Gary Barta's Mistake

wally59

In the real world at the end of year when the outcome of how the business performed and employees performance can be evaluated only then bonuses and salary increases are considered. Barta gave his performance review of KF two days before the season started. Clearly the coaching performance was below what was expected. Just like any other job people are being evaluated for a number of different criteria. I hope that Barta has the courage to give an objective evaluation of the football program's performance this year. KF is being paid 3.6 million dollars a year to be a top twenty program and with the offense around 50% or worse the underperformance is obvious along with clock management issues, etc. If I was the athletic director I would ask KF to put an action plan together to how he is specifically going to correct those deficiences and hold him accountable for improvements in the programs weakest areas just like every person who works for an employer.

Yeah, being a head coach of a college football team isnt exactly the same as Joe Blow working in a cubicle somewhere

Do you really think KF is just sitting around without trying to figure out what went wrong this year? I dont think Barta will need a powerpoint presentation from KF to get him working on it

Get real

This is a totally ridiculous argument, to suggest that a guy making 3+ MM a year already was going to suddenly become cavalier because of an extra 300K.

It is also a ridiculous argument because KF has shown to be one of the top coachs in the entire sport, who yes has had a couple of disappointing seasons only to rebound and put his team back in the top 10.

It is also a ridiculous argument because coach's can get fired, and if you don't think the amount of money paid to Ferentz is also due in part to making Iowa a marquee job, than you'd be wrong.

Barta is a good AD. He has shown an incredible ability to fundraise in the worst economy since the Great Depression, and he has made it clear with Steve Alford that unmet expectations are unacceptable. He also made it clear with Todd Lickliter that a stubborn refusal to adapt will not be tolerated.

He is not the idiot you make him out to be.

Yeah, being a head coach of a college football team isnt exactly the same as Joe Blow working in a cubicle somewhere

Do you really think KF is just sitting around without trying to figure out what went wrong this year? I dont think Barta will need a powerpoint presentation from KF to get him working on it

Get real

He has been sitting around 5 losses should be 6 all the same way. He hasn't assessed ****, but then again he is just barely over a .500 coach in conference anyway.

He has been sitting around 5 losses should be 6 all the same way. He hasn't assessed ****, but then again he is just barely over a .500 coach in conference anyway.

Good to know that you have inside info that says KF isnt doing anything to fix the current problems. He did a bad job of adapting during the season but KF has shown the ability to right the ship in the past. I dont think he needs Barta to have him develop an action plan to do it again

but KF has shown the ability to right the ship in the past...

Yes as well, as he shown the ability to sink ships to.

In the real world at the end of year when the outcome of how the business performed and employees performance can be evaluated only then bonuses and salary increases are considered. Barta gave his performance review of KF two days before the season started. Clearly the coaching performance was below what was expected. Just like any other job people are being evaluated for a number of different criteria. I hope that Barta has the courage to give an objective evaluation of the football program's performance this year. KF is being paid 3.6 million dollars a year to be a top twenty program and with the offense around 50% or worse the underperformance is obvious along with clock management issues, etc. If I was the athletic director I would ask KF to put an action plan together to how he is specifically going to correct those deficiences and hold him accountable for improvements in the programs weakest areas just like every person who works for an employer.

i amazes me how someone could take the time to start a thread ripping on Barta but not bother to read the well-publicized article about him from this week in which he says that he will do NEARLY EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT.

So what it really comes down to is, was this years offense ineffectiveness an aberration or has it been an ongoing problem of performance. The statistics show that Iowa's offense is average and in some cases way below average long term. The defense is usually ranked in the top twenty. Is KF recruiting substantially better players on defense? Since I believe it is long term problem I don't believe that KF has a handle on how to correct it.

Kirk also needs to make sure he's filling out his TPS reports correctly.

images

but KF has shown the ability to right the ship in the past...

Yes as well, as he shown the ability to sink ships to.

No, he hasn't. If he had done THAT, we wouldn't have a glass bowl full of oranges. A SUNK ship is Notre Dame, or Michigan (until RR is fired).

No, he hasn't. If he had done THAT, we wouldn't have a glass bowl full of oranges. A SUNK ship is Notre Dame, or Michigan (until RR is fired).

Pretty sad though when a guy can make 3 million, just barely be 500, have players figting in the lockerroom and have almost the same players back that he got that "glass bowl full of oranges". wish I could land a job like that and always have excuses every week I screw up and still make 3 million.

Pretty sad though when a guy can make 3 million, just barely be 500, have players figting in the lockerroom and have almost the same players back that he got that "glass bowl full of oranges". wish I could land a job like that and always have excuses every week I screw up and still make 3 million.

What's sad is he makes 3 mil and can't fill out his TPS reports right. He should have gotten the memo by now.

Yeah, we all wish we had jobs that paid us 3 mil a year. Coaches, no matter what they're paid, experience issues such as those you've mentioned. Sounds like your just jealous.

Latest posts