Future of Technology and the Big10 Network

Again, I said I have no idea if it would or would not put the Big 10 behind any other conference. Largest alumni base doesn't necessarily mean largest fan following. I graduated from Iowa but most of my friends didn't and they're still die hard Hawk fans...

I'm just saying the population density in other conferences territories is much larger. Thus I would assume that means they have more potential for customers to "opt in" (both alumni and non-alumni). The size of the stadium really has nothing to do with how many people are tuning in on their television or in the future their "network". They do currently have the largest network contracts but that could also change depending on what method they have to use to make their programs accessible to viewers.

I don't doubt that the Big 10 will always remain towards the top because we have an incredibly dedicated fan base. I'm just saying if other conferences can figure out how to gain equal or greater footing than the big 10 financially it will be interesting to see if or how they adjust.

I don't know why I am arguing with you, you clearly don't get it. The B10 already has the largest tv contract, even before the BTN. Why do you think that is? Audience. Size of the stadium doesn't matter? You don't think that shows an indication of fan support? I don't think Colorado could fill Michigan Stadium, why do you think that is? Alumni base doesn't indicate fan support? Who have the largest alumni bases in the country? Michigan, OSU, PSU and Texas. You don't think they have the largest non-alumni fan bases too?

The method they have to use in the future will be the same one everyone will have to use, so that is irrelevant. The only conference that could argue their fans are as passionate as the B10's is the SEC, no other conference can. That will not change.

Wasn't 1 of Iowa's basketball games only available online this past year?

I think ultimately what the big 10 could/should do, if they aren't able to make it onto most basic tear packages, start an online subscriber based network. streaming the TV content online for say $30 a year (that is more then $0.70/m), or $10 per week (perfect for football, especially for the away team that's game is being broken down that week). This would save some people money who want to watch the game but aren't able to in their area, and others who don't want to pay for channels they are forced to get with the package deal.

To help promote it what they could do is offer 1 free game a week (BTN choice) so people could sort of test it out when it is just starting. (Never the weakest game that week)

Think about the PSU/Bama game in Happy Valley in 2011. put that on the BTN and I'm pretty sure those Bama fans that don't make the trip are willing to fork over $10 for that game.

Latest posts