Game of the Decade

bws258

This thread is here to solicit nominations for the Iowa Hawkeye football game of the decade. Name you game and name your reason. Nominations are due by 12/30, with an official poll to follow.

I nominate Purdue @ Iowa, 2002. This is the best game I've ever been to. Some highlights:

N Kaeding 51 yd FG (3-0)
PU 61 yd TD pass (3-7)
PU TD run (3-14)
A Allen 85 yd TD return of blocked FG (10-14)
J Roberts TD recovered blocked punt (17-14)
D Clark 95 yd TD catch & run, including hurdling a defender (24-14)
PU TD run (24-21)
PU TD run (24-28)
Brad Banks Heisman highlight 41 yard run
D Clark TD catch on 4th down late 4th Q (31-28)
A Shelton interception seals the win

Would've been Iowa@Michigan State 2009, because of what was riding on it...2 losses later, it's Iowa vs LSU in the 2005 Cap1, Tate to Holloway.

The PSU game. After Kirks father passed away, that was a sad moment, I almost shed a tear with him in the interview because my grandpa just passed away earlier that year.

I'll always think back to two games during our two B10 championship years.

Iowa at Michigan 2002. The Hawks go to the Big House on Homecoming and beat the Wolverines 34-9.

Iowa vs Ohio State 2004. The Hawks destroy OSU 33-7 at Kinnick.

Im going with the 2001 Alamo Bowl with Kaeding's field goal with 33 left that really started the success under Ferentz.

I would say the LSU game.

However for debate let's include the Win against Wisconsin at Kinnick which resulted in us being Co-Champions of the Big Ten. That was an awesome night.

Penn St. 2002. Won the game 42-35 in OT and afterwards the TV shows an angry Joe Pa running up behind an official and grabbing him and spinning him around. Funny, there never was any mention of any sort of repremand for that that I recall.

Iowa at Michigan State, 2009. It was the first time the program was ever 8-0, and we wouldn't be in a BCS bowl without the win.

Iowa @ Penn State 2000. 2OT, Iowa gets an interception to seal it. Followed it up the next week with beatdown of NW to knock them out of the Rose Bowl.

Western Michigan 2007 - marked the end of the Ferentz "I'll play the guy whose been here longer era." O'Keefe called a perfect game but the defense let us down.

Runner-Up - Northern Illinois at Soldier - did some serious drinkin' and then got to drink in the stadium for the first game of the year - something awesome about watching the Hawks with the Lake right in the background and the perfect weather.

If not the LSU game, I would have to agree w/ Dynasty with the PSU game just after Kirk lost his father. Low scoring game like 5-3 or 6-4, something like that. Scothawk has an awesome video of that game/season.

Probably not a consensus opinion, but why not this year's PSU game? Put us back on the national map after the UNI win, plus PSU had these things going for them:

* Revenge factor
* "Alleged" better team (They were ranked top 5)
* Home game
* Night game
* White out

Then, on their first offensive play, they dial up a 79 yard TD pass, putting the crowd into an even bigger frenzy and putting us in an early hole.

Of course, we had one big thing going for us:

* Six seconds of hell
* [BONUS]Adrian Clayborn[/BONUS] :)

Latest posts