Garza possible career scoring and rebound leader...if he stays

briney11

Luka has scored 686 points this year so far which puts him at 1505 for his career putting him 611 points behind Roy Marbles 2116. He's also 350 rebounds behind Greg Brunner. If he comes back next year, it will be fun watching him pass the who's who of Iowa basketball.

He's probably got about 38 total games left to do it between what's left this year and what he'll have next year. That means he'll need to average 16.1 points and 9.3 rebounds to own both records. The points record should be a no brainer. The rebounds one would be pretty close.

I hope he stays to try and get them. There's something to be said for going down as the greatest (at least in terms of numbers) ever at an institution.

He's probably got about 38 total games left to do it between what's left this year and what he'll have next year. That means he'll need to average 16.1 points and 9.3 rebounds to own both records. The points record should be a no brainer. The rebounds one would be pretty close.

I hope he stays to try and get them. There's something to be said for going down as the greatest (at least in terms of numbers) ever at an institution.
If Iowa goes to the Final Four this year and next he will have a good shot.

And with the way good players leave early all the time, he might not live to see his records broken.

Rumors are strong he will return. Its not like football where injuries and shelf life are much bigger factors. The money can wait a year. A year of being one of THE biggest national stories in college basketball vs. a year likely bouncing around the G League? I take the former. The latter will still be there in a year.

Wow. I haven’t put any thought into this at all. If he comes back all that is attainable and we are debating about retiring his number. That’s crazy.

And you add on top of that the career numbers that JBo could possibly end up with......if you are an Iowa fan you might be witnessing legendary stuff here.

Last edited:
In another era a player like Garza would also have been on track to be on our Olympic team this summer. But there are now two generations of Americans who were never around or were too young to remember when college players made up our team (last one was in 1988).

Wow. I haven’t put any thought into this at all. If he comes back all that is attainable and we are debating about retiring his number. That’s crazy.

And you add on top of that the career numbers that JBo could possibly end up with......if you are an Iowa fan you might be witnessing legendary stuff here.
If he comes back, I doubt there is even a debate on retiring his number.

In another era a player like Garza would also have been on track to be on our Olympic team this summer. But there are now two generations of Americans who were never around or were too young to remember when college players made up our team (last one was in 1988).
Jack Thompson's team "flamed out" if you will by "only" getting a bronze. The USA team lost in the semi's to the Soviets, not making the finals for the first time ever. Jeff Grayer, Bimbo Coles and Hersey Hawkins were dismissed four years later by Bird, Magic, MJ and Barkley who led the team in scoring. The Dream Team's average win differential was 43 points/game. Chuck Daly and the boyz kicked ass.

Kathleen Doyle, the Iowa female point guard, was named big ten player of the year for the women.
That make 3 years in row for the women’s team. Add in Luka Garza as most likely in basketball, and Spencer Lee could be Wrestler of the year! Great time to be a Hawk!

Would love to have Luka back with all the snipers we have returning. Can anybody say 2021 preseason #1?
I think if we win out and make the sweet 16, we will be preseason ranked between 5 and 10. No one else in the conference would even have a mild case for being #1 in the conference, but I still assume Michigan State will be.

Would love to have Luka back with all the snipers we have returning. Can anybody say 2021 preseason #1?
With JBo returning, and the recruits coming, and if no transfers, defections, we should seriously be favored to win BIG. Garza might average 30 with the 3 point shooters we will have to spread the floor. And yes, top 5 pre season.

The one team that I could see that'd have a case as well is (and I hate to say it because I hate those f'ers) Wisconsin. Their whole team is essentially juniors except for Pritzl, who is the only one graduating. Given the fact that it seems to be addition by subtraction regarding Kobe King and their whole team will be seniors next year, I could see them making a serious run as well.

The one team that I could see that'd have a case as well is (and I hate to say it because I hate those f'ers) Wisconsin. Their whole team is essentially juniors except for Pritzl, who is the only one graduating. Given the fact that it seems to be addition by subtraction regarding Kobe King and their whole team will be seniors next year, I could see them making a serious run as well.
Where did the dislike button go?

Yep. Garza catches Marble if he comes back and stays healthy.

Growing up in the 80's I was a huge fan of BJ, Roy and Ed - so I'd be a bit sad to see Roy's record fall - but records are made to be broken, and if Garza breaks it, then kudos to him. He will have earned it and is certainly deserving.

And of course, I hope Garza comes back next year. I want to see this entire team back with everyone 100% healthy and see what they can do. Could be a special year. Or massively disappointing (let's hope not). But I want to find out! They would/should be preseason Top 10 IMO, or darn near it.

Can you imagine senior day next yr if Garza comes back after he's smashed those records? JBo having smashed some 3 pt records as well. Not to get too far ahead of ourselves here but man. Next yr could be setting up to be absolutely unreal.

I am quite sure Luka will be a Hawk next year. Dominating in the Big Ten, excellent conference that it is, is not the same as NBA. He needs another year at least to build his stock, and we have already seen, he will work hard and he will get better. I was thinking about Ryan Bowen as a senior, then his long NBA career, Luka has more and better moves than Bowen by a country mile.

Latest posts