Gary Dolphin

iowahawkeyes89

I was listening to 1460 and they briefly touched on the whole TV coming on ESPN late, they mentioned having to listen to the radio for the first time in a while and realizing how bad Dolph is.

I also had a similar experience, I usually only catch Dolph on the post game show, but Saturday I had to listen to him for half the first quarter. He's a nice guy, but my god, its very frustrating knowing wtf is going on in the game when listening to Dolph. Simple things like down and distance, where the balls marked, not knowing who's in the game.

Just basic things that a radio guy shouldn't struggle with. Maybe it was a bad night, but I was really shocked at how bad he was.

I agree, on one specific play, he stated "there was a rushing gain of 3-4 yards, maybe 3, now it's second and ten".

It isn't that hard to determine how many yards were gained, he does a poor job of providing important details.

For the little bit I was listening waiting for the game to get on ESPN, I knew all I needed to know and that was the fact Iowa was down 14-0 and at that point hoping for the Auburn/Clemson game to go about 8 OT's.

a couple years ago Iowa was at illinois and I went out to the car to listen during my halftime of my daughter hoops game.

I listened for 15 minutes and still didnt know what the score was.

Was I like the only Hawkeye fan in the state that realized you could watch the beginning of the game on ESPN3.com???? I seen the introductions of the teams, the coin flip, the opening kickoff, I didn't miss a thing.

a couple years ago Iowa was at illinois and I went out to the car to listen during my halftime of my daughter hoops game.

I listened for 15 minutes and still didnt know what the score was.

Yeah, but I bet you knew where and when Hawk Talk was going to be that following week.

Dolph is a great guy but is one of the worst play by play guys ive ever heard. Never says where the ball is on the field and is overally extremely frustrating to listen to. Having to listen to him because the Clemson game was still going set a horrible tone for the night

Why couldnt ESPN switch to the Iowa game in Iowa and Arizona? And did they really have to show the post game prayer and 2 interviews?

Great, now I'm all riled up again

Was I like the only Hawkeye fan in the state that realized you could watch the beginning of the game on ESPN3.com???? I seen the introductions of the teams, the coin flip, the opening kickoff, I didn't miss a thing.

If you have Qwest this wasnt an option

No, but I have Qwest internet and they don't get the ESPN360 in Des Moines anyway, I think Mediacon is the only one that provides it.

I watched the start on ESPN3 too. Plenty of pre-coin flip footage of the teams standing around, which was better than what was on ESPN.

I think because we listen to him every week, some people tend to me more critical. People find more flaws with what they are familiar with. Is he the best play by play guy? Probably not. But he is solid, and he is ours.

I feel bad for Ed P. He is a good color guy and I enjoy listening to him. I think he is honest while still pulling for Iowa but Dolphin is not worthy of calling major college games. I've honestly listened to highschool football games that were called better.

No, but I have Qwest internet and they don't get the ESPN360 in Des Moines anyway, I think Mediacon is the only one that provides it.

What you need to do is find a friend or relative or even your work that has mediacom or provides espn3 service.Then sign up with a user name and password, then you can use espn3.com from a non-espn3.com server by clicking on remote access and signing in with your user name. I did this before I had mediacom, espn3 is really great, not just to prevent something like this from happening, but they have alot of sporting events that you can watch that aren't on in our area.

I think because we listen to him every week, some people tend to me more critical. People find more flaws with what they are familiar with. Is he the best play by play guy? Probably not. But he is solid, and he is ours.

What so now it's off limits to criticize a radio announcer, just because he announces for our team? Sheesh, you gotta be kidding me.

Dolph flat out stinks as an announcer, I don't who he announces for. The three most important things for an announcer should be as follows:

1. Provide the listener with an accurate portrayal of what is happening on the field.

2. Shill for the sponsors.

3. Provide a little personality to keep things entertaining.

Dolph is great at numbers 2 and 3, but a miserable failure at number 1.

Mike

I echo what Jon says in that Dolph may not be the best but puts his heart and soul into the broadcast and along with Eddie, they make a fine team.

I watched the opening on ESPN3 and listened to Dolph & Eddie on the radio. I'll keep that in mind when this happens in the future.

I don't have a problem with the way Dolph calls a game but maybe that's because I always listen to the radio as I watch the game on the tube so I can compare for myself what is happening on the filed to Dolph's description of it. On the rare occasion where I only listen to the game, I'm familiar enough with the way Dolph calls a game to fill in the gaps. Whenever Dolph gets something wrong Eddie will almost always correct it.

R u people serious about Dolph? he is a great announcer. he uses good wordage and always has great excitement when there is a big play. there is nothing better then when he says TOUCHDOWN IOWA!. You people dogging on him is rediculous. Dolph is great.

He defiantly loves the Hawks, but>>> how many times in a game does he have to correct himself because he said something wrong??? I almost question sometimes if he is drinking? So many times I find myself fixing his errors out loud before he does. If this is their job can they know who wears what number before the game so they dont always have to go check.... plus I dont remember the radio being so FULL of commercials even during the game? The Case IH zone.... wth?

Wow. I can not believe what I'm reading and I couldn't disagree more with the majority of these posts. I honestly think you people are insane and I have no idea what you've been listenting to. I've been listening to Gary and Ed since he took over for Z, and I can't remember one time where I didn't know what was going on because of him. He paints the picture of the game. Maybe you guys just don't listen to radio enough.

Latest posts