Frost will be back next year (with major staff changes)

You are not suggesting never making changes? Now is not the time and Kirk Ferentz should not be fired. He has done overall a great job at Iowa, but it wouldn't be a bad time for him to retire. He can't coach forever
On the other hand BF has done a horrible job as OC turning Iowa into one of the worst offensive teams in the country and not just this year.
He should be let go after this year ends!!

Their offense devolved into a 1 man show. It makes sense to me. No need to blow up the whole program. I think this is the right move. It worked at Michigan and it makes sense to try it there too. Avoid the $20M buy out and let him build on the success that they've had (how they play).0

If they do to Iowa what Wisconsin did to Iowa it won't surprise me.

I read an article on ESPN this AM:

And this quote really struck me, as in, does the sportswriter know anything about Nebby football over the years??:

"LINCOLN, Neb. -- Scott Frost has not won enough games at Nebraska. He knows that. Athletic director Trev Alberts knows that. Everybody in Nebraska knows that.

While a 15-27 record in four years would be enough to get a coach fired at nearly any big-time program in America, Nebraska prides itself on not being like everyone else."

I read an article on ESPN this AM:

And this quote really struck me, as in, does the sportswriter know anything about Nebby football over the years??:

"LINCOLN, Neb. -- Scott Frost has not won enough games at Nebraska. He knows that. Athletic director Trev Alberts knows that. Everybody in Nebraska knows that.

While a 15-27 record in four years would be enough to get a coach fired at nearly any big-time program in America, Nebraska prides itself on not being like everyone else."

Nebraska prides itself on the sellout streak. Football is a distant second.

Some say the firing of the assistants was Alberts doing... I can't see that being him forcing Frosts hand to do that. That seems like a Frost throwing them all under the bus kind of move like he does his players all the time. That falls right in line with Frosts way of doing things.

Frost is just lucky they had the change at AD both with the timing of it and Alberts getting the gig. Otherwise this season woulda been it for him. This whole restructuring of his deal was Alberts way of putting Frost on the clock in a public way. And if he wanted to keep his gig long term Alberts pretty much had to do something be it this or getting rid of him all together.

It sure is crazy over there that's all I know. It'll be interesting to see how this season ends and next one goes for them.

Some say the firing of the assistants was Alberts doing... I can't see that being him forcing Frosts hand to do that. That seems like a Frost throwing them all under the bus kind of move like he does his players all the time. That falls right in line with Frosts way of doing things.

Frost is just lucky they had the change at AD both with the timing of it and Alberts getting the gig. Otherwise this season woulda been it for him. This whole restructuring of his deal was Alberts way of putting Frost on the clock in a public way. And if he wanted to keep his gig long term Alberts pretty much had to do something be it this or getting rid of him all together.

It sure is crazy over there that's all I know. It'll be interesting to see how this season ends and next one goes for them.

I bet it ends with a sellout!!!!

A really top coach would be able to win half of these very close games and have a more disciplined staff and players on game day. The turnovers and stupid penalties, like Maryland, just show a lack of detail, etc. Back in the day I pulled for Nebraska when they played southern teams like Bama in bowl games. But I certainly do not pull for them to get out of the Big 10 gutter.

This was about two things:

1. Alberts did not want to fire the prodical son, and he did not have to. He inherited him. Most fans are willing to give Frost a bit more time because he is homegrown, and as Fry has said at nauseum, hiring a new coach is a crap shoot at best. Why make a really controversial decision when your dumb fan base isn't grabbing pitchforks and torches? Let it ride for a year while you as the AD are still in the honeymooon phase.

2. Contract leverage. If they fired Frost now, he is owed 20 mill. Contrary to popular belief, Nebraska is not as flush with cash as other Big Ten schools or have a long list of donors willing to pony up the cash. Could they do it? Sure. But, they already hold the title as the second biggest dead money coaches salary in the country. This would put them at the top of the list. His restructured deal lowers his salary and makes his buyout next year a reasonably 7.5 mill.

Frost gets a one-year audition to keep his job. The line is set at 6 wins. Oh how the mighty have fallen......

