From cbs sports-where Iowa's 2015 draft prospects rank at their positions.

Montanahawk

Brandon Scherff #2 OT
Carl Davis #3 DT
John Lowdermilk #17 SS
Ray Hamilton #38 TE Obviously, he has a great opportunity to move up.
Damon Bullock RB #72
Weisman FB #7
Mike Hardy #55 DE
LTP #52 DT
KMM #36 WR
Q. Alston #63 ILB

I would think Hamilton will move up and get drafted somewhere late. Lowdermilk looks like a borderline draftee, but my guess is a UDFA. The standouts are Scherff as a near lock first round pick and Davis not too far behind him.

Weisman and LTP look like borderline draftees. Alston could be a guy who has a big year at MLB and ends up getting drafted. Hard to say what Donnal will do, but he's another guy who could end up in the draft or more likely as a UDFA with a strong senior year.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/OT

Last edited:
Weisman is a dinosaur in the NFL these days. Rarely anybody uses a fullback and runningbacks are a dime a dozen. Although if the league starts trending to faster, smaller defenses to combat the high powered pass offenses a big lug RB like MW might be an asset.

Not a shot at Davis at all, but amazed that he's rated that highly.

First time I knew Davis was something special was when they interviewed a PSU lineman and asked about his toughest matcup and he said Davis and I think this would have been Davis' sophomore year.

Last year he dang near made it impossible for other teams to run against the Iowa D.

I'm not suprised by this... I think he has more potential at the NFL level than Clayborn by far. Two different players, with Carl playing inside but just my opinion.

Weisman is a dinosaur in the NFL these days. Rarely anybody uses a fullback and runningbacks are a dime a dozen. Although if the league starts trending to faster, smaller defenses to combat the high powered pass offenses a big lug RB like MW might be an asset.
The best defenses in the league now are big and fast. Seattle. That's the wave of the future. Getting guys that could be great wrs/tes and making them safeties and cbs. FB is rarely used, but still a position so Weisman will need to be a major special teams contributor.

The best defenses in the league now are big and fast. Seattle. That's the wave of the future. Getting guys that could be great wrs/tes and making them safeties and cbs. FB is rarely used, but still a position so Weisman will need to be a major special teams contributor.

I think his point is that these things are cyclical. Offenses are all ground and pound? Defenses get bigger and stronger to stop them. Offenses spread out the big defenses? Defenses get faster and smaller. In the next few years, it will roll back because defenses will have a hell of a time tackling big lugs with 6 CBs on the field.

Carlos Hyde is going to be a monster in a few years because of that.

I would not be surprised to see Alston higher on the list and Donnal make the list by the end of the season.

An NFL FB needs to be an excellent blocker. We haven't seen any evidence of that in Weisman.

Looks like a great bunch for the Hawkeyes, could put us back up there in regards to the number of players in the NFL.

I think his point is that these things are cyclical. Offenses are all ground and pound? Defenses get bigger and stronger to stop them. Offenses spread out the big defenses? Defenses get faster and smaller. In the next few years, it will roll back because defenses will have a hell of a time tackling big lugs with 6 CBs on the field.

Carlos Hyde is going to be a monster in a few years because of that.

And not everyone is going to be able to have a defense like Seattle's. Which is good for guys like Weisman. Seattle's defense is about as close to the perfect beast as you can possibly get. Big, fast, stop the run (whether your backs are big or small), stop the pass. They're right there with the old Ravens and Bucs defenses in terms of dominance, but they do it in a different way.

Carlos Hyde is going to be a monster in a few years because of that.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, you need a guy to close out games, be able to pass block and catch passes out of the backfield, that is it. You will be able to find guys that do one, two or even all three all over the place. I do not think that is changing anytime soon. Once Adrian Petersens' skills start to diminish the days of the old school, pure runningback, will probably be gone for a loooong time.

Carlos Hyde is going to be a monster in a few years because of that.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, you need a guy to close out games, be able to pass block and catch passes out of the backfield, that is it. You will be able to find guys that do one, two or even all three all over the place. I do not think that is changing anytime soon. Once Adrian Petersens' skills start to diminish the days of the old school, pure runningback, will probably be gone for a loooong time.

This. Shady McCoy is the prototype for the future's superstar running backs. Some guys might do some of what he does (Reggie Bush is a perfect example of this), and they'll be solid contributors in the league, but not superstars (like Bush). McCoy is the total package and excels in all three areas you just mentioned.

I think the Iowa defense might explode this year...and a large part of that is going to be Carl Davis. The dude is insane, and probably the best "physical" NFL DL prospect Iowa has had under Ferentz.

He looks the part of an NFL Dlineman.

Would LTPs ranking at DT put him around dead last for senior defensive tackles? I don't know how many of the 200 or so starters are actually seniors this year.

Since when did A&M turn into a powerhouse for offensive linemen? Joeckel goes #2 last year, Matthews goes #6 this year and they have another tackle slotted as next year's top prospect?

Latest posts