Garrett Gate and What People Are Saying

Northside Hawk

People are comparing it to the 1965 baseball incident where the Giants Juan Marichal clubbed the Dodgers John Roseboro with a bat, and the 1977 NBA incident where Rudy Tomjonavich had his face caved in by Kermit Washington

While last night's Myles Garrett-Mason Rudolph incident wasn't as agregous as either of those, it shouldn't diminsh the punishment, which is already severe. Garrett should be at least as many games as Vontez Burfict, and consider himself very lucky he didn't end a career last night.

But here's the real issue. It's time to get rid of Thursday Night Football. The players have repeatedly said there's not enough recovery time from the last game, and on top of that, these games almost always involve bitter rivals with axes to grind. Coaches can barely get their game plans in, let alone practice them properly.

Who knows how much the short layoff from the previous game affected Garrett's judgement? He may have still been over the legal limit, from a neurological standpoint, from the previous game. Add the big stage, the rival Steelers, and this is what you get.

Look for the players to push hard to get rid of Thursday Night Football, sans the traditional Thanksgiving games, in their next collective bargaining meetings. Their bodies can't take it, their minds can't take it, and if fans can't take it, if their jonesing for football half the nights of the week, then that is a sad commentary on us all. Of course there are three more elements in play here; owners, networks, and $$$.

Thoughts and opinions on this please.

Had he connected more solidly...it would be all of that, and perhaps more. Imagine Rudolph laying unconscious on the field, bleeding from the head. It was that close.

We don't do much teaching (anymore) of self-control, anger management, respect for "the other," the value of the "common good," humility, in our society.

It is violent, self-centered, arrogant, entitled, disrespectful.

We have made our bed, you can watch it live.

Should have called the cops as soon as he got to the locker room. They would have had to investigate it, Garrett would have been arrested (no cop shop in the country would want the PR shit storm of letting a football player have a pass), and then Goodell would be forced to get serious. He’d have no choice but to start banning players for life.

Suspensions and fines don’t do shit. They didn’t do shit when Haynesworth got one, it didn’t when Burfict got one, and it’s not going to do anything for Garrett.

These dudes all have CTE to one extent or another, and two of the most prominent symptoms are aggression and loss of impulse control. I’d bet a million bucks that Garrett’s brain looks like Swiss cheese.

Should have called the cops as soon as he got to the locker room. They would have had to investigate it, Garrett would have been arrested (no cop shop in the country would want the PR shit storm of letting a football player have a pass), and then Goodell would be forced to get serious. He’d have no choice but to start banning players for life.

Suspensions and fines don’t do shit. They didn’t do shit when Haynesworth got one, it didn’t when Burfict got one, and it’s not going to do anything for Garrett.

These dudes all have CTE to one extent or another, and two of the most prominent symptoms are aggression and loss of impulse control. I’d bet a million bucks that Garrett’s brain looks like Swiss cheese.

The NHL and other hockey leagues had to go after and stop the goonery decades ago when local jurisdictions would file charges for spearing and using a stick to clobber an opponent in the head. Some hockey players were seriously injured as you could rupture a vital organ with a spearing stick action. I will try to look it up but in the 60's or 70's there was a big legal action against a Bruin I think for cracking another players skull. Helmets are good now.

The NHL and other hockey leagues had to go after and stop the goonery decades ago when local jurisdictions would file charges for spearing and using a stick to clobber an opponent in the head. Some hockey players were seriously injured as you could rupture a vital organ with a spearing stick action. I will try to look it up but in the 60's or 70's there was a big legal action against a Bruin I think for cracking another players skull. Helmets are good now.
Yes, hit a guy in the back of the head with stick, end of the aggressor's career, forget name, I think it was prosecuted as an assault with intent to seriously injure. Perhaps IowaLaw can write a summary (succinct)

Yes, hit a guy in the back of the head with stick, end of the aggressor's career, forget name, I think it was prosecuted as an assault with intent to seriously injure. Perhaps IowaLaw can write a summary (succinct)

Ted Green and Wayne Maki Swing Their Sticks
4 OF 50

1. It was only a preseason game, but the violence was real. Wayne Maki of the St. Louis Blues and Boston's Ted Green got into a stick-swinging duel that ended with Green being struck in the head and falling to the ice.

