From Carver Notes

SpecialKHawk

These are some of my thoughts having attended the game in person....

The big take away is we got handled by a better team with better players that is also mentally tougher. That is the true analysis.

Here are some odds and ends that I took away from the game.

# 1 Last Year's collapse was not Marble
I think those who were so foolish to blame Devin Marble for last year's collapse can know see that the supporting cast has major issues and Dev just could not do it all by himself all the time last year, especially when teams took away the fast break-easy baskets from our offense. Dev was the one true baller we had last year. The problem truly was we needed more than one. We lack ballers this year big time.

# 2 Shooting continues to be a program problem
We simply miss way too many open and good looks from the 3 and from 2. It is stunning the number of layups and potential and 1's that we miss with a very minor amount of contact from our opponents. From the perimeter we just cannot stroke the wide open 3's to keep us in games or help build a lead against good teams. This is not only a problem this season but a recurring problem from last couple of seasons. We had a lot of good looks in the first half that we missed. We absolutely need several knock down shooters.

# 3 Veteran players wilt under pressure
It was alarming to me the body language of the entire starting 5 to begin the second half. I thought we were in trouble. Our kids were not negative, but looked absolutely defeated coming out of halftime. We were down only 5 points but they looked as if we were down 20+ from the very start of the second half. That deficit came to fruition over the next 4 minutes. There's just something wrong confidence wise with some of these guys and it may stem from not having strong talent and athleticism (and they know it).

# 4 Hidden fundamentals
I see too many missing fundamentals that should be easy and routine (not just tonight) like boxing out on a shot. How many times did a single ISU player run in among 3 of our guys and come out with a rebound? Our guys rely on athleticism to rebound instead of putting a body on our opponent to wall them off the boards. How about the bounce pass entry to feed the post? There are others missing.

# 5 Time to shift playing time to the future
It might be wise to give extended minutes to Jok, Uhl, Dickerson (when healthly) and maybe Ellenson.

Jok had a pretty solid game and does not seem to wilt under pressure offensively like some others on the team. I think he needs to start at the 2 guard.

Uhl has some talent and needs to further develop his overall game which minutes may really help. He is starting to make some plays. If he can develop his 3 point shot he will be a strong contributor. Getting him ready for next year is huge.

Dickerson - let's see what we can get from him with major minutes. We have to live with some mistakes for a period of time but he has quickness we do not have from the other guards.

Ellenson although athletically challenged looks like he might actually be able to stroke the 3 ball and is not overwhelmed by the moment. We really, really need to make teams pay for sagging into the paint so if Ellenson can become a more reliable shooter than Olgesby who has proven he is not then let's play him instead in spots. Forget Olgesby as he cannot hit a shot when we really need it outside of a single game or two each season. That's not enough. With 2 minutes left in the game and no pressure then he knocks down a 3 and a 2 tonight. Go figure! He's a great kid but not mentally tough. Let's see what we can get from Ellenson in a 3 point shooting role.

Next year you add 4 guys who I think will be the first true talent upgrade Fran will have brought in to date and combine this with Jok, Uhl and Dickerson along with Utoff. If we can get these 3-4 guys playing well this year that may really spring board us for next year.

Frans defensive game plan was beyond awful and he didn't make one change. Clones putting up 90 at Carver. This one is all on Fran.

It may be all on Fran but from my seat I saw a difference in athleticism and shooting. Not sure how you adjust in game to that.

The starting 5 just quit after it was apparent they could not score in the opening minutes. No defensive adjustment would have worked. Soft mindset for some of the starters because they quit. If anything I would have put Jok & Uhl in after the first time out he took to provide some energy.

The big take away is we got handled by a better team with better players that is also mentally tougher. That is the true analysis.

I think those who were so foolish to blame Devin Marble for last year's collapse can know see that the supporting cast has major issues and Dev just could not do it all by himself all the time last year, especially when teams took away the fast break-easy baskets from our offense. Dev was the one true baller we had last year. The problem truly was we needed more than one. We lack ballers this year big time.

We simply miss way too many open and good looks from the 3 and from 2. It is stunning the number of layups and potential and 1's that we miss with a very minor amount of contact from our opponents. From the perimeter we just cannot stroke the wide open 3's to keep us in games or help build a lead against good teams. This is not only a problem this season but a recurring problem from last couple of seasons. We had a lot of good looks in the first half that we missed. We absolutely need several knock down shooters.

