Gardner-Webb's local newspaper coverage

JugadorHawk

Iowa storms back to clip GWU (updated) - Gardner-Webb Sports - The Shelby Star

Quotes from coach Holtmann:

“I think our guys are fearless in their approach. I appreciate that about them and we try to foster that,â€￾ GWU coach Chris Holtmann said. “We get ready to play, and we want our guys to be in attack mode. We want our guys to be fearless, aggressive, and in an attack mindset. Iowa’s great and that’s how we want to play.â€￾

“They played a lot harder, and that allowed them to get some put backs, some offensive rebounds there early,â€￾ Holtmann said. “I thought they dictated things in the second half with physicality, their aggressiveness on both ends. We didn’t respond with great poise throughout the second half."

“We’re young with seven freshmen out of our nine that our eligible to play, so it’s a lesson almost to play with greater poise and greater purpose offensively and defensively,â€￾ Holtmann added. “My hat’s off to Iowa responding like they did in the second half.â€￾

Wow if I was the coach of that team, I would be talking about how we let one slip away, not how great Iowa is. Kind of sends the message to his players that there wasn't anything that they could do to stop the loss from happening.

Wow if I was the coach of that team, I would be talking about how we let one slip away, not how great Iowa is. Kind of sends the message to his players that there wasn't anything that they could do to stop the loss from happening.

They are Gardner Webb ..... The will lose about 100 times more this season, Im sure they will get plenty of practice in the losing post game presser.

He knows damn well a team playing 7 freshman has no business making a game of it with a BoneG team in their barn, especially when it's their 2nd road game in 3 nights.

With the way Iowa came out in the 2nd half, there was no way they could stop that loss from happening.

I'm sure that's the angle he's going to take while teaching his team this week...but he took the high road when serving it up for public consumption. That's all. The players aren't watching his post game presser.

Iowa storms back to clip GWU (updated) - Gardner-Webb Sports - The Shelby Star

Quotes from coach Holtmann:

“I think our guys are fearless in their approach. I appreciate that about them and we try to foster that,†GWU coach Chris Holtmann said. “We get ready to play, and we want our guys to be in attack mode. We want our guys to be fearless, aggressive, and in an attack mindset. Iowa’s great and that’s how we want to play.â€

“They played a lot harder, and that allowed them to get some put backs, some offensive rebounds there early,†Holtmann said. “I thought they dictated things in the second half with physicality, their aggressiveness on both ends. We didn’t respond with great poise throughout the second half."

“We’re young with seven freshmen out of our nine that our eligible to play, so it’s a lesson almost to play with greater poise and greater purpose offensively and defensively,†Holtmann added. “My hat’s off to Iowa responding like they did in the second half.â€

VERY impressed w/ how hard that team played-I have no idea about their conference, but if they keep playing that hard, one would have to think they have a shot at winning it.

That was a very active zone they played, which will be a good experience for this Iowa team. THis Iowa b-ball team moves the ball much better than last year's team-so we are able to generate some good looks by moving the ball side-to-side-they will start going down with more frequency.

And let's not forget, G-W while losing to Lip Scum also gave UNC a good run for more of a game than they wound up doing against our Hawks...and I mean that in the sense that they hung with UNC for a good portion of half number 2 before fading, while Iowa throttled them for the entire half. That coach seems to be "going Fran" on the G-W program and good for them.

Fran said he didn't rant at halftime, just told them what they had to do to win the game and commented on their character. Character is what won the game, that and determination, intensity and ability. No matter whom the opponent was. Woody and McCabe proved their toughness, Josh broke out of his slump and passed the ball very well.This team grew up last night and now have much more confidence......

One of the best Hawkeye rallies I have seen......

Shame that Gardner Webb had so many games in a short period of time. They lost......

Fran said he didn't rant at halftime, just told them what they had to do to win the game and commented on their character. Character is what won the game, that and determination, intensity and ability. No matter whom the opponent was. Woody and McCabe proved their toughness, Josh broke out of his slump and passed the ball very well.This team grew up last night and now have much more confidence......

One of the best Hawkeye rallies I have seen......

Shame that Gardner Webb had so many games in a short period of time. They lost......

I'm not trying to discredit Woody or McCabe but Aaron White was huge at all points of the 2nd half last night. He is one bad ginger.

It was an excellent learning opportunity for a young team. Let's hope from the tip off of the rest of games this season they brings their character at the beginning of the game instead of waiting for the second half, and that was one hell of a second half!