Full court press...the whole game!

I

Ian Pike Hammer

If Fran plans on rotating 11/12 players this year, he should press the whole game, or most of it! Look at the success Louisville, West Virginia etc.. have. Top 15 programs, year in, year out!

You must have athletes and a solid rim protector on the court at all times. Or it can be a recipe for disaster.

Actually after thinking about it, PM might be a good fit for this. I'm guessing Cook as well and a couple of others. However, there simply isn't enough athleticism as a unit.

My son's team which is basically a suburban affluent type school would play a number of Chicago city teams early in the season. They'throw on a very tough press and it would work in spurts. I t was hilarious to watch the very quick and fast but somewhat undisciplined speedster opponents. They's shake their heads in disbelief. they weren't used to discipline, strength and grit.

Ironically when they played the farm kids schools it didn't work as well. His team also had a 6 10 rim protector but oft they didn't get that far when pressed.

I don't see Iowa pulling that off much. Would help our scoring average I bet. Then all we have to do is shore up the D right?

yeah, I surely understand. But really, truly, seriously, whata we got to lose??
You want to get slaughtered by 25, 30, 35 a night on a regular basis? Take the team we have right now and the bigs we have right now and try to run a full time full court press. That isn't Roy Marble, Kevin Gamble, Bill Jones and Gerry Wright out there.

You want to get slaughtered by 25, 30, 35 a night on a regular basis? Take the team we have right now and the bigs we have right now and try to run a full time full court press. That isn't Roy Marble, Kevin Gamble, Bill Jones and Gerry Wright out there.

there are different levels of intensity that a team can use during a full court press. you can allow the in-bounds pass,, press just to take time off the shot clock, apply a totally denial press, use a trap only on the side-lines and more. Give me 110% on defense for 5 minutes, then let the next guy do the same.

there are different levels of intensity that a team can use during a full court press. you can allow the in-bounds pass,, press just to take time off the shot clock, apply a totally denial press, use a trap only on the side-lines and more. Give me 110% on defense for 5 minutes, then let the next guy do the same.
I'd settle for 80% from some of these guys, which is about 20% more than some were giving last year. Then worry about seeing how far they can go 110%. You're talking about waves and platoons of fresh players coming in and trying to wear the other team down. But the only team that looks worn down at the end of the game when we need execution the most is us.

We have the length to do some of the zone traps that we did about three years ago. But I don't know if we have the athleticism to do that consistently with this team, even if we have the length. The jury is also still out as to whether some want to put forth the effort, or if the coach will hold them accountable.

I'd settle for 80% from some of these guys, which is about 20% more than some were giving last year. Then worry about seeing how far they can go 110%. You're talking about waves and platoons of fresh players coming in and trying to wear the other team down. But the only team that looks worn down at the end of the game when we need execution the most is us.

We have the length to do some of the zone traps that we did about three years ago. But I don't know if we have the athleticism to do that consistently with this team, even if we have the length. The jury is also still out as to whether some want to put forth the effort, or if the coach will hold them accountable.

damn, I hate it when you're right!

damn, I hate it when you're right!
I'd love to play balls out full court press. I had a front row seat for it in the early Davis years. We just don't have the horses for it, nor do they play with the passion required. Watch the UTEP or Oklamoma games in 1987 or the fall 1987 Maui Classic or the 1989 North Carolina game and you will see a team that played with the passion that our coach says he coaches with. Another game that frequently pops up on ESPN classic is 1995 UConn in the great Alaska Shootout. Those guys were competing, leaving it out there on the court.

Another poster, might have been lightning, brought up a very interesting point a few weeks ago. He said all the movement we do on offense may tire us out when we need to play defense. He could be right. It (our movement, not lightning's comment) could be all sound and fury, signifying nothing. I'll be watching close this fall/winter.

Last edited:

The half-court trap seemed to work well in stretches two years ago when Jordan and Isaiah were freshman.,,,,

That half court trap led to many rallies. A ten point deficit would vanish in a flash.....

Didn't work well last season along with a lot of things. One problem that was noticeable was letting the opponent throw the ball inbounds after a made Hawk basket. There would be a lot of space between the opponent and any Hawkeye defender. They would have two people open to receive the inbounding pass. No pressure at all.....

It was frustrating to watch.....

We will not have difficulty scoring points, but success next season will depend on our ability to stop the opponent from scoring.....

Same as it ever was.....

:cool:

The half-court trap seemed to work well in stretches two years ago when Jordan and Isaiah were freshman.,,,,

That half court trap led to many rallies. A ten point deficit would vanish in a flash.....

Didn't work well last season along with a lot of things. One problem that was noticeable was letting the opponent throw the ball inbounds after a made Hawk basket. There would be a lot of space between the opponent and any Hawkeye defender. They would have two people open to receive the inbounding pass. No pressure at all.....

It was frustrating to watch.....

We will not have difficulty scoring points, but success next season will depend on our ability to stop the opponent from scoring.....

Same as it ever was.....

:cool:

Well said Duke!

I understand what hammer is getting at though. We seemed to be screwed no matter what we do so why not try something different? Hopefully with Fran’s son being healthier this season and higher level recruit coming in as a freshman things will take a major jump for the better.

If not may I suggest a weenee roast over at Gary’s house at the end of the season........... I’ll bring the marshmallows. You guys bring the pitchforks. :eek:

You must have athletes and a solid rim protector on the court at all times. Or it can be a recipe for disaster.

Absolutely correct. I think Fran does a good job knowing when to press and when not to. I like his 3/4 court trap. It seems to really take the air out of an opposing team when they gain momentum.

Loved watching Mr. Davis's teams press relentlessly, but I don't think this squad is built for that.

Full court press all game long.. Gotta have athletes that we don't have for that to work. Even then, if you consider that Tom Davis's press was effective at times, I still wonder if that press allowed more points than it generated, when it was all said and done. Gave up a TON of easy baskets.

I'd rather see solid half-court team defense.

Last edited:
Full court press all game long.. Gotta have athletes that we don't have for that to work. Even then, if you consider that Tom Davis's press was effective at times, I still wonder if that press allowed more points than it generated, when it was all said and done. Gave up a TON of easy baskets.

I'd rather see solid half-court team defense.
The press was designed to get the other team speeded up and eventually wear them down in the second half. Certainly, getting turnovers was a part of it, but Mr. Davis knew he had a deep team and the drop off wasn't great from 4 to 10 in his players. He wanted a track meet...he felt his team would wear teams down...he was right. All his bigs that year could run and were in incredible shape (Horton, Wright, Lohaus). The problem is that when you get to the tournament...it seems like TV timeouts are more prevalent and the way coaches use their timeouts changes.

I've thought the same thing for several years. If you have 11-12 players earning minutes, why not go all out all the time.

There are different kinds of presses you can play depending on situations.

Why the hell not?

I've thought the same thing for several years. If you have 11-12 players earning minutes, why not go all out all the time.

There are different kinds of presses you can play depending on situations.

Why the hell not?

Fran used the press effectively some last year, but waited too long to employ it. Down by 15 with 2 minutes to play is too late!