Fuller and Brust

Fuller would be a big loss, but I'm getting used to it, regrettably. I think right now it is us or Long Beach St. Fran needs to put the full court press on him. Larson in time will be equally as effective in all probability....maybe May in the short term.

Are you hearing anything on this front Jon?

If he was planning on leaving, I certainly wouldn't expect anything out of him until after he has his meeting with Fran

One thing i have noticed that has not been mentioned. Fuller might want to leave because of other things besides coaching. Maybe he is tired to playing to un-enthusastic fans and an empty house. Maybe he does not like the lack of support. Maybe he does not like the smell of crunch berries when the make them at the factory?

with that said we really need to do our part to help this new coach with kids staying and kids wanting to come here.

Also losing fuller would be a set back, but you can give Fran a -1 for it.

Brust is in Hawaii....Fuller, concerning.

I really believe he had made his mind up to leave, prior to Lick being fired. If he had, then he probably knows where he wanted to go..and if so, the mind buys into that next reality.

BUT...Fuller is also a quiet sort...so could be nothing more than that. Iowa won't release anyone until they have had ample time to speak with Fran.

Brust is in Hawaii....Fuller, concerning.

I really believe he had made his mind up to leave, prior to Lick being fired. If he had, then he probably knows where he wanted to go..and if so, the mind buys into that next reality.

BUT...Fuller is also a quiet sort...so could be nothing more than that. Iowa won't release anyone until they have had ample time to speak with Fran.

I agree with this.

I also think Fuller started his plans to leave. Now is it to late to reconsider. I'm so glad Lickliter is gone. Wow!!! Might have Fuller told Barta he was leaving and Barta then became pro-active to see what other players thought and then the Hammer Dropped.

There is no good way to spin it; If Fuller is not back, this team would suffer immensely next year.

No question losing Fuller would be a blow. But with Cole coming back, some other experience returning, and 3 versitile / talented bigs coming in next year, and the availability of a scholly "IMMENSELY" might be overstating it.

I'm not willing to die on that hill, but I don't think I see it as drastic as that.

There is no good way to spin it; If Fuller is not back, this team would suffer immensely next year.
There is just no sense in fretting about it. Aaron will do what he feel is best for him and that is what we will have to deal with. I certainly hope he stays but if his heart is in another place I wish him well. He has shown great flashes and I'm sure he will get better but I just can't get all twisted up about anyone leaving for any reason. We just got ourselves in a better position to do something so I can't get down if he feels compelled to leave.

Fuller and Cole are immensley different players. Fuller is an effective scorer from 2 spots on the court (inside and mid-range) and can even hit the occasional 3. I love Cole's energy but he is not a scorer.

The team needs Fuller. It's stupid to pretend otherwise.

I know this will ruffle some feathers but my take is that Gatens is what he is, meaning I'm not sure he's going to get drastically better. Conversely, I think Fuller has an incredibly high ceiling.

No question losing Fuller would be a blow. But with Cole coming back, some other experience returning, and 3 versitile / talented bigs coming in next year, and the availability of a scholly "IMMENSELY" might be overstating it.

I'm not willing to die on that hill, but I don't think I see it as drastic as that.

In the long run maybe not. But Jon was referring to NEXT year, and not having Fuller would immensely hurt the team for NEXT year. He's our best player. And you don't usually get better in the short term when you lose your best player from the year before (see chronological departures from the Lickliter era and corresponding results the next season).

If he leaves the Hawks will need to recruit a big guy and a point guard. It will be interesting to see what coach can bring in this spring.

Fuller leaving would be huge, however, i am over guys being here that do not want to be. If Aaron really believes Iowa is not the place for him it is best if he just moves on. Either way we will struggle next season, I would rather rid ourselves of those that do not want to be apart of coach and what he will do here right now and not have to deal with it again.

Does anyone know how comfortable Aaron is here? He is from Arizona. I know he said he liked it here, but it may be a personal thing or just he really wants to be on a competitive team and not a rebuilding one. Many other players are local or from close by or at least the Midwest.

I agree with this.

I also think Fuller started his plans to leave. Now is it to late to reconsider. I'm so glad Lickliter is gone. Wow!!! Might have Fuller told Barta he was leaving and Barta then became pro-active to see what other players thought and then the Hammer Dropped.
Actually, you have it backwards. After May's father talked to Barta, and Barta belatedly made the effort to find out what was on the players' minds, Fuller was one of those who did not indicate any dissatisfaction or intent to consider transferring out.

On the record, Fuller's only public comments have been that he likes being a student at Iowa, likes hims teammates, liked his coach & regretted that he was fired, was not planning on leaving. You can assume that he was dissembling and falsely stating his true feelings for whatever reason, or you assume that he has since changed his mind, or figure that the chaos of the past several weeks has him reconsidering and he is the straight arrow kind of kid he has always seemed to be and isn't going to comment until he decides what he is going to do.

Matt Gatens is by far our best player game in, game out. He had a mid season ankle injury he battled through, and I have to question the basketball IQ of our fans that think Fuller is "by far" our best player. Fuller had a couple of flashes but would dissapear from time to time. He's an undersized 4 and a slow 3. He doesn't shoot the 3 particularly well and can't bang against solid post players. I think he could however thrive in an uptempo system, because he should be able to outquick the opponent's conventional post players. He works in a small lineup and creates matchup problems. If he could solidify his outside shooting, he completes the package and becomes an all big ten player. His size can be a big disadvantage.

Matt Gatens is by far our best player game in, game out. He had a mid season ankle injury he battled through, and I have to question the basketball IQ of our fans that think Fuller is "by far" our best player. Fuller had a couple of flashes but would dissapear from time to time. He's an undersized 4 and a slow 3. He doesn't shoot the 3 particularly well and can't bang against solid post players. I think he could however thrive in an uptempo system, because he should be able to outquick the opponent's conventional post players. He works in a small lineup and creates matchup problems. If he could solidify his outside shooting, he completes the package and becomes an all big ten player. His size can be a big disadvantage.

Fuller is the best offensive rebounder on the team as an "undersized" 4.

What do you consider Gatens? A slow shooting guard or a slow small forward? Gatens can hit the open 3s if you leave him open but at this point in his career he doesn't have much to offer the team other than his 3 point shooting. Fuller on the other hand is the only one on the team that can put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. His 3 point shooting hasn't been good but he has a good looking stroke and I would be willing to bet that it will improve as his career progresses.

Latest posts