Game Report: Boilermakers Blow Out Iowa in West Lafayette

Part of it was Purdue making open shots all night.

Yea, I’m not sweating this one...Shit happens and Hawks were the toilet, tonight.

Questions tho, Rob ...
Luka is a freakin machine, win or lose. His style, attitude and effort make him one of my all-time favs and I just love watching him play. Looking to next year, with everyone healthy and the potential team ... likely very special!

What’s ur sense - based on info and / or gut - that he comes back? Is he a traditional guy that wants to see what they can do or more one to feel he’s done what he can and it’s time to move up?

Despite Purdue having a once in a lifetime performance, they are still no better than a NIT participant. Next week they will be back to their regular below average self. They still have to come to Carver and we will show them that payback is a bitch.
Most of us like Kenpom. I definitely do. Purdue is 16 and we are 19. So we didn’t lose to a bunch of scrubs. They beat Michigan State by 29. I also think we will avenge this loss and Penn State and Nebraska. See Michigan and Maryland home and away.

Edit - Sometimes we forget we start 2 freshmen, 2 sophomores and a junior. They’re smart and talented. But when things go sideways it can snowball quickly in a game.

Last edited:
Yea, I’m not sweating this one...Shit happens and Hawks were the toilet, tonight.

Questions tho, Rob ...
Luka is a freakin machine, win or lose. His style, attitude and effort make him one of my all-time favs and I just love watching him play. Looking to next year, with everyone healthy and the potential team ... likely very special!

What’s ur sense - based on info and / or gut - that he comes back? Is he a traditional guy that wants to see what they can do or more one to feel he’s done what he can and it’s time to move up?

I think it's too early to say he's staying or going. It needs to play out.

I do think he goes through the NBA Draft process. And he should. And then we'll see how he's evaluated. There's also a chance he could be offered big money to play overseas.

I really don't think he's thinking about any of that right now. That's not how he's wired. He'll figure it out after the season.

I thought former Purdue player and now broadcaster on BTN summed it pretty well in his post game comments. " Looked like they rolled the ball out there and went at it like Y ball." I think that summarized Iowa's defensive effort last night. Perhaps we were tired it sure looked like it and once again not much depth on the bench hurt. Even Fran had a different look. Any time the camera swung past the bench he was sitting in his chair looking like he was somewhere where he didn't want to be.

I thought former Purdue player and now broadcaster on BTN summed it pretty well in his post game comments. " Looked like they rolled the ball out there and went at it like Y ball." I think that summarized Iowa's defensive effort last night. Perhaps we were tired it sure looked like it and once again not much depth on the bench hurt. Even Fran had a different look. Any time the camera swung past the bench he was sitting in his chair looking like he was somewhere where he didn't want to be.
It was pretty apparent how this was going to go by halftime. But Fran couldn’t grab the remote and turn the channel.

The guys looked tired and ran into a buzz saw. I’m just hoping JT and CJ aren’t hitting the freshman wall. I think that’s a real thing. But it usually passes and they get their 2nd wind.

Most of us like Kenpom. I definitely do. Purdue is 16 and we are 19. So we didn’t lose to a bunch of scrubs. They beat Michigan State by 29. I also think we will avenge this loss and Penn State and Nebraska. See Michigan and Maryland home and away.

Edit - Sometimes we forget we start 2 freshmen, 2 sophomores and a junior. They’re smart and talented. But when things go sideways it can snowball quickly in a game.

When you beat UVA by 29, MSU by 29, Wisky by 19, and us by 36, you're going to get some major bonus points in KenPom. On a neutral site, we would beat that team by 8-10 points. But there's something about Mackey that just makes teams fold. Purdue is now something like 47-5 at Mackey in conference play over the last 6 years.

I posted this earlier in another thread, but the odds of a 12-10 team beating the likes of UVA, MSU, Wisky, and Iowa by a combined 113 points has to be right up there with winning the lottery. That is the most crazy home court advantage in any one season I've ever seen.

Latest posts