Gable on DII and DIII wrestling in the big show

iluvatar

Listening to the DII finals and Gable was talking about the DII's and DIII's wrestling in the DI tourney...... most people know that they used to wrestle in this tournament.
Mr. Gables point was that it would be good for the sport, I had never thought of it in this light and have to agree it would be good for the sport.
Personally I would love to see it back to where those schools could qualify for DI's too. I would like to see NAIA as well. They too used to be able to qualify for DI's.
We need to do everything possible to do things that make our sport more visible.

i think every division should have its own nationals then have an allstar event with all classes and host it in iowa city

How about a "tournament of champions" in IC ... take the champs from DI, DII, DII and (contracts permitting) NAIA in a four-man tourney.

How many used to be let in? Just champs?

A D1 Champion has no use in going to an all-star meet. It would be a lose/lose for them. If they won by major it would feel like a loss, if they beat the snot out of a d2/d3 champ what does that prove?

I'd say let the champions in from D2 and D3. That'd give them a chance at pulling out a victory somewhere. Even if it was on the backside of the bracket, that would still be an honor for a lower level wrestler.

I think it is a cool idea, I am not sure if they still do it in other sports - but at Simpson we had a couple athletes go to the DI championships - women's golf, and maybe track and field?

scotty what year you graduate?
2000, but the people I were referring to were before I went there. Didn't Janvrin go to the DI championships?

I would love to have seen Nate Ackerman get the exposure of a national audience he championship year.

Last edited:
I love the idea and wish it would happpen. Many of the top D2 and D3 guys can compete with many Div 1 guys, but if you are a Div 1 coach you'd never go for it because what do you gain from it? Especially if they took bids from the D1 pool. And even if they didn't do that, it's just more wrestlers to beat your guys and keep them from being AA. From a fan's perspective, it's a no brainer, we'd all love to see it.

How many used to be let in? Just champs?

A D1 Champion has no use in going to an all-star meet. It would be a lose/lose for them. If they won by major it would feel like a loss, if they beat the snot out of a d2/d3 champ what does that prove?

I'd say let the champions in from D2 and D3. That'd give them a chance at pulling out a victory somewhere. Even if it was on the backside of the bracket, that would still be an honor for a lower level wrestler.

Top 4 from Division II and the champ from Division III.

Latest posts