Game Report: Iowa Misses Out on B1G Tourney Double Bye with Loss at Illinois

The last few games our offense has disappeared for long stretches. Why wasn’t Toussaint playing more minutes in the second half? He was playing so well. Sometimes I just don’t get Fran’s substitution patterns.

The hawks didnt play well the first 10-12 minutes of the first half but made a great comeback.

After all the possessions, fouls, etc it somewhat came down to the turnover where Dusomnu dove on the floor under the hawk basket after the ball was deflected. When they showed the replay of that play Cockburn I think deflected it but then it hit Garza's hand and went toward the floor and most likely would have bounced up into Garza's hands for an easy basket. But I couldnt believe what I saw is the ball going toward the floor barely grazes Garza's sneaker on the side and gently rolls toward the baseline and Illinois possession.

Wow. That was just such a microcosm of the game, that little graze on the side of the sneaker is like the so many missed Illini shots that double bounced on the rim or bounced crazily back to an Illini player.

Let's hope the hawks get most of the bounces and make their own bounces the rest of the way.

A- the T on CJF was horrible.
B- Dusomnu won that game for them.
If guess if you're wearing #11 in Champaign you are allowed to lead your dribble drive by using your non-dribbling hand/forearm as a shield to push opponents away. Guy did it every fucking time and never got called.

Officials in this league have allowed clutching and grabbing all season. Michigan State mauled Iowa and Izzo complained of touch fouls.

I've got no issues with what CJ said as long as it's allowed. If the players can call out the refs and we ALL know that reffing in this league has been suspect, then call them out. I didn't have a problem when Connor did it and I don't have a problem with CJ doing it. Good look, who cares, say what you are feeling. Tell us what is happening? We want our athletes to be transparent and we complain when we get stock answers then we also don't like when the players tell the truth? It's a tough crowd. Fran basically said the SAME thing at half. I loved it. They were trying to fight through it, they couldn't. Tell us what was happening.

Last edited:
Its my opinion this is a soft team besides Garza on the offensive end. They are not physical enough on rebounding and do not try and take the ball to the hoop on a consistent basis like they have in some games. Their lack of bodying people up on the defensive glass really hurt them in some games I watched. Lots of turning turning and looking at the shot rather than getting a good box out. Then as of late, especially, with Weiskamp he is content about settling for the outside shot rather than driving and making something happen.

Even great shooters have a night off or month in his case but they can modify their game to still get their points. The Hawks really need JW to step up his game in order to do any damage in post season. If he can't step it up it will be a short tourney run. Same with CJF, if he thinks he is being guarded aggressively he needed to counter that and adapt. Bottom line is those guys are way too good to not be scoring in double figures every game.

Frustrating loss but Iowa fought back and had a chance to tie or win. Wieskamp needs to get his mojo back as it makes it harder for Iowa to win games when he is off.

I've got no issues with what CJ said as long as it's allowed. If they players can call out the refs and we ALL know that reffing in this league has been suspect, then call them out. I didn't have a problem when Connor did it and I don't have a problem with CJ doing it. Good look, who cares, say what you are feeling. Tell us what is happening? We want our athletes to be transparent and we complain when we get stock answers then we also don't like when the players tell the truth? It's a tough crowd. Fran basically said the SAME thing at half. I loved it. They were trying to fight through it, they couldn't. Tell us what was happening.
Iowa made plenty of mistakes in this game that were not caused by the officials. CJF missed two wide open threes in the 2H.

It’s a bad look because it makes Iowa look like sore losers. CJF is a freshman and needs to earn his stripes in my opinion before spouting off about officials.

Fran addressed it half and can reach out to the league office but post game comments by players are pretty weak imo. It puts an unnecessary target on Iowa’s back, from both opponents and the officials.

Frustrating loss but Iowa fought back and had a chance to tie or win. Wieskamp needs to get his mojo back as it makes it harder for Iowa to win games when he is off.
With the current version of Wieskamp we have Iowa is severely limited. If Wieskamp is back to the form he played at prior to this slump we are a legit top 20 team. We keep waiting for him to break out of his slump but we are kind of running out of time for that to happen.

Iowa made plenty of mistakes in this game that were not caused by the officials. CJF missed two wide open threes in the 2H.

It’s a bad look because it makes Iowa look like sore losers. CJF is a freshman and needs to earn his stripes in my opinion before spouting off about officials.

Fran addressed it half and can reach out to the league office but post game comments by players are pretty weak imo. It puts an unnecessary target on Iowa’s back, from both opponents and the officials.

meh, I am ok with it. I am also ok with you not being. I like when players speak their minds. I also like sore losers. I am different in that regards. I want guys who don't like to lose. If you watch the comment, he said he needed to play through it and be better.

Latest posts