Garza was a generational find, but the secret formula is athletic guards that can shoot

HaydenHawk56

and a back court (and front court) that can defend as well if not better than what they do on the offensive end of the court.

Fran has never been able to land that type of guard play.

It won't change until it does.

Just really wish we could have Garza for another year and we picked up some stud grad transfer point guard. But, not going to happen. Garza needs to go get some money because the system is not going to get any better here.

Good, but FAR from great.

and a back court (and front court) that can defend as well if not better than what they do on the offensive end of the court.

Fran has never been able to land that type of guard play.

It won't change until it does.

Just really wish we could have Garza for another year and we picked up some stud grad transfer point guard. But, not going to happen. Garza needs to go get some money because the system is not going to get any better here.

Good, but FAR from great.
Yea ... With each passing, "fall-short" year it seems that we've got a one-dimensional square-peg coaching a round team. At some point, you really have to question the mis-matched "run-gun, athletic up and down, outshoot 'em" philosophy that keeps getting applied to a bunch of guys that are marginally athletic, extremely slow (and out of position) on defense and struggle to consistently hit their shots, let alone, create scores.

We ran into the exact problem that we were not equipped to deal with. Athletic guards and forwards that could shoot and open up our defense. Lets enjoy the success and support Fran.

Yep, college Bball analysts and gurus have said for about the last 20 years the game is a point guard game first and foremost and a guard court team overall. Fran hasnt had a top pt guard yet. I feel sorry for JBo in a game like this where he doesnt have the quickness and speed at the point guard at either end of the court. If CJ had the bad foot still it showed. Probably why both of those guys had limited minutes. Also maybe why CJ didnt explode up to the rim when he did have a driver or two close to the hoop.

Joe T needs to work hard on his 3pt shot all summer.

If he could hit that shot consistently he could be dangerous. Right now they sag off of him and he doesn't really want to shoot it - and it just kills your offense.

Yea ... With each passing, "fall-short" year it seems that we've got a one-dimensional square-peg coaching a round team. At some point, you really have to question the mis-matched "run-gun, athletic up and down, outshoot 'em" philosophy that keeps getting applied to a bunch of guys that are marginally athletic, extremely slow (and out of position) on defense and struggle to consistently hit their shots, let alone, create scores.
It really reminds me of Mr. Davis. When he had Ravelings talent his system was great. When he got his own marginal talent his teams were so-so. Oregon’s coach is a good coach and now his great talent, nice combination. For Oregon.

It really reminds me of Mr. Davis. When he had Ravelings talent his system was great. When he got his own marginal talent his teams were so-so. Oregon’s coach is a good coach and now his great talent, nice combination. For Oregon.
He tried to recruit athletes, especially when Bruce Pearl was still here. But then Rodell Davis and Michael Ingram destroyed their knees and Ray Thompson and Brian Garner flunked out. Phil Chime and Kevin Smith didn't make it to the finish line here either.

it’s still fresh, and I’m sure (dear Lord, hope) there will be more, really good players to don black and gold but it’s really hard to envision Iowa without Luka.

This year woulda been dismal without him. Next year could be NwU / Nebraska bad, especially if Fran thinks he can continue his philosophy / style of play.

Seriously, who can even begin to fill the void as far as consistency, reliability and leadership? Keegan will be the best player. Hope JoeW finishes strong and CJ regains his form / moxy. Be awesome if Lukas work ethic rubbed off on big JoshO but he can hardly be seen as much more than a project, right now. There is just no one to anchor the team.

it’s still fresh, and I’m sure (dear Lord, hope) there will be more, really good players to don black and gold but it’s really hard to envision Iowa without Luka.

This year woulda been dismal without him. Next year could be NwU / Nebraska bad, especially if Fran thinks he can continue his philosophy / style of play.

Seriously, who can even begin to fill the void as far as consistency, reliability and leadership? Keegan will be the best player. Hope JoeW finishes strong and CJ regains his form / moxy. Be awesome if Lukas work ethic rubbed off on big JoshO but he can hardly be seen as much more than a project, right now. There is just no one to anchor the team.
Fran has already made three round of 32s without All American Luka. He will be missed for sure and is the reason we got a 2 seed, but Fran has shown we can get to this level without him. It's unfortunate than Bohannon tanked this year and CJ got hurt. Without those two things happening, who knows how good it could have been.

On a side not, guys like Perkins, Toussaint, and Ulis probably won't have to be afraid to shoot next year. Maybe they will surprise.

Back to the thread title: This is such a fine line.
Fran and staff have come in a close 2nd in recruiting on some guards that fit the definition.
In that world - 'If you ain't first, you're last'.

Prohm recruited high-level athletic guards, but they leave early and it cost him his job trying to fill holes.

Another consideration - would you sell you soul to recruit in the $$$/AAU world to get those players?? Kansas, Arizona, Okie St, LSU, Auburn, Crieghton, USC among others all still under investigation. They have those guards.

"Win. Graduate. Do it Right." is Athletic Dept mantra. Would need to drop the last 2.

Back to the thread title: This is such a fine line.
Fran and staff have come in a close 2nd in recruiting on some guards that fit the definition.
In that world - 'If you ain't first, you're last'.

Prohm recruited high-level athletic guards, but they leave early and it cost him his job trying to fill holes.

Another consideration - would you sell you soul to recruit in the $$$/AAU world to get those players?? Kansas, Arizona, Okie St, LSU, Auburn, Crieghton, USC among others all still under investigation. They have those guards.

"Win. Graduate. Do it Right." is Athletic Dept mantra. Would need to drop the last 2.

It doesn't make it "right" but if other schools are doing it, then I wouldn't feel the least bit bad if we did it, either. Tell me if anyone cares that the Fab 5's wins got vacated, etc.

Besides, it's just a game. I don't watch because Iowa's players graduate, and I wouldn't stop watching if they didn't. I watch for entertainment and for them to win.

Guard recruiting needs to improve.

Last edited:
Lisa Bluder 4 Sweet 16 finishes and 1 Elite 8 finish

Fran McCaffrey NO Sweet Sixteen or Elite 8 finishes
Fran gets a lifetime contract

Is Gary Barta gonna post up and give Lisa a lifetime gig?
Asking for the Bluder familiy

"Bluder is a girl, they should be in the kitchen making me a sammich" - Gary Barta

As long as these boys make the big money dudes happy, we get what we get. KF, GB and FM are a dog and pony show. "Look who showed up at my BBQ"- Fat Cat Booster.

we, the regular guy, have no say and can bitch all we want.

Last edited:

You don't really follow the Iowa women, do you? She currently is under contract until 2025. She has bonuses for each level of the tournament she achieves. Here's a tweet from Dochterman from 2019:

We ran into the exact problem that we were not equipped to deal with. Athletic guards and forwards that could shoot and open up our defense. Lets enjoy the success and support Fran.

Part of the problem though is that because of Fran's system we are not equipped to deal with athletic guards and forwards that can shoot and open up our defense. This has been a problem under Fran and will continue to do so, until he puts more emphasis on defense and recruits a different type of player.

Its that style that brings us the success and ultimately sets up these failures. I've expressed in other threads that its fair that he gets both the credit and the blame at the same time.

It took Bluder 13 years to reach a sweet 16. Before that she was basically Fran, so I would chill on some of that.

Ok good news is Fran's going to get all the time he wants he's contracted until he decides it's time to end it. My hope as always is we win.

Latest posts