This was about two things:

1. Alberts did not want to fire the prodical son, and he did not have to. He inherited him. Most fans are willing to give Frost a bit more time because he is homegrown, and as Fry has said at nauseum, hiring a new coach is a crap shoot at best. Why make a really controversial decision when your dumb fan base isn't grabbing pitchforks and torches? Let it ride for a year while you as the AD are still in the honeymooon phase.

2. Contract leverage. If they fired Frost now, he is owed 20 mill. Contrary to popular belief, Nebraska is not as flush with cash as other Big Ten schools or have a long list of donors willing to pony up the cash. Could they do it? Sure. But, they already hold the title as the second biggest dead money coaches salary in the country. This would put them at the top of the list. His restructured deal lowers his salary and makes his buyout next year a reasonably 7.5 mill.

Frost gets a one-year audition to keep his job. The line is set at 6 wins. Oh how the mighty have fallen......
This was absolutely a public way of putting him on the clock. So it will be very interesting to see where the line in the sand is. You might be right maybe bowl eligibility is the bar now... To me that is what's funny. 5 yrs in that that would be the line of demarcation is hilarious.

That said maybe 7 or even if they got 8 wins next yr wouldn't be enough. Sure wasn't for previous coaches. Hell if I know but man that train wreck is fun to watch from here

One thing he has going for him is that the schedule sets up a little nicer for Nebraska in 2022.

@ Northwestern (in Dublin)
vs. North Dakota
vs. Georgia Southern
vs. Oklahoma (site TBD)
@ Rutgers
vs. Indiana
@ Michigan
vs. Minnesota
@ Wisconsin
vs. Purdue
vs. Illinois
@ Iowa

Crossovers are pretty tame save for the Michigan game, who they played tough this year...I have no idea what they have coming back, but if 6 wins/bowl eligibility is indeed the mark, it seems reachable. Ish.

If Frosty makes a bowl next year, I think he is safe. I think a huge thing driving this manure train is that for over 20 years now Nebbie has fired coaches that were winning and gotten worse. Starting over with a new coach means a couple more years of crap football. I find it hard to believe that Trev gives him another year, he improves and gets to a bowl, and then they fire because he is not meeting Nebraska standards. Doesn't add up. If he wins 6, they can tout progress and momentum and talk about 8-9 the next year. I think 6 is the number. 5 and he gone.

One thing he has going for him is that the schedule sets up a little nicer for Nebraska in 2022.

@ Northwestern (in Dublin)
vs. North Dakota
vs. Georgia Southern
vs. Oklahoma (site TBD)
@ Rutgers
vs. Indiana
@ Michigan
vs. Minnesota
@ Wisconsin
vs. Purdue
vs. Illinois
@ Iowa

Crossovers are pretty tame save for the Michigan game, who they played tough this year...I have no idea what they have coming back, but if 6 wins/bowl eligibility is indeed the mark, it seems reachable. Ish.
True, but expect to see a huge talent drain to go with this. There are a number of super seniors and guys that are likely to jump for the draft on D. That D has some legit NFL talent on it, and a lot of it won't be coming back next year.

On offense, you will be breaking in an entirely new coaching staff, and everyone expects Martinez to call it a career or take a year elsewhere. The back-up has been so underwhelming that he has not even gotten a sniff despite Martinez throwing picks like a monkey throws shit at kids at the zoo, and having a broken jaw.

This will be Frost's worst recruiting class, by far. He does not have a ton of room for transfers. And, I would expect some high profile transfers out once again this season (its happened every other year).

In sum, Nebbie's schedule is quite a bit easier. I agree. But, they will be a less talented team coming off a 3 or 4 win season. 6 wins is no guaranty.

Why didn't Frost refuse and take the $20 million? Man, Alberts worked him over hard. I don't understand why Frost went along with this deal. Regardless of hits to his reputation, perceptions of his ability to coach, damage to be a head coach candidate in the near future, standing in Husker lore, etc...giving back guaranteed money was the one thing he shouldn't do. His reputation may be in worse shape a year from now, and he'll also be millions out of pocket. Did he not have any legal representation on this?

