From everywhere, Dickerson arrives in Iowa

Then why would he be selected to the NCAA college "all star team" that competed internationally? His stats were pretty good in those games too BTW

I could be way off but I think his success could have to do with playing with guys who don't know him or his game.

Play him with a small or no scouting report and there's no doubt he can catch you off guard.

Big ten teams that know his game make sure they limit transition opps and dare him to take jump shot and don't bail him out around the basket by fouling him and sending him to the line. Teams that can do these things make it tough for him to score.

I could be wrong but that's how I see it.

But it won't be "that team" without Marble.

Why not envision the team that played Tennessee where Peter Jok and Woodbury were the two best players for iowa?

There will be allot of things that are different from last years team.

Or envision our team without Marble playing an MSU team without Harris, Payne, and Appling.

Jok can create and score. He is going to be a key player, along with Dickerson. Woodbury needs to dominate inside.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

This, but the quality of the feeds needs to improve, too. Half the reason we didn't feed the post more last year is because few players were actually good at it.

Which is a concept that totally baffles me for something so rudimentary.

I feel like the teaching and emphasis has got to be lacking, I can't recall a single player under Tom Davis not being able to make simple entry passes.

In fact I've never seen any team not be able to.

This team in general has been horrible at passing outside of Ogelsby and Woodbury.

I could be way off but I think his success could have to do with playing with guys who don't know him or his game.

Play him with a small or no scouting report and there's no doubt he can catch you off guard.

Big ten teams that know his game make sure they limit transition opps and dare him to take jump shot and don't bail him out around the basket by fouling him and sending him to the line. Teams that can do these things make it tough for him to score.

I could be wrong but that's how I see it.

You will find out that it is all mental. As long as AW is playing with confidence he is a solid talent. He was playing with confidence early on with against the international teams and playing well. He got into a funk later in the year and never snapped out of it.

I re-watched the MSU loss at Carver this morning on BTN ....ouch.

It was a game that Iowa went the last 15 minutes of regulation and OT without a single fg.
MSU stopped our running game cold, and the Hawks could only score by going to the line, where they missed 13 free throws.

What I saw on offense was some decent ball movement, around the perimeter, but they could not make a shot, and when they did catch the ball cutting to the bucket , they got fouled.

Devyn made some nice passes to Zach, Mel and Gabe, but they could not finish at the hoop...MSU guys blocked their shots from behind....to slow on the uptake.

I was envisioning that team without Devyn, vs the MSU team which was missing Dawson and Payne already, and I see problems.

But, maybe we will shoot free throws much better( Mikey G missed one in the last 30 seconds that would have won the game in regulation) , and shoot the jumpers better....if we can get open ones.

I think this team will have to fight for the #8 seed in the league, and to get on the bubble.

And despite not scoring for 15 minutes in regulation and missing 13 free throws, we took them into OT....

Amazing, I say.....

:rolleyes:

This, but the quality of the feeds needs to improve, too. Half the reason we didn't feed the post more last year is because few players were actually good at it.

This. There's a lot more to feeding the post than just lobbing the ball to some guy down on the block. The passer has to be in the proper position to have the proper angle to make the pass. The passer has to put the pass away from the defender. The passer has to put the right velocity on the ball; too much and the post player can't handle it cleanly, too little and it gets picked off. The passer then has to make himself available for an immediate return pass if his man turns to double team.

Yeah, lots more than just tossing and hoping, which is what happens a lot at the college level EVERYWHERE.

This. There's a lot more to feeding the post than just lobbing the ball to some guy down on the block. The passer has to be in the proper position to have the proper angle to make the pass. The passer has to put the pass away from the defender. The passer has to put the right velocity on the ball; too much and the post player can't handle it cleanly, too little and it gets picked off. The passer then has to make himself available for an immediate return pass if his man turns to double team.

Yeah, lots more than just tossing and hoping, which is what happens a lot at the college level EVERYWHERE.

Another fundamental that needs work is setting and utilizing picks and screens. The last half of the season we looked, at times, like the nightly Globetrotters opponent.

Latest posts