Game thread Iowa vrs. Western Michigan

I was curious how much was improvement and how much was the competition. Before today WMU ranked 42nd in rush defense (just below Iowa and ahead of both of our other opponents) so they weren't soft. I think we saw some real growth in the running game today.
Good stat, makes me feel better about things.

Watching the replay, Max Llewelyn had a tackle on the QB running that was low key huge. He doesn’t make it they pick up a 3rd and forever in the 3rd.

I'll rewarch on Sunday.
Don't get to see many in person.
Last game was the Nevada rain game.

Hard for me to really tell what they looked like. Also got to tailgate today, so i was a little fuzzy.

The frst half was miserable.
Miserable football. Weather delay. So much sitting around for media time outs.

Looks like they coulda run the ball at will, for once.

Passing....not so much.

And the hardest thing to predict about this team...is which back is gonna have a great day.

Watching the replay, Max Llewelyn had a tackle on the QB running that was low key huge. He doesn’t make it they pick up a 3rd and forever in the 3rd.
And, just so you will know, Max, his girlfriend, his parents, picked a pizza at Pagliai’s tonight.

Wow, Kirk let’s us run something other than zone and we put up 200 yards rushing, if only he’d listened ten years ago
We ran a lot of zone today with good success. The counters were off zone blocking as well and they were blocked really well. I didn’t see as many traps today. I will enjoy watching the dvr of this one. You do know that zone blocking is still heavy in the NFL, right? In no way is it outdated.

We ran a lot of zone today with good success. The counters were off zone blocking as well and they were blocked really well. I didn’t see as many traps today. I will enjoy watching the dvr of this one. You do know that zone blocking is still heavy in the NFL, right? In no way is it outdated.
The problem with running zone in the college game is that cut blocks are so important to the scheme. Obviously they aren’t fully banned, but the refs seems to have a really hard time getting the rules right and it has hampered the effectiveness of zone blocking for a while now.

Specifically, no cut blocking outside the tackle box, which means no cutting at the second level. That really hurts the zone scheme. Hat-on-hat is going to prevail beyond the line of scrimmage. It’s a whole different game when you can’t cut linebackers.

For example, if a left tackle takes a step to the left to engage a blitzing LB or DB, no cut blocking. Automatic personal foul. Even if they aren’t getting blitzed, if a defender is beating them and they have to readjust a yard to the left, the cut becomes illegal.

Another big ouch of a rule change: only stationary backs may cut block. Once the back moves (i.e., essentially any play other than a punt) cut blocking become illegal. That means that a lead blocker who is not a lineman cannot cut.

Last edited:
IKR?

Yes, Cade got sacked 4 times.
WMU blitzed a lot.
Not having played football, I can't say if he should have been able to throw it away. To my recollection he only threw it away like once or twice. I also can't tell you if they were coverage sacks.

But, they ran the damn ball!!! They made some sweet holes.
They ran it so well I got mad at Brain for not "unadapting" in favor of the moment. In the past when they couldn't run the ball, he'd run it on 3rd and 4 and lose a yard

The defense was starting to do it's thing. 2 or 3 times the Hawks had 3rd and 4 at WMU's 40ish yard line. Jesus, Brain....when the run works (and the pass isn't..run it there and see what you get. Maybe a first, or it's an easy go for it on 4th.

I guess, though...Taylor had a couple beauties as a result.

I was out of town and watched the game on tape delay. Does anyone know what happened at the end of the first and leading into the second?

I don't know if the recording missed a play or two during the commercial break, but at the end of the first, WMU had just had a short gain on 3rd and 4 or so. The ball was spotted where it looked like it was 4th and about 1 1/2 - 2 yards to go, then, after the wave and commercial break, WVU had the ball 1st and 10(?). Was the ball respotted or did they go for it on 4th down, or did we have a sudden turnover after a punt?

Hercle Ivy
Sports Illustrated photo caption. "It takes an ocean of calamine lotion to stop 28ppg [or whatever it was] Hercle "Poison" Ivy.

Does calamine lotion even exist anymore? Or has it gone the way of mercurochrome, all pretty much replaced by aloe Vera or petroleum jelly. Anyone remember their mom applying that red stinging mercurochrome with a swab when they skinned their knee or elbow or got that baseball strawberry from sliding on hard infield dirt?

I was out of town and watched the game on tape delay. Does anyone know what happened at the end of the first and leading into the second?

Line judge came running from the side like he was gonna spot it a yard short. Other official already had it spot with the nose over the lone.to gain. 1st down coming back from break.

Line judge came running from the side like he was gonna spot it a yard short. Other official already had it spot with the nose over the lone.to gain. 1st down coming back from break.
Okay. Thanks.

He obviously was short on slow-mo (it wasn't even that close) so that must have been a very generous spot....

Okay. Thanks.

He obviously was short on slow-mo (it wasn't even that close) so that must have been a very generous spot....
I watched it again on DVR on the way back from IC today after thinking about it some more.

I just went to look up some football rules. I assumed the line judge would have some responsibility/authority in the spot....cause we see them trotting in all the time on what looks like where they end up spotting it. I'm sure it's somewhat collaborative but it's usually a ref or an umpire that makes the call? (At least what I read).

It was definitely generous. But enough big bodies and on my phone screen...not enough evidence for me to overturn it. But yeah, looked pretty generous to me.

Latest posts