Garza losing POY ?

Esteshawk

It's Garza's to win or lose at this point. I'm afraid he's going to lose it to Dosunmu of Illinois. After this week, he very well could be behind him if not already.

pts rb apg 3pt ft
Dosunmu 20.3 5.5 6 40% 81.8%
Garza 22.1 8.1 2.1 34% 70.8%

I guess a lot depends on how far they advance in B1G Tourney, and the dance, but Luka needs to stay focused on FTs. Hate to see him lose it on that.

It's Garza's to win or lose at this point. I'm afraid he's going to lose it to Dosunmu of Illinois. After this week, he very well could be behind him if not already.

pts rb apg 3pt ft

I guess a lot depends on how far they advance in B1G Tourney, and the dance, but Luka needs to stay focused on FTs. Hate to see him lose it on that.
Sorry, the stat headers shifted on me.

Dosunmu is a long shot to beat Garza, he hasn't the national recognition that Garza has gotten, if Iowa does a one and done in the Big tourney and Dosunmu tears it up and Illinois get to the finals, then makes a run in the tourney then I think he beats out Garza. Too many talking heads have already given Garza the award to take it back. That being said Garza just needs to keep winning.

Garza needs to play well in the next two games and put up numbers against the two best teams in the league. I believe Illinois plays them both too. If Garza does and we can win one of them...it's going to be tough not to give him his POY award.

He's not been as crisp around the basket as he usually is...and he's not been great at the line...yet he averaged 26 and 9 last week or something. Crazy.

Dosunmu is a long shot to beat Garza, he hasn't the national recognition that Garza has gotten, if Iowa does a one and done in the Big tourney and Dosunmu tears it up and Illinois get to the finals, then makes a run in the tourney then I think he beats out Garza. Too many talking heads have already given Garza the award to take it back. That being said Garza just needs to keep winning.
Great point

I didn’t watch the whole game but Dosunmu was very underwhelming against sparty tonight. At one point he missed 3 of 4 free throws in in a matter of seconds in game time.

I didn’t watch the whole game but Dosunmu was very underwhelming against sparty tonight. At one point he missed 3 of 4 free throws in in a matter of seconds in game time.

I watched it. Most of the time he stood in the corner not involved in the offense. Not sure why.

I've seen him be great and take over a game, but I also have seen him commit T/O's and look desperate. But boy, when he's on he reminds of little of MJ.

I’d rather see a BTT championship and a long run in the NCAA tournament long before seeing Garza get player of the year.

Of course if both of those things that I mentioned happen then likely the recognition will follow.

pts rb apg 3pt ft

The entire damn team needs to focus on FT's!!

You know what's really boring? Someone winning something wire-to-wire (I'm an F1 fan, you can trust me on this).

You know what's exciting? A competion.

Sometimes, the universe gives us a legitimate competition, sometimes it gives us a boat race. When it gives us a boat race in something like the chase for the PoY in college basketball, the taking heads still have to find something to talk about.

In conclusion, Garza is going to win it, but lots of people will continue to say "I dunno, I think we have a race on our hands!"

You know what's really boring? Someone winning something wire-to-wire (I'm an F1 fan, you can trust me on this).

You know what's exciting? A competion.

Sometimes, the universe gives us a legitimate competition, sometimes it gives us a boat race. When it gives us a boat race in something like the chase for the PoY in college basketball, the taking heads still have to find something to talk about.

In conclusion, Garza is going to win it, but lots of people will continue to say "I dunno, I think we have a race on our hands!"
Could not agree more. Sports pundits gotta talk about something. All of the conference and national awards remain Garza's to lose. If he limps in with 12 points a game for the last couple weeks, he could lose it. But, if he just plays within himself and the way he has all year, its his.

He has the schedule in his favor. These next three games will likely be high scoring. Its hard for me to believe he won't get his normal 20+ points a game. Two of these games will be high profile. If he plays well the next two games, especially if Iowa wins one or both, I think it is over.

We should roll over Nebbie by a lot. His only enemy there is sitting the last 8 minutes. Scoring a lot against Wisky is always a grind because they play Ferentz ball. But, he still should get his. Wisky is overrated.

Ayo shit the bed last night. Had a rough night shooting all around. Missed FTs down the stretch and that's a bad loss for them. Really bad. So all that he's so clutch talk about him supposedly putting him above Garza when the stats are all in Garzas favor should be put to bed.

Then if you want to factor in the punk ass move he made at the end of the game getting that cheap basket I sure as hell don't want to see that guy rewarded for doing crap like that. I kinda felt for him a little bit when he got blasted in the face on that F2 foul. But not too much. Hope that was a long trip home from Lansing for them.

Garza had the benefit of being the odds on favorite of being POY all off season and he started the season off basically as the guy to beat. That's tough to overcome that kind of momentum that Luka had built up and he's done absolutely nothing to lose it. He's better in almost every category this season other than rebounding and he's not far off. I think Ayo could put him in the same position as Luka did if he came back for his Sr year. Luka just started the season with one hell of a head start and lead. He's also facing double and triple teams every night. Is that what Ayo is seeing? Double and triple teams? I don' think so. It's still Luka's award and he's still pretty far out front.

I watched it. Most of the time he stood in the corner not involved in the offense. Not sure why.
Dude's jump shot is a set shot like a girl from the 80s playing 6 on 6 bkb in Iowa. But Lynn Lorenzon could still outscore him.

Garza's advanced stats, Offensive/Defensive rating, Win Shares, Box Plus+/-, etc are astronomically better than anybody else in the conference.

Yet some voters will overlook all that simply because he isn't very good defensively.

It is not a slam dunk(no pun intended) that Garza ends up the conference POY or the National POY. Dosunmu is playing out of his mind right now(not sure what happened against MSU). Dosunmu for conference and National POY is picking up a lot of steam.

Any chance of a split? Garza wins National POY and Dosunmu wins the conference?

Ayo shit the bed last night. Had a rough night shooting all around. Missed FTs down the stretch and that's a bad loss for them. Really bad. So all that he's so clutch talk about him supposedly putting him above Garza when the stats are all in Garzas favor should be put to bed.

Then if you want to factor in the punk ass move he made at the end of the game getting that cheap basket I sure as hell don't want to see that guy rewarded for doing crap like that. I kinda felt for him a little bit when he got blasted in the face on that F2 foul. But not too much. Hope that was a long trip home from Lansing for them.
Ayo was an absolute non-factor after the hard foul near the end of the game. In retrospect, the Illini might have had a better chance for success had the coach substituted for Ayo immediately after the hard foul. He looked like he was in a daze to me.
The foul was a bush league play by the Spartan; he deserved more than being kicked out of the game. Typical rough neck play coached by Izzo. Deliberate fouls such as that should get the same treatment as a targeting penalty iin football - suspend for an entire game, rest of current game plus 1st half of the next game. The player got off easy in my opinion.