Gary Barta

Probably alot premature....but the way things seem to be shaping up....the guy deserves some credit for making an informed hire. Who doesn't like what they are seeing from coach Fran???

Go Hawks!!!

Too early to tell...what we know is that he screwed the pooch on the last hire.
But so far, it looks like he has learned his lessons from that disasterous hire.
Cautious attaboy to Barta.

When and if KF ever decides to leave, I'm still scared to death about Barta hiring a football coach even if FM does end up working out.

WAY to early to give him any props. Is there more optimism and public support for the moves? Yes, but not much other choice with no games played yet. If this hire doesn't work out he might be looking for a new job...a monkey could make Iowa FB and Wrestling programs profitable. He's basically needed right now solely to resurrect the Bball program. If that happens then I agree with Tweeterhawk...he'll have made up for Lickliter.

Actually, Barta has made some other hires that have had quick results, Golf and Tennis particularly. We'll see what he does with gymnastics. I know the big 2, at Iowa 3, are really what are important, but there are some other sports as well.

Actually, Barta has made some other hires that have had quick results, Golf and Tennis particularly. We'll see what he does with gymnastics. I know the big 2, at Iowa 3, are really what are important, but there are some other sports as well.

Mebbe. But they're not what Barta will be known for.

I will go out on a limb and give Barta alot of credit for making a move with Lick sooner than alot of people wanted and doing very well with FM.
It will be a long time before FM has finished his 3rd season at Iowa but I have 0 reservations in saying they will be guaranteed better than Lick's three here.
His hard work and enthusiasm alone get him at least 4 years Now. Kids want to play for someone that believes in themselves,is energized upbeat and excited about the next day coming.
IMO there are going to be some players who had Lick's back realize just how good things can be with a good coach. And just how little Lick did to help them be successful.
Rarely can an everyday Joe message board poster be so far away from the inner workings of a sports program as me and easily be able to see how **** poorly it was functioning.
I cannot fathom that Lick could possibly be as bad as what showed up in the Iowa BB program so I'd have to think he just plain never really felt happy or comfortable in IC.

I will go out on a limb and give Barta alot of credit for making a move with Lick sooner than alot of people wanted and doing very well with FM.
It will be a long time before FM has finished his 3rd season at Iowa but I have 0 reservations in saying they will be guaranteed better than Lick's three here.
His hard work and enthusiasm alone get him at least 4 years Now. Kids want to play for someone that believes in themselves,is energized upbeat and excited about the next day coming.
IMO there are going to be some players who had Lick's back realize just how good things can be with a good coach. And just how little Lick did to help them be successful.
Rarely can an everyday Joe message board poster be so far away from the inner workings of a sports program as me and easily be able to see how **** poorly it was functioning.
I cannot fathom that Lick could possibly be as bad as what showed up in the Iowa BB program so I'd have to think he just plain never really felt happy or comfortable in IC.

I agree with this....it took some intestinal fortitude for Barta to swallow his pride,and admit a huge mistake that the lick hire was, so I am very encouraged by his performance starting with the events around the end of the bb season....and Frans hire looks promising.

WAY to early to give him any props. Is there more optimism and public support for the moves? Yes, but not much other choice with no games played yet. If this hire doesn't work out he might be looking for a new job...a monkey could make Iowa FB and Wrestling programs profitable. He's basically needed right now solely to resurrect the Bball program. If that happens then I agree with Tweeterhawk...he'll have made up for Lickliter.[/Q UOTE My thoughts exactly it was his watch that we had all the defections!!! if Caff is the real Deal we'll put it down to a learning experience. It's looking good for forgiveness so far

WAY to early to give him any props. Is there more optimism and public support for the moves? Yes, but not much other choice with no games played yet. If this hire doesn't work out he might be looking for a new job...a monkey could make Iowa FB and Wrestling programs profitable. He's basically needed right now solely to resurrect the Bball program. If that happens then I agree with Tweeterhawk...he'll have made up for Lickliter.[/Q UOTE My thoughts exactly it was his watch that we had all the defections!!! if Caff is the real Deal we'll put it down to a learning experience. It's looking good for forgiveness so far

We won't know for a year or two how well the players and Fran connect. He certainly seems far more passionate as a coach than the previous guy and unafraid to give a player a big hug as he comes off the floor.

Next issue up for Barta could be baseball. Hawks actually looked pretty good on TV vs PSU last weekend and are currently in a 4 way tie for 7th, but could easily miss the B10 tournament again. Coach Dahm hasn't made a whole lot of progress in his time here, but OTOH what % of the Iowa fan base even follows baseball?

Next issue up for Barta could be baseball. Hawks actually looked pretty good on TV vs PSU last weekend and are currently in a 4 way tie for 7th, but could easily miss the B10 tournament again. Coach Dahm hasn't made a whole lot of progress in his time here, but OTOH what % of the Iowa fan base even follows baseball?
It's less of an Iowa problem and more of an upper-midwest thing. It's incredibly difficult to convince kids to play baseball in cold and snow.

Latest posts