Garrett Gate and What People Are Saying

After years of putting up with Pittsburgh and their cheap shots, it's nice to see the tide turn. He shouldn't have done it and I really wish it would've been Rapistberger instead, but there are many Browns fans that will tell you that it was long overdue that payback happened. I totally agree with Garrett's suspension and think it was a horrible thing he did, but I just can't believe that Rudolph got off scot free. He obviously didn't learn his lesson to keep his mouth shut, because he was running it off after the game with a huge smile on his face. Hopefully the Browns can smack it off of him in 2 weeks...if he doesn't conveniently pull a hammy next week.

I would say my experience has been the opposite of yours in my life. When I was young, seemed like people were quick to anger and yelled a lot. And bench clearing brawls were almost a cliche in sports.
This act was different than a "brawl." A helmet was ripped off the head of a QB, then the helmet was used as a weapon, violently, to try to injure the QB.

It happened because the Cleveland player decided to end the game, a great victory for him and his teammates, with a late hit, then attempting to land on the QB, and stay on top of him. The game was over, it served no purpose other than to make national news, damage his team, his coaches, his sport and his profession.

Brawls and skirmishes happen often but this has never happened. Players and former players are stunned and embarrassed by the act.

After years of putting up with Pittsburgh and their cheap shots, it's nice to see the tide turn. He shouldn't have done it and I really wish it would've been Rapistberger instead, but there are many Browns fans that will tell you that it was long overdue that payback happened. I totally agree with Garrett's suspension and think it was a horrible thing he did, but I just can't believe that Rudolph got off scot free. He obviously didn't learn his lesson to keep his mouth shut, because he was running it off after the game with a huge smile on his face. Hopefully the Browns can smack it off of him in 2 weeks...if he doesn't conveniently pull a hammy next week.
Getting even, the American way.

Getting even, the American way.
Revenge for our late punter.

antonio-brown.gif

There are always lots of cheap shots between heated rivals, especially when they play each other twice a year, every year.

So what happens if the Pittsburgh lineman isn't in the way and Garret gets full connection and Rudolph dies?

Still, to this day, the most dangerous thing I’ve ever seen on a sporting field (or arena) is Roger Clemens hurling a jagged bat (a sharp spear essentially) at Mike Piazza from the mound as Piazza was making his way down the first base lane. I still can’t believe no repercussions came of that. Literally could have pierced Piazza straight through the neck or punctured a vital organ, etc.

The helmet incident is definitely up there, though, with Malace at the Palace and the Bertuzzi hockey punch (I’m fairly young).

Still, to this day, the most dangerous thing I’ve ever seen on a sporting field (or arena) is Roger Clemens hurling a jagged bat (a sharp spear essentially) at Mike Piazza from the mound as Piazza was making his way down the first base lane. I still can’t believe no repercussions came of that. Literally could have pierced Piazza straight through the neck or punctured a vital organ, etc.

The helmet incident is definitely up there, though, with Malace at the Palace and the Bertuzzi hockey punch (I’m fairly young).
This actually happened in Miami in a freak accident. Tyler Colvin, playing for the Cubs in about 2011, was impaled by the jagged edge of a broken bat while running down the third base line. He was lucky that it only collapesed his lung but imagine if it had pierced his heart in a Steve Irwin situation.

There was talk in the seventies, after catcher Steve Yeager was stabbed in the neck by a bat splinter, of converting to aluminum bats in the major leagues. Thank God it was only talk. They quickly invented the neck guard for catchers. Pitchers wouldn't have been so lucky. Dozens would have been killed or maimed and baseball scores would resemble football scores.

I would think there could be a way to schedule the games where teams coming off a bye week get the Thursday night game and then don’t play until the following Sunday. I don’t think the Thursday night game needs to go away, but scheduling needs to be much better.

I would think there could be a way to schedule the games where teams coming off a bye week get the Thursday night game and then don’t play until the following Sunday. I don’t think the Thursday night game needs to go away, but scheduling needs to be much better.
I think this is coming very soon. I've even heard talk of Tuesday/Wednesday night games (sports talk show). The way to make that work is to have a shorter preseason with an 18 week season (16 games) and 2 byes. Would also allow for more recovery time for the players.

So what happens if the Pittsburgh lineman isn't in the way and Garret gets full connection and Rudolph dies?

Just to be on the other side, but what if Rudolph doesn't try to rip Garret's helmet off first, then doesn't proceed to run after him without his helmet.

By no means do I support Garret's actions or the fact he was suspended, but at the same time I have major issues with Rudolph instigating things and getting off with a fine while multiple players were suspended. That said it'll be interesting to see what happens with Garret's appeal, because I thought I heard something earlier saying that the NFLPA is taking the approach that no where in their contracts does it say the league has the right to suspend a player indefinitely (or something to that extent).

We don't do much teaching (anymore) of self-control, anger management, respect for "the other," the value of the "common good," humility, in our society.

It is violent, self-centered, arrogant, entitled, disrespectful.

We have made our bed, you can watch it live.

This has been going on since our inception. We are a self centered species yet we pay no actual attention to what goes on within. Nor do we want to put in the work to change. Greed, Hatred, Delusion (Craving/Aversion/Ignorance) Take out natural disasters and these three are the root of our suffering.

I think things feel/seem worse because of wealth and technology exploding in size over the last century. It's put these traits on steroids. Maybe technology can also help in our ability to heal, but i'm doubtful at the moment. It takes introspection and hard work to change these habits of the mind.

What Garrett did was unexcusable and all, but Rudolph not getting suspended is BEYOND a Joke the little punk started it trying to rip off Garrett's helmet, then he escalated it by kicking/trying to kick him in the nuts, and then when the Pitt oline guy moved Garrett away the idiot rushed at him without a helmet because he had his big oline guy holding onto him....he should have gotten at min 2 games also...but NFL QB's can't get suspended...

I would say my experience has been the opposite of yours in my life. When I was young, seemed like people were quick to anger and yelled a lot. And bench clearing brawls were almost a cliche in sports.

Testosterone levels in males have been plummeting for the past few decades. And now if you have a scuffle, you have to hear Joe Buck call it the worst thing he has ever seen in his [x] years of calling live sports. No one wants Joe Buck's sensibilities to be offended, so they are trying to clean up the game.

Testosterone levels in males have been plummeting for the past few decades. And now if you have a scuffle, you have to hear Joe Buck call it the worst thing he has ever seen in his [x] years of calling live sports. No one wants Joe Buck's sensibilities to be offended, so they are trying to clean up the game.
He can Joe Buck himself.

Latest posts