Game Report: Iowa Misses Out on B1G Tourney Double Bye with Loss at Illinois

I have no problem with players doing what CJF did. Coaches can't do anything or they'll be fined. The B1G front office doesn't seem concerned that their refs suck. The NCAA doesn't seem to want to do anything other than pay lip-service to freedom of movement. So yeah, if no one above you seems to give a shit, I'd probably go off a time or two as well if I were a player and someone stuck a microphone in my face and asked me how I felt.

Only reason I might be against ripping the refs is that they hear about it, don't forget it, then might be biased against Hawks in future. I did think when Fran ripped the refs at halftime that we were then going to lose, just because it could lead to less focus.

But the refs suck in the B1G, no doubt.

Iowa made plenty of mistakes in this game that were not caused by the officials. CJF missed two wide open threes in the 2H.

It’s a bad look because it makes Iowa look like sore losers. CJF is a freshman and needs to earn his stripes in my opinion before spouting off about officials.

Fran addressed it half and can reach out to the league office but post game comments by players are pretty weak imo. It puts an unnecessary target on Iowa’s back, from both opponents and the officials.
I don’t like guys making excuses. I have no problem with accurate observations.

Officials in this league have allowed clutching and grabbing all season. Michigan State mauled Iowa and Izzo complained of touch fouls.
I suspect it will be more of the same in the BTT. We will have to heat up from 3 to make a run. I’m hopeful the NCAA will be different...which is good for Iowa and not so good for Wisconsin and Rutgers to name a couple.

I have no problem with players doing what CJF did. Coaches can't do anything or they'll be fined. The B1G front office doesn't seem concerned that their refs suck. The NCAA doesn't seem to want to do anything other than pay lip-service to freedom of movement. So yeah, if no one above you seems to give a shit, I'd probably go off a time or two as well if I were a player and someone stuck a microphone in my face and asked me how I felt.

I agree with you completely, but my question then is how do players calling officials out help their cause. I guess I see this as being more detrimental than helpful. I just don't see how going after the officiating post game is going to get those same officials to make more favorable calls down the road. As you said the conference nor the NCAA don't seem to care, and since they don't I'm not sure how calling out the refs benefits the players calling them out.

I agree with you completely, but my question then is how do players calling officials out help their cause. I guess I see this as being more detrimental than helpful. I just don't see how going after the officiating post game is going to get those same officials to make more favorable calls down the road. As you said the conference nor the NCAA don't seem to care, and since they don't I'm not sure how calling out the refs benefits the players calling them out.

Totally understand your point and I probably agree with it to a certain extent. I wasn't really addressing whether it was a good idea or would just fall on deaf ears (or even result in reprisals from some refs). It was just that I didn't necessarily have an issue with CJF (or Connor before him) relaying their frustration with their inability to get open with all the clutching and grabbing happening and nothing being called.

Ok guys, you know how this works by now. At the beginning of the season, the refs are gonna enforce fouls early on because of the reviews they make in the off season. As the season goes on, they tend to enforce those fouls less and less. Towards the end of a long season, they tend to swallow their whistles and let them play. It’s up to teams to keep track of the refs tendencies and adjust their games accordingly. It’s the same thing year in and year out. Teams that don’t make these adjustments are just left holding their dicks instead of cutting down nets. You can complain all you want, but that’s how it is.

Latest posts