Freshman Expectations: Mike Gesell

IMO Gesell will be a much better player than Horner. He's a better shooter from 3 and also has a midrange game. Horner's numbers looked good but he was not a very efficient PG. I couldn't be more excited about Mike.

If Zach Johnson is really 5'11, then Gatens is like 6'0. Sports heights just make no sense at all.

Zach has a hat on. I've always thought Gatens was in the 6'3 to 6'4 range but you know they add an inch or two.

Horner is a good comparison. He shot 36% from 3 in his career. I'd take that from Gesell. Gesell doesn't have Horners height but he's quicker. I'm going to say 9ppg, 3 reb, 4.5 assists a game

Gesell doesn't have Horners height but he's quicker.

This is a very good point. There is a SUBSTANTIAL difference in quickness between the two.

An averaging of the freshman numbers for Horner and Oliver would yield:

8.5ppg, 4.4apg, 3.5 rpg, 1.4 spg
I think that is the baseline for Gesell, though. I watched Horner and Oliver play in high school and based on what I have seen of him I think Gesell will be better than either of them.

During that HS All-American game last year, there was a point where Mike was standing next to Yogi Ferrell, the Indiana recruit who is listed at 5'11" and Mike was at least three inches taller than him. Put together better as well. I think the kid is going to have a terrific year. He is perfect for Iowa's offense. He pushes the ball, keeps his head up and finds the open man. He seems to have an offensive game of his own as well. Another valuable piece of the puzzle that is going to get us back to the NCAA's.

Last edited:
I'm going big on Mike.
I know our coach is the king of hyperbole, but something always sticks in my mind about Mike from when he signed: Coach Fran said (to paraphrase), "He's going to be a great pro." He didn't say the same thing about Adam; that was a ballsy, put some pressure on a guy kind of quote.
I'm going with 12 plus, 3 assists, and unfortunately 2 plus turns a game. I'm putting him as the 3rd leading scorer on a team with no one averaging more than 16.

One advantage Gesell will have is that Marble can handle the ball for stretches too. Having an extra ballhandler can relieve a lot of the pressure on a freshman. Hopefully Clemmons will be able to give Iowa 10-12 solid minutes a game to keep Gesell fresh. Some other frosh PGs at Iowa haven't had those kinds of luxuries.

Our uptempo style at Iowa means high assist totals for our pg. Bryce led the league in assists his first year,and was 3rd last year. Mike will get a lot of assists in the transition game. I look for him to average about 8pts and 4 assists. Good numbers.

Horner was a very good player for Iowa,and higher rated coming in than Gesell. If Mike can be as good a player(Horner was a very strong rebounder also) I will be very pleased.

One advantage Gesell will have is that Marble can handle the ball for stretches too. Having an extra ballhandler can relieve a lot of the pressure on a freshman. Hopefully Clemmons will be able to give Iowa 10-12 solid minutes a game to keep Gesell fresh. Some other frosh PGs at Iowa haven't had those kinds of luxuries.

Jeff Horner was one of the most deft passers and ball handlers that the Big Ten has ever seen. He was also a terrific Free throw shooter and pretty decent outside shooter. That being said, Jeff didn't have Big Ten caliber speed and he made up for it with incredible court sense, guts and his being a great coach's son.

Mike Gesell does have Big Ten level speed and quickness. If he can shoot FT's, pass and handle the ball within 80 percent of where JH was, then, Fran should hand the keys to him from day one.

:)

During that HS All-American game last year, there was a point where Mike was standing next to Yogi Ferrell, the Indiana recruit who is listed at 5'11" and Mike was at least three inches taller than him. Put together better as well. I think the kid is going to have a terrific year. He is perfect for Iowa's offense. He pushes the ball, keeps his head up and finds the open man. He seems to have an offensive game of his own as well. Another valuable piece of the puzzle that is going to get us back to the NCAA's.

I belive Mike is 6'2.... I was standing in the doorway watching a PTL game and Mike stood next to me. I am just over 5"11 and he was probably about 2.5 inches taller than me. I was expecting him to be more like 6'0 based on him being listed as 6'2 but I actually think he is listed properly at 6'2. He also has a good build, in that he is not a skinny, weak looking guy.

i have gesell at 23-27 min a game 18-20 at pg and 5-7 min at sg. 8-10 ppg, 4 apg, 2.5 rpg...to me this would be great and really would facilitate a good team. marble will pick up some of the gatens slack along with jo and may should give some help and then white and a resurgence of basabe...mg facilitates a 76+ ppg team average.

I've never met the kid and never seen him play in person or on a video, but based on what I've read on HN, I've got him down for 20.5 ppg, 8 apg, 6 rpg, and 3 bpg.

I bet zack was standing on his toes to be funny because he was standing next to adam. either that or gesell is 5 10

I have a strong feeling that Mike G will surprise even those who think he will do very well. He is a natural basketball player, who is very skillful in many aspects of the game. He can score from afar, midrange and can take it to the hole almost any time he wants to, all the while being more than capable at passing the ball. While playing healthy he will drive this team the way Fran wants. He now has the tools to implement his uptempo game. Every player on the floor will benefit from Mike's game.....

I haven't seen much video concerning his D, but in the tournament in Arizona, his D was very good at times. He is very quick in transition, and has the players to compliment his style. Mel and Bryce had a solid relationship on the court and Mel benefited from BC's passing many times. I believe Mike will have the same effect on the rest of the team. Aaron, Devyn, Mel, McCabe and yes even Adam Woodbury will profit from Mike's floorplay, quickness and passing. The opposition will have to stay with him when he has the ball or he will nail a jump shot from anywhere on the court.....

I believe he averages over ten points a game with 4/5 assists to a pair of turnovers a game. As time goes on he should get at least two steals a game.....

We have a good one who will only get better as the season goes on, and will improve each and every season. One aspect of Fran's expertise, with the able assistance of the staff, is player improvement, barring injuries.....

Literally can't wait for the season to start. I really can't see this team having the problems experienced at the beginning of last season.....

With fingers crossed and rosary beads firmly embedded in my hands, I pray that we are healthy and have no mental difficulties starting the season.....

Once again merely idle speculation and only my opinion that is, of course, biased and one-sided.....

:)

Latest posts