Green fractured his skull and suffered brain damage. As a result, he missed the entire 1969-70 season and had to wear a helmet when he returned to the ice the following season.

Those who saw it said Maki's attack was one of the most violent in league history.

The NHL cut down on goons and out of control fighting for several reasons: injured players and lawsuits, players' union wanted to have players protected, most of all...the NHL found out that in spite of the diehards who loved the fighting and "real hockey" a huge amount of potential fans (mothers/kids) wouldn't watch it because of the rampant violence. It was a good move to limit it...if you provide potential-future customers what they DON'T want, you run yourself out of business.

We don't do much teaching (anymore) of self-control, anger management, respect for "the other," the value of the "common good," humility, in our society.

It is violent, self-centered, arrogant, entitled, disrespectful.

We have made our bed, you can watch it live.

I would say my experience has been the opposite of yours in my life. When I was young, seemed like people were quick to anger and yelled a lot. And bench clearing brawls were almost a cliche in sports.

maybe i've missed it, but i haven't seen anyone mention that rudolph just came off concussion protocol and get's hit in the head with a helmet? yeah, that's assault. you wanna clean up the game? season suspension for intentionally pulling the helmet off and indefinite suspension for swinging it. seriously, we're already talking about guys that are threading the needle between a collision sport and a brain injury that can cause them to commit suicide.

maybe i've missed it, but i haven't seen anyone mention that rudolph just came off concussion protocol and get's hit in the head with a helmet? yeah, that's assault. you wanna clean up the game? season suspension for intentionally pulling the helmet off and indefinite suspension for swinging it. seriously, we're already talking about guys that are threading the needle between a collision sport and a brain injury that can cause them to commit suicide.

If you take away a year's salary they will get the message. Money and rings are the most important thing to most of these players.

Pretty simple: 'roid aggression. The classless teammate of Garrett's who came at Rudolph--helmetless Rudolph--from behind and shoved him was almost as bad.

I would, if I were a bettor, throw serious cash on three things:
1) Garrett WILL play the race card
2) NFLPA will put pressure on Rudolph, who will suddenly admit he was equally at fault
3) The memes will be epic

Garrett doesn't know how lucky he is that, of all the parts of that helmet that could have made contact with Rudolph's head, he only made contact with the foam padding on the rear base of the helmet.

Any other part of that helmet hits Rudolph and your dealing with with a serious, possibly career ending injury. And yes, its not inconceivable that he could say Rudolph started the whole thing with a slur or epithet at the bottom of the pile.

On a serious note, Myles Garrett is sick. He needs to be gone from the game. I don't care WHAT Rudolph may have said or done. That was flat-out assault/battery. Cleveland police should have been called.

<<No cop shop in the country would want the PR shit storm of letting a football player have a pass>>

It's Cleveland, dude.

On a serious note, Myles Garrett is sick. He needs to be gone from the game. I don't care WHAT Rudolph may have said or done. That was flat-out assault/battery. Cleveland police should have been called.
I made the comment in the OP that its time to abolish Thursday Night Football. Keep it for Thanksgiving if you have to keep tradition, but give all teams playing on Thanksgiving a bye for the previous Sunday.

Ninety six hours between games isn't enough time to let the player's brains rest from the brutality of the previous games. It's like they are playing legally intoxicated. And of course the brains get damaged anyway but the league is playing with fire with these Thursday games and has been for years. Look at that bad injury in the Eagles-Packers game earlier this year. On a Thursday Night.

I made the comment in the OP that its time to abolish Thursday Night Football. Keep it for Thanksgiving if you have to keep tradition, but give all teams playing on Thanksgiving a bye for the previous Sunday.

Ninety six hours between games isn't enough time to let the player's brains rest from the brutality of the previous games. It's like they are playing legally intoxicated. And of course the brains get damaged anyway but the league is playing with fire with these Thursday games and has been for years. Look at that bad injury in the Eagles-Packers game earlier this year. On a Thursday Night.

Plus, Thursday nights should be for non-P5 college games, just as Friday nights should be for HS football. End of story.

Latest posts