Freeman named starter

The elephant in the room is Patrick. He needs to come off the bench, playing 13-15 minutes a game. Given his production, he shouldn't be 3rd in minutes played.

Let Bowen/Harding battle it out for the point guard spot. Perk/Dix should be getting token minutes at the point guard spot at this point.

The elephant in the room is Patrick. He needs to come off the bench, playing 13-15 minutes a game. Given his production, he shouldn't be 3rd in minutes played.

Let Bowen/Harding battle it out for the point guard spot. Perk/Dix should be getting token minutes at the point guard spot at this point.
Agree, I am unimpressed with Patrick so far.

This team needs more effective minutes from a quality big man and he needs the experience out there against B1G big men to best learn as he won't get that in practice with what we have atm. Don't care who earns or deserves what...this is what needs to happen. :)

This is one of those difficult teams to coach and watch. Two excellent young PGs, need one on the floor during competitive games. The offense just runs better.

I think most of us have Patrick fatigue. Always waiting for the player to reach his recruiting profile. Don't think it is going to happen. His game has deteriorated, he doesn't seem mentally tough. Guessing parents have been too concerned about his health to really encourage maximum effort. His production does not merit the minutes.

Ben, Owen and Payton are a big and pretty good front court-if Pa Sandfort is hitting. Bowen/Harding and Tony/Dix are a good deep backcourt.

Patrick is averaging 10.4 points per game and around 4 rebounds. Almost zero turnovers and a scattering of assists. Very similar to the stats from 27 games last season. I am not going to give up on him. I think he should start, but maybe coming off the bench should be considered. Maybe play him for his steady experience with our second wave of young players? This team, all season, will rely on improvement from young players. We need to make good use of steady, experienced players, like Patrick, Josh Dix, Ben, Perk, Peyton.

Patrick is averaging 10.4 points per game and around 4 rebounds. Almost zero turnovers and a scattering of assists. Very similar to the stats from 27 games last season. I am not going to give up on him. I think he should start, but maybe coming off the bench should be considered. Maybe play him for his steady experience with our second wave of young players? This team, all season, will rely on improvement from young players. We need to make good use of steady, experienced players, like Patrick, Josh Dix, Ben, Perk, Peyton.
Now that was a damn fine post!

Well he is averaging 9.8 pts now. Boosted by 22, 16, and 11 point games against weak sauce North Florida, Ala. State. and North Dakota. He is a tweener that is not big enough play down low and not quick enough or good handling that he can drive inside. Not a real sharp shooter either. His confidence looks about shot and not like he is young enough like he will pack on pounds and be good in a couple of years. This would be a real good time to give up on him. He should come off the bench and let more minutes go to the younger guys with more promise. Patrick will continue to be what he has been a tweener that boosts his numbers against weaker or some smaller squads but can be rendered ineffective going against good quality players. No Garza or Murray boys on this team now and if you ever thought PM was gonna step up and really help fill those shoes I don't know what you were looking at as far as PM goes.

Well he is averaging 9.8 pts now. Boosted by 22, 16, and 11 point games against weak sauce North Florida, Ala. State. and North Dakota. He is a tweener that is not big enough play down low and not quick enough or good handling that he can drive inside. Not a real sharp shooter either. His confidence looks about shot and not like he is young enough like he will pack on pounds and be good in a couple of years. This would be a real good time to give up on him. He should come off the bench and let more minutes go to the younger guys with more promise. Patrick will continue to be what he has been a tweener that boosts his numbers against weaker or some smaller squads but can be rendered ineffective going against good quality players. No Garza or Murray boys on this team now and if you ever thought PM was gonna step up and really help fill those shoes I don't know what you were looking at as far as PM goes.
Guess we will have to disagree.

Talking about PMac, he's obviously struggling with his shot -- both 3s and FTs. No confidence, you can just see it. I got to wondering: if he was on Iowa State's team, do you think he'd be in the starting lineup?
I don't know.

Talking about PMac, he's obviously struggling with his shot -- both 3s and FTs. No confidence, you can just see it. I got to wondering: if he was on Iowa State's team, do you think he'd be in the starting lineup?
I don't know.
Maybe not this year but most years. Then again, Patrick hasn't done any armed robberies or sexually assaulted any girls so there'd be a culture fit problem for Pat.

Last edited:
Why is it that whenever there is criticism of P-MAC, I know there will be a reference to him being the coaches’ son? Some of you clowns are part of the same crew who butchered his older brother, who was only getting minutes because daddy was his coach. And now, one of the dominate asses of the HN crew referenced Lick’s kid as a similar example.
OK. Now begin the attacks on me because I am a positive Hawk fan hopelessly biased. Ignorance is bliss.

I’m not going to single out individual players, but this is what I see:

1. A very, very young team with very little athleticism when compared to the rest of the Big Ten. A middling Michigan team destroyed them. Fran simply is not recruiting enough quick , big ten ready athletes.
2. No real leaders.
3. No defensive intensity (Fran talked about it post game).

This is Fran’s FOURTEENTH year, but he has no Weiskamp, Garza, Bohannon or Murray to lead the team.

Isn’t it time to retire? Seriously, isn’t it? It feels like Iowa is starting over. Why not start over with a young, energetic coach?

I like Fran but what is the up side now? There are a bunch of great young coaches out there, including an excellent young coach at Drake.

Am I missing something? Enlighten me please. It just seems like he is mailing it in now by recruiting average players close to home.

I love it when generalizations like “we lack athleticism“ are used as evidence. It is actually like using “etc.” to prove a point. Ergo, you have no additional evidence. An example of leadership tonight. Harding was closing in on a double double, points and assists. So, Perkins passed up an easy shot for himself and fed Brock for a layup. It ain’t the big things, Chosen.
We are not a good defensive team, you say? That is about the only thing you said that makes any sense.
Chose, how about adding a new song to your playlist. Anything would be an improvement.

I’m not going to single out individual players, but this is what I see:

1. A very, very young team with very little athleticism when compared to the rest of the Big Ten. A middling Michigan team destroyed them. Fran simply is not recruiting enough quick , big ten ready athletes.
2. No real leaders.
3. No defensive intensity (Fran talked about it post game).

This is Fran’s FOURTEENTH year, but he has no Weiskamp, Garza, Bohannon or Murray to lead the team.

Isn’t it time to retire? Seriously, isn’t it? It feels like Iowa is starting over