Fun Fact: Worst Team Ever...

kchawknut

...to make the dance may happen tonight! Milwaukee was 8-23 coming into the Horizon Tournament, and they have made it to the championship game! That is not a typo...they only had 8 wins!

Yeah I seen this last night and what an incredible story if UW-Milwaukee wins tonight. I don't remember the last time the lowest seed in a conference tournament won it.

Somewhere, Todd Lickliter smiled. :)
pjtr1.jpg

...to make the dance may happen tonight! Milwaukee was 8-23 coming into the Horizon Tournament, and they have made it to the championship game! That is not a typo...they only had 8 wins!

Wow, look at the bracket! It was almost #9 vs #10 for the title, as Youngstown St upset Oakland in the quarterfinals. Youngstown was 11-20 for the regular season.

my memory is really but but didn't some team end up with like 5 wins and make it once? I remember hearing they only had 7 players and the assistant coach was the janitor as well.

This plays into a thought I heard on "Full Ride" the other day. That is, eliminate the tourney champs from auto bids to the dance.

Instead, take the regular season conference champs as an auto bid.

Sure, hold the tourney if you want, make any income you can, enjoy playing a while longer. But don't link the tourney champs to an auto bid. Take the best teams out there.

This plays into a thought I heard on "Full Ride" the other day. That is, eliminate the tourney champs from auto bids to the dance.

Sure, hold the tourney if you want, make any income you can, enjoy playing a while longer. But don't link the tourney champs to an auto bid. Take the best teams out there.

This a pretty solid argument but I will say that watching these small conference championships is kinda fun. All these teams have so much to play for.

The regular season basically means nothing for a lot of these smaller conferences...but at the same time winning your conference tournament means you get a 14-16 seed and likely get crushed by a powerhouse too. So i guess in the end maybe these smaller conferences place more weight on winning the regular season conference.

Iowa State can let us know how it works in a few years when the big 12 dissolves

Here's a list of 10 teams that finished under .500 but won their respective conference tournaments .. and this is just in the last 20 years. LINK

GO HAWKS!!!

Take away the auto bid and these conference tournaments are meaningless. Then these minor conferences would miss out on TV revenue generated from their tournaments. These conference tournaments are all part of this "March Madness".

Take away the auto bid and these conference tournaments are meaningless. Then these minor conferences would miss out on TV revenue generated from their tournaments. These conference tournaments are all part of this "March Madness".
I didn't say take away auto bids all-together. I said take away the conference tournament winners as auto bids. Regular season conference champs from all leagues would get an auto bid. But to your point, all tournies are basically money grabs. Entertainment/dollars above all else.

I didn't say take away auto bids all-together. I said take away the conference tournament winners as auto bids. Regular season conference champs from all leagues would get an auto bid. But to your point, all tournies are basically money grabs. Entertainment/dollars above all else.

That's exactly what I was replying too, you can't take away the auto bid from the tournaments or they are rendered useless and there would be no point in playing them. These low major conferences love them, it's the one time per year ESPN cares about them.

Latest posts