Why didn't Frost refuse and take the $20 million? Man, Alberts worked him over hard. I don't understand why Frost went along with this deal. Regardless of hits to his reputation, perceptions of his ability to coach, damage to be a head coach candidate in the near future, standing in Husker lore, etc...giving back guaranteed money was the one thing he shouldn't do. His reputation may be in worse shape a year from now, and he'll also be millions out of pocket. Did he not have any legal representation on this?
His best chance at long term money is to stay at Nebraska, win, and get to a new contract in a few years.

Option 1: He could get fired and take 20 mill and then have to be a coordinator or low level HC for a mill a year for the rest of his career.

Option 2: He restructures. If he loses again and gets fired, he has 11.5 million in the bank (4 mill in salary and 7.5mill buyout). Not too shabby. If he turns things around and starts winning, he could make 50 million over the next decade.

He is betting on himself.

Never underestimate the egos of these guys.

he is 46 years old. Perhaps the $12.5M difference was worth giving in given how many years he has left and future earnings potential. Personally, I would take the full 20MM, but then again, I am in my mid 60's......

A really top coach would be able to win half of these very close games and have a more disciplined staff and players on game day. The turnovers and stupid penalties, like Maryland, just show a lack of detail, etc. Back in the day I pulled for Nebraska when they played southern teams like Bama in bowl games. But I certainly do not pull for them to get out of the Big 10 gutter.
I think this is a very reasonable take. I've followed Nebraska from afar (with a clothespin on my nose) this year, sounds like you have too.

1. They've played a tough schedule
2. They've got some talent
3. You can't say that, on the whole, they've played poorly
4. They have had a lot of close losses

If that ^^^ was the total picture, if I were a Fusker fan (or admin), I am frustrated but also thinking that next year could easily deliver much different (i.e. better) results.

But there is a very smelly observation #5 to add:

5. They F up ALL THE TIME

It's insane. Saying "I've never seen anything like it" would probably be crossing the line into hyperbole, but not by much. It's a pattern and definitely not "luck", it's coaching. It's a bad look. The AD needing to coerce you into hiring new assistants is then a doubly bad look.

Also, mass firing assistants is not a free lunch, especially at the college level. In the NFL, maybe you can probably find some successful examples to point to but, in the college game, assistants are just so critical in the recruiting game that the idea of firing a bunch of them gives me pause.

Obviously, F Nebraska, I hope this all plays out in the worst way possible for them. I'm just attempting to view the situation through a semi-objective lens for a few moments.

I suspect they are hanging onto the hope that Frost is the next big thing. I really don't think he is (newsflash), but they've dug themselves into a real hole with their knee jerk behavior over the last 20 years.

On Solich, I don't know what I think exactly. He is a very good football coach, but not at a Tom Osborne level. 20/20 hindsight, you swallow your pride, keep that guy, and he becomes a KF like figure that keeps the program healthy for a couple decades running. But he's not "elite". For Iowa, dealing with sub-elite performance is one thing (we haven't been elite since the early 60s and even that was fleeting). But Nebraska was coming off 3 national championships in 4 years. That kinda shit tends to go to your head and is all to easy to forget it took Osborne 20 years (and a lot of near misses) to get to that point. So, they swung the axe. Really dumb in hindsight, but I have a hard time getting to a place where I am really confident that I too wouldn't have been a bit swept up in the frenzy.

Pelini is the one I think they should really be kicking themselves on.

I'd like to know how many fans would like to see Frost fired. It may be humiliating to him and Nebraska, but they might get someone in there that can make them into a Minnesota, Purdue, ISU, etc. Not great, but with 6-8 games regularly.

Having said that, the fans on their message boards fell like the top candidates would be Bob Stoops, Chris Peterson, Luke Fickell, and, Matt Campbell. They'd jump at the chance to go to a program like NU (they're opinion, not mine).

I'm not gonna lie, I'd take that job in a heartbeat. Then again, I'm a HS coach that's looking for a raise. ;)