It was alarming to me the body language of the entire starting 5 to begin the second half. I thought we were in trouble. Our kids were not negative, but looked absolutely defeated coming out of halftime. We were down only 5 points but they looked as if we were down 20+ from the very start of the second half. That deficit came to fruition over the next 4 minutes. There's just something wrong confidence wise with some of these guys and it may stem from not having strong talent and athleticism (and they know it).

# 4 Hidden fundamentals
I see too many missing fundamentals that should be easy and routine (not just tonight) like boxing out on a shot. How many times did a single ISU player run in among 3 of our guys and come out with a rebound? Our guys rely on athleticism to rebound instead of putting a body on our opponent to wall them off the boards. How about the bounce pass entry to feed the post? There are others missing.

It might be wise to give extended minutes to Jok, Uhl, Dickerson (when healthly) and maybe Ellenson.

Jok had a pretty solid game and does not seem to wilt under pressure offensively like some others on the team. I think he needs to start at the 2 guard.

Uhl has some talent and needs to further develop his overall game which minutes may really help. He is starting to make some plays. If he can develop his 3 point shot he will be a strong contributor. Getting him ready for next year is huge.

Dickerson - let's see what we can get from him with major minutes. We have to live with some mistakes for a period of time but he has quickness we do not have from the other guards.

Ellenson although athletically challenged looks like he might actually be able to stroke the 3 ball and is not overwhelmed by the moment. We really, really need to make teams pay for sagging into the paint so if Ellenson can become a more reliable shooter than Olgesby who has proven he is not then let's play him instead in spots. Forget Olgesby as he cannot hit a shot when we really need it outside of a single game or two each season. That's not enough. With 2 minutes left in the game and no pressure then he knocks down a 3 and a 2 tonight. Go figure! He's a great kid but not mentally tough. Let's see what we can get from Ellenson in a 3 point shooting role.

Next year you add 4 guys who I think will be the first true talent upgrade Fran will have brought in to date and combine this with Jok, Uhl and Dickerson along with Utoff. If we can get these 3-4 guys playing well this year that may really spring board us for next year.

You hit the nail on the head.

It's sad that we haven't even started conference play and we're already talking about next year. Unless we can start hitting our shots, nothing else really matters. When we're playing a quality opponent, when the other team shoots the ball I assume it's going in... When we shoot the ball, I'm assuming it's not. Simple as that, and that's a problem! Duh, right?

I initially thought last year's issues late in the season were RDM, but after last night I'd have to say it's coaching. I agree with the assessment of no adjustments. I think Fran could of slowed down the bloodbath before it got out of hand.

I think this still a fringe NCAA team. We don't matchup up well with teams that push tempo and can score.

But this team is good with half court defense. Against slower tempo teams and less offensively potent teams, I think we will be fine. The games will be close and come down to the fibal minutes like UNC and Syracuse. We've also beat bad teams this year pretty consistently.

I initially thought last year's issues late in the season were RDM, but after last night I'd have to say it's coaching. I agree with the assessment of no adjustments. I think Fran could of slowed down the bloodbath before it got out of hand.

He called 2 timeouts when he rarely calls 1. He also brought in other players. What else could he have done to slow the bloodbath?

# 4 Hidden fundamentals

Great post! I agree about that Ellenson kid. He appears to be more of a pure shooter than Olgesby at the moment. He at least seems to be able to make a 3 pointer where I can't remember the last meaninful 3 Olgesby hit not in garabage time.

I find it troubling the team quit on defense as Iowa might as well have stayed down on the offensive end with how easy ISU drove the ball and how open they were from the perimeter. The game was over in the first 4 minutes of the 2nd half. Back-court needs a serious upgrade along with finding more athletic and reliable shooters. Hopefully this next class coming up will do that.

I never could figure out why some fans thought the only NBA player on our roster was the problem last year. Our problem was that we only had one Marble...we need three.

I never could figure out why some fans thought the only NBA player on our roster was the problem last year. Our problem was that we only had one Marble...we need three.

Agree 100% and I found it very sad the critics that came out of the woodwork. Marble brought it and improved his game every season. He should go down as one of the better ball players we had in the last 10 years.

