Game 1 Thoughts

Foval21

I feel that overall there are a lot of good things that came from the game. The biggest is game experience and the coaches really seeing the deficiencies in game situation so they can scheme better for better opponents.

Defense:

DE - ott was very good. The other side is limited as hardy has limitations and Meier does too but together they will be ok as a rotation. Here is to Meier becoming more all around.

DT - all American and all big 10 are the 2 starters in my opinion. Davis dominated and ltp was his normal energizer bunny.

LB - weak to say the least. Spearman should only attack and never cover the pass. Probably a de next yr. Alston is solid run defender but everyone saw why he couldn't surpass Morris he is weak against the pass. Bower was all over and will be good. Hope Jewell can play and hope he is an upgrade against the pass.

CB - king is going to be the best cb of the ferments tenure (I said it) he is what I thought lowery would be. Mabin will be tested this yr but he looks like a more than adequate robin for king's batman.

Safety - weak. Solid against the run but lowdermilk looked more like his early 2013 self than his end of 2013 self. Lo max is still learning the position. I expect them to clean up their mistakes a lot be the next game.

Specials:

K - weak, weak, weak...kicking game must get better and I am not sure how much better they can get in a week or over the season.

P - not sure how this will be as Kidd did not look much better than kornbrath last year so I see kornbrath getting more looks to take the spot back.

Offense:

OL - scherff was solid as was Blythe. After that it was weak. Donnal looks more like a guard with how he was beat on the edge. Walsh and welsh struggled a lot. Hopefully they can clean this up. I don't see any reason they should pencil those other three in as automatics after that game.

TE - solid performance and I expect this to be one of the most prolific yrs for this position. They have speed and strength and each one will have big games.

WR - solid performance and showed good depth but I feel they will weed some out and get to a consistent 6 in the next few weeks.

RB - it was underwhelming but I actually put that on 2 things: 1) OL problems and 2) the rotation. I think they rotated a little too much as it looked like none of the rbs got any rhythm. Also the guards and Donnal were getting pushed back and that hurts. I would like to see Daniels and Canzeri more early with Weisman on short yardage and later to grind out time. Bullock proves more and more in my mind he is more wr than rb. I would rather he get shots as 3rd down only if not just as a wr.

QB - a lot has been made of check downs. And early they were not they were planned quick throws to get a rhythm. He was 75 percent and went through his progressions well in the second half. He looked like he had his legs back and felt comfortable in the pocket. Plus he felt comfortable enough to throw the ball to all those receivers when he could just rely on proven commodities. The offense will open up but many of those short throws were called and not progression drop offs. When he did those you could see him work through it and rudock does it well.

All in all at least the coaches have film to teach from as we are young and need a lot of coaching up. And if they can coach them up the talent is there.

I think is some ways Iowa treated this game like a scrimmage. They had certain things they were going to work on and even though they respected UNI, Iowa's coaching staff felt that they were going to win.

I'm thinking the same thing Dems. usually ferentz is really stubborn and committed to running the ball. This game was much different.

How exactly are we young?

Experience at many positions. Lomax and Mabin are inexperienced at DB. All three linebackers are inexperienced...even Alston being a senior hasn't played a lot of quality snaps. That is 5 of 11 defenders. Then on offense outside of smith and kmm I would say the receivers are still green as none after those two have been expected to do a lot before now. Welsh just got his feet wet at LG and I would say Donnal and Walsh showed they are still green even with their 1 yr of starting under them.

I think is some ways Iowa treated this game like a scrimmage. They had certain things they were going to work on and even though they respected UNI, Iowa's coaching staff felt that they were going to win.

Completely agree that is why I think the biggest positive is video to show the players how they messed up and coach them up for the next one.

reminds of good KF teams...start slow and finish strong. In games and seasons.

Kicking was weak? I guess Hawkeye kickers in their first game are not allowed to miss anything. Kickoffs were great, coverage was good, where's the problem besides one missed field goal?

Kicking was weak? I guess Hawkeye kickers in their first game are not allowed to miss anything. Kickoffs were great, coverage was good, where's the problem besides one missed field goal?

Kick offs were ok at best...coverage was solid but I was talking about the actual kicker. The missed fg was big and could have been haunting. Plus the fact that there has been talk out of camp that the kicking game is weak followed up by a missed fg.

Agree very much. No one likes a missed FG but I am expecting a few. He nailed the PAT's and first FG so that was good. What I was most happy with though is his leg strength on kick offs. He put several out of the end zone. He also seemed to have some height on them. It took until his Senior year for Meyer to reach the end zone with his. The ability to get touch backs saves us from the coverage adventure.

So to characterize it as weak, weak, weak after what we saw I do not get yet.

Kick offs were ok at best...coverage was solid but I was talking about the actual kicker. The missed fg was big and could have been haunting. Plus the fact that there has been talk out of camp that the kicking game is weak followed up by a missed fg.

I think the kickoffs were better than OK. Kicked off 6 times, UNI only returned 2 of them, and got a 20 yd return, and a 16 yd return. That is pretty dang good really.

Repeating other posts, but....

#1--Clock management once again was awful. Really awful. I don't get it.
#2--4th quarter, 4 minutes left and we can't get consecutive 1st downs to put a game away? Same as last year and it cost us last year.
#3--They need to TURN DOWN THE MUSIC....cripes....I couldn't talk to my neighbor when it was blaring. Awful.
#4--Nice to see the opposing fans spread out in the north endzone. No more cheering for their team in/out of the tunnel.

Re: OP WR comments: If we are looking at 6, I think we see KMM/Smith/Hillyer/Powell/Willies/Vandy. That's a strop two deep right there.

Repeating other posts, but....

#1--Clock management once again was awful. Really awful. I don't get it.
#2--4th quarter, 4 minutes left and we can't get consecutive 1st downs to put a game away? Same as last year and it cost us last year.
#3--They need to TURN DOWN THE MUSIC....cripes....I couldn't talk to my neighbor when it was blaring. Awful.
#4--Nice to see the opposing fans spread out in the north endzone. No more cheering for their team in/out of the tunnel.

Suck it up Seth. If you can't talk to your neighbor, imagine how hard it is to communicate on the sideline and in the huddle.
:cool:

Re: OP WR comments: If we are looking at 6, I think we see KMM/Smith/Hillyer/Powell/Willies/Vandy. That's a strop two deep right there.

I agree but hillier may lose out to someone else with that fumble. I think 6 main guys with others getting snaps. Last yr we really had 2 main guys all yr and the others were very green this is a deep group and then factor in the tight ends and you have one good receiving corp.

Latest posts