Fry v. Ferentz - RECRUITING/DEVELOPMENT

MrTHawk

I'm curious how Fry and Ferentz compare in both recruitment and player development.

My hunch is that Fry was a better recruiter, while Ferentz/Doyle develop players better.

Any opinions or statistics out there that can shed some light?

Recruiting rating services either didn't exist or were very primitive back when Fry was in charge. It would be hard to compare just because there is no baseline.

I'm curious how Fry and Ferentz compare in both recruitment and player development.

My hunch is that Fry was a better recruiter, while Ferentz/Doyle develop players better.

Any opinions or statistics out there that can shed some light?

I suppose at the end of the day you look at results. Because no matter how good of a coach you are, you are only as good as your talent on the field.

Ferentz has finished in the top 10 4 times in his tenure with one BCS level bowl victory, in a day and age of the 85 scholarship limit.

Fry went to 3 Rose Bowls, but getting to a Rose Bowl was a bit easier in that era compared to now. Example Fry's first team went to the Rose Bowl with an 8-3 record with losses to Minnesota and ISU. No way a 2 conference loss big ten team goes to the rose bowl today.

Fry finished ranked #10 twice in the AP. No final finishes in the top 10 for his entire Iowa career.

Finally, Fry didn't have to deal with Penn State for the majority of his career, and NW and ISU were horrible programs for the majority of his time at iowa.

Ferentz is much better at identifying talent and developing it. He has put way more players in the NFL.

Fry was a better game day coach. Give Fry the same talent and we would see far far less losses to inferior opponents.

Fry was smart enough to have Bill Snyder, who is/was the best coach of the three, as his O coordinator while Kirk holds on to KOK, a guy who no one else would even take for free.

Ferentz could be a great coach if he would hire a good O coordinator and then just get out of his way.

I suppose at the end of the day you look at results. Because no matter how good of a coach you are, you are only as good as your talent on the field.

Ferentz has finished in the top 10 4 times in his tenure with one BCS level bowl victory, in a day and age of the 85 scholarship limit.

Fry went to 3 Rose Bowls, but getting to a Rose Bowl was a bit easier in that era compared to now. Example Fry's first team went to the Rose Bowl with an 8-3 record with losses to Minnesota and ISU. No way a 2 conference loss big ten team goes to the rose bowl today.

Fry finished ranked #10 twice in the AP. No final finishes in the top 10 for his entire Iowa career.

Finally, Fry didn't have to deal with Penn State for the majority of his career, and NW and ISU were horrible programs for the majority of his time at iowa.
Wisco JUST WENT with two conf. losses.

Ferentz is much better at identifying talent and developing it. He has put way more players in the NFL. Fry was a better game day coach. Give Fry the same talent and we would see far far less losses to inferior opponents. Fry was smart enough to have Bill Snyder, who is/was the best coach of the three, as his O coordinator while Kirk holds on to KOK, a guy who no one else would even take for free. Ferentz could be a great coach if he would hire a good O coordinator and then just get out of his way.
. Maybe Kirk will go after the LSU offensive coordinator...the option didn't work the first 10 times, let's run it 10 more and maybe we can get a first down? maybe kok isn't so bad after all...

. Maybe Kirk will go after the LSU offensive coordinator...the option didn't work the first 10 times, let's run it 10 more and maybe we can get a first down? maybe kok isn't so bad after all...

First, Kirk isn't going after anyone, ever.

Second, that comparison based on one game is (fill in the blank) incredibly stupid.

First, Kirk isn't going after anyone, ever.

Second, that comparison based on one game is (fill in the blank) incredibly stupid.

Its only incredibly stupid because the larger majority of the “outspoken” critics on here move thru their sports life with a myopic perspective that Iowa, KF & KOK is somehow a vacuum for poor coaching, offense, etc….

I literally got on this board today because I knew what I’d find……and this is one of those “finds”. I have for months now pointed out how LSU fans are routinely chastising Les Miles and wish he’d leave, and THAT is incredibly stupid. Ironically just like many of our guys…….

For the record for those that just don’t know….LSU was 75th in total offense this year. Yet somehow were 12th in points scored.

On a side note…….fans as a general rule, ruin sports for me. Many are clueless, bitter, and myopic and honestly just mind numbing to talk to.

Last edited:
It seems to me that Fry recruited from where he was from- the south. Ferentz tends to look to Penn area and east coast. Ferentz needs to hire a strong southern DC who can recruit against SEC.

It seems to me that Fry recruited from where he was from- the south. Ferentz tends to look to Penn area and east coast. Ferentz needs to hire a strong southern DC who can recruit against SEC.

Seriously, where do people pull this crap from. Our defensive recruiting and development have hardly been problematic under Ferentz.

Ferentz is much better at identifying talent and developing it. He has put way more players in the NFL.

Fry was a better game day coach. Give Fry the same talent and we would see far far less losses to inferior opponents.

Fry was smart enough to have Bill Snyder, who is/was the best coach of the three, as his O coordinator while Kirk holds on to KOK, a guy who no one else would even take for free.

Ferentz could be a great coach if he would hire a good O coordinator and then just get out of his way.

Another show of short perspective……….you need to roll back thru Fry’s record at Iowa….

You’ll find a really, really good 9-3 team that lost to 4-7 Tulsa, back when they just weren’t any good for years.

In 1986 a 9-3 team lost to a 4-7 Illinois that lost to Michigan 69-13!

In 1984 we were 8-4-1 with one loss to 4-7 Minne who had lost 4 games in a row until Iowa came to town.

In 1982 we were 8-4 yet lost to 3-8 Purdue. That also doesn’t count the myriad of losses to 5-6, 6-5 type teams or the fact that we just flat got outclassed many times. Rarely does that happen with KF.

So yet again we have evidence of people whose opinions come with very little perspective or insight to back it up.

Last edited:

Fry recruited heavily in Jersey and New York...Harmon boys, Vernon Rollins, etc, etc....

And KF has recruited a ton of guys from Florida and Texas, yet he also recruits in Ohio, Michigan, etc. Places HF did not fare well in.

I think you are right on, RnRF.

There's no room for improvement? Sounds sensible to me!

I'll take your lack of substance of a response as raising the white flag on this lunacy. I see you started another thread on the topic, so I'll digress here and watch your suggestion go down in flames over there.

Latest posts