Fun Thread To Distract Us: Who Would Win?

Who Would Win?

• Team loaded with all centers (#5 spot)

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Team Loaded with all guards (#1 spot)

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters
I'd have to say centers. They could score 2 points about every time down the floor. Rebounding would be completely one sided too. You gotta figure most centers are at least 6'10 and most 1s are under 6'4. Guards would have to press like crazy and hope for steals. Centers would try to pass up over the guards and post up down low. Interesting topic.

I'd have to say centers. They could score 2 points about every time down the floor. Rebounding would be completely one sided too. You gotta figure most centers are at least 6'10 and most 1s are under 6'4. Guards would have to press like crazy and hope for steals. Centers would try to pass up over the guards and post up down low. Interesting topic.

Guards would be quicker getting up and down the court for passes and layups. You'd almost have to have a center stay back at the defensive end.

Guards would be quicker getting up and down the court for passes and layups. You'd almost have to have a center stay back at the defensive end.
Depends on whether or not the 3-point line is in effect.

If not, leave two centers on defense and play three on offense. The guards wouldn't have a chance.

If it is in effect, it could get interesting. The guards could push the pace and spread the court out on offense, trading 3 for 2.

In 2017, Iowa played (Garza, Cook, Nunge, Wagner, Pemsl, and Kriener) on average 100 minutes per contest. That’s all of the minutes at the 4/5 and 20 minutes at the 3. Iowa won 4 B1G games that year which I believe is tied for the worst conference season in school history.

There is your answer. Guards would win easily. How are the centers going to get the ball across half court?

Guards. They could run and gun, press, and run the bug guys out of the gym. They'd be too quick on defense and would just double team the post or play zone. You would assume the centers wouldn't shoot them out of a zone.

In 2017, Iowa played (Garza, Cook, Nunge, Wagner, Pemsl, and Kriener) on average 100 minutes per contest. That’s all of the minutes at the 4/5 and 20 minutes at the 3. Iowa won 4 B1G games that year which I believe is tied for the worst conference season in school history.

There is your answer. Guards would win easily. How are the centers going to get the ball across half court?
During the licklighter years we had tall guards playing forwards and short forwards playing center. We hardly won any games.

The team of centers would have way more turnovers, but they would shoot a way higher percentage from the field and dominate the boards. Imagine the best point guard in the league guarding Garza. On the other end, Garza could just concede jump shots or rely on help defense.

On the high school level Waterloo East dominated Iowa high school basketball for about 7-8 years from the mid nineties to early aughts and their tallest starter was frequently 6'1 or 6'2.

But good luck dealing with their team speed and quickness.

Depends on whether or not the 3-point line is in effect.

If not, leave two centers on defense and play three on offense. The guards wouldn't have a chance.

If it is in effect, it could get interesting. The guards could push the pace and spread the court out on offense, trading 3 for 2.

True. All depends on if the guards are knocking down their threes.

I voted guards.

Centers would struggle to do anything off the bounce as they simply are not the ball handlers that guards are. Guards would have better shooting range and would most likely force the centers to either play zone or pull them away from the basket.

You can't coach height, but you can't win without athleticism.

During the licklighter years we had tall guards playing forwards and short forwards playing center. We hardly won any games.

The team of centers would have way more turnovers, but they would shoot a way higher percentage from the field and dominate the boards. Imagine the best point guard in the league guarding Garza. On the other end, Garza could just concede jump shots or rely on help defense.
I think some folks center because they are assuming Garza. A guy who has the potential to go down as potentially the best player in Iowa basketball history. That’s a skewed viewpoint imo.

A typical center that doesn’t shoot the three well, doesn’t handle the particularly well, and is not the greatest passer. Turnovers would be plentiful and if they concede jump shots it’s going to be an issue the way kids can shoot the basketball from deep these days.

Assuming traditional centers (tall, slow, not great ball handlers, not great outside shooters) and traditional PGs (short, quick, and average shooters) -- in other words no freaks like Magic or Durant that are a little of each -- then I go with the guards. The centers would struggle to get the ball up the court and get into an offensive set and would be limited to 2 point chances. The guards would score off steals and could run circles around the big guys to get off mostly uncontested shots from all over the court, but especially a lot of wide open 3s.

I put that as well. The guards have speed which is their biggest attribute. But, I think the height of all centers would trump. The guards would have one shot. Rebounding completely one sided. They'd have to hit their outside shots. If they don't, the centers could zone it up on them. On offense, I don't think would be that hard to dump it down low if have 5 centers on the court. Yes, not a point guard but most can get the ball up the court.

Garza and many centers can go out now and pop a 3 if they had to. Some can shoot it. So, they can spread the floor a bit as well. 6' 10' guys shooting from 3 is not that weird anymore. They aren't going to drive on the guards, though. They'd have to pass it around in the half court.

I voted guards.

Centers would struggle to do anything off the bounce as they simply are not the ball handlers that guards are. Guards would have better shooting range and would most likely force the centers to either play zone or pull them away from the basket.

You can't coach height, but you can't win without athleticism.

This has changed over the years, though. This ain't 1983 anymore. Most legit basketball players can dribble effectively, or at least get it up to half court. This is where the BIGS will lack driving and pass it around. But, I think they'd get the ball up the court. Also, BIGS now shoot outside more than ever.

Over the years with youth b-ball and AAU ball, most players can effectively dribble. It isn't about always getting the ball to the #1 guard anymore. If the BIGS keep the ball high and not attempt to dribble in the half court so much, I don't see them turning it over all that much.

I think a lot of result would be how effective the guards are shooting outside.

There is no way a normal center in college ball is bringing the ball up the court against pressure from guys like Joe Touissant.

But, I have this funny mental image of the centers doing a bucket brigade where they all stand 15 feet a part and just toss it high to each other to get the ball down the court while the guards jump like puppies trying to swipe the ball.

There is no way a normal center in college ball is bringing the ball up the court against pressure from guys like Joe Touissant.

But, I have this funny mental image of the centers doing a bucket brigade where they all stand 15 feet a part and just toss it high to each other to get the ball down the court while the guards jump like puppies trying to swipe the ball.
Funny that's what I see as well. Just pass it over the defender. Having 8-10 inches is a huge deal. People like to say Nunge couldn't play the 3, and are right, but imagine him with a 6'2" guy on him instead of a 6'7" guy. I think a team of 3s could take advantage of being smaller and quicker. But a team of 1s would be too big of a height disadvantage.

This has changed over the years, though. This ain't 1983 anymore. Most legit basketball players can dribble effectively, or at least get it up to half court. This is where the BIGS will lack driving and pass it around. But, I think they'd get the ball up the court. Also, BIGS now shoot outside more than ever.

Over the years with youth b-ball and AAU ball, most players can effectively dribble. It isn't about always getting the ball to the #1 guard anymore. If the BIGS keep the ball high and not attempt to dribble in the half court so much, I don't see them turning it over all that much.

I think a lot of result would be how effective the guards are shooting outside.

Agreed that the league has changed but I'd argue that "bigs" who can dribble that effectively are probably being used more as a forward and less of a center in terms of position classification. Although I definitely agree that they are definitely being coached/used to handle the ball more. The other thing is when handling the ball and forced to dribble, they're usually doing it against a player with similar quickness. I'd venture to say that there are very few centers (if any) that have the quickness/reflexes of a guard and are used to handling the ball when being pressed by a quicker smaller player.

Having 8-10 inches is a huge deal. .

renderart_9cef7ed3-0077-4561-9ffc-b7596cc4f306_800x.png

Latest posts