerter of Maryland tested the waters with everyone thinking he would be back. He got the thumbs up and this year was the starting 2 guard for the Atlanta Hawks.

Maybe his input will be he needs a full body transplant to become more athletic?

The good news is, I've looked at several mock drafts that even had second round projections and Luka hasn't been in any of them. Of course, that could be because no one thinks he's coming out.

If Luka's goal is the NBA, I can't imagine why he wouldn't go this year. He's coming off an incredible college year that would be almost impossible to top. His footwork, 3 pt shot, body build, and overall skill level is not likely to noticeably improve over the next 12 months, no matter what counsel he receives from The League. He's proven everything possible at the college level. The NBA has a preference of drafting younger players, and 12 months from now Luka will be basically the same player with the same talents, just 1 year older. I hope like heck he comes back, but if I were advising him it would be hard to build a case to do so.
On the other hand, Wieskamp has every reason to return to Iowa for another season, IMO.

If Luka's goal is the NBA, I can't imagine why he wouldn't go this year. He's coming off an incredible college year that would be almost impossible to top. His footwork, 3 pt shot, body build, and overall skill level is not likely to noticeably improve over the next 12 months, no matter what counsel he receives from The League. He's proven everything possible at the college level. The NBA has a preference of drafting younger players, and 12 months from now Luka will be basically the same player with the same talents, just 1 year older. I hope like heck he comes back, but if I were advising him it would be hard to build a case to do so.
On the other hand, Wieskamp has every reason to return to Iowa for another season, IMO.
Have you seen his workout videos? Why would you think he will be basically the same player in a year?

Latest posts