The potential ballers we might have on this team are Jok and Uhl. This is why they need to play and play a lot. Jok has no conscious as is not afraid of the moment. Liability on defense sure but right now we need offense, especially from the perimeter. Uhl has an interesting skill set and length. He is young but he reminds me of where Marble was at his first year. He has a chance to take a big step next year with playing time this year just as Marble did.

Good post but I cant agree about next year. We lose White who is the only solid player we have. I like Uhl but he's a couple years away and I really think Dickerson is in over his head. We may have 4 good players coming in but not 4 McDonalds players. Not likely any of them will be difference makers.
With the class coming in and the returning players coached by McCaffrey I dont see them as a tournament quality team. I hate to think of it but i see next year to be Fran's last. With all the pressure Barta is getting from fans on the football side I dont see much patience for losing basketball.

Good post but I cant agree about next year. We lose White who is the only solid player we have. I like Uhl but he's a couple years away and I really think Dickerson is in over his head. We may have 4 good players coming in but not 4 McDonalds players. Not likely any of them will be difference makers.
With the class coming in and the returning players coached by McCaffrey I dont see them as a tournament quality team. I hate to think of it but i see next year to be Fran's last. With all the pressure Barta is getting from fans on the football side I dont see much patience for losing basketball.

Can we possibly afford turning over 2 coaches each of which will require some coin to buy out? KF much more but what is Fran's buyout on 4-5 years? This does not include the new cost of playing poker when you hire the replacements.

I am not saying you are wrong with the premise but the top 2 programs in a short time frame is going to cost big, big bucks with no certainties.

You do realize that a huge part of the 58 points they had in the second half is because we can't hide defensive liabilities like Jok and Ellingson, not even in a zone defense. Yeah, they can shoot; I'm not arguing that point. But like I've said all along, they kill us on the defensive end. They played a combined 30 minutes. Most of that was in the second half, when we played like we had to shoot our way back into the game. What we needed were defensive stops followed by careful high-percentage shots - that's what we are decent at this year. Without Marble, we are not nearly as good at the uptempo game. We should concentrate on what we do well instead of trying to do what we can't.

Can we possibly afford turning over 2 coaches each of which will require some coin to buy out? KF much more but what is Fran's buyout on 4-5 years? This does not include the new cost of playing poker when you hire the replacements.

I am not saying you are wrong with the premise but the top 2 programs in a short time frame is going to cost big, big bucks with no certainties.

No need to worry about it... neither of these coaches are going anywhere any time soon.

I think this still a fringe NCAA team. We don't matchup up well with teams that push tempo and can score.

But this team is good with half court defense. Against slower tempo teams and less offensively potent teams, I think we will be fine. The games will be close and come down to the fibal minutes like UNC and Syracuse. We've also beat bad teams this year pretty consistently.

Don't match up well with teams that push tempo and can score. HMMMMMMM??? Are you talking about football or basketball?? Exact same thing and same problem i am afraid. Only difference is i think Fran will play the better player.

You do realize that a huge part of the 58 points they had in the second half is because we can't hide defensive liabilities like Jok and Ellingson, not even in a zone defense. Yeah, they can shoot; I'm not arguing that point. But like I've said all along, they kill us on the defensive end. They played a combined 30 minutes. Most of that was in the second half, when we played like we had to shoot our way back into the game. What we needed were defensive stops followed by careful high-percentage shots - that's what we are decent at this year. Without Marble, we are not nearly as good at the uptempo game. We should concentrate on what we do well instead of trying to do what we can't.

Jok played almost the entire first half and we held them to 38 points. The 52 points they scored in the second half was mostly due to the starters getting pummeled in the first 5 minutes. Jok has improved his defense from horrific to bad lately and Ellingson's defense was the least of our worries by the time he got in.

I disagree with needing defensive stops followed by careful high percentage shots when we were down 25. At that time we needed them to shoot fast and pray they miss followed by us shooting fast and praying we make. That was the only way we had a chance. And if Oges makes his wide open 3 we would have been down 11 with 4 plus minutes left (also hell might have frozen over). An 11 point comeback with 4 minutes left is doable. The only way we climbed back to that point was playing fast crazy basketball.

Any notes about Carver itself? Did we hang a banner from our NCAA appearance last year? How was the ice cream line?

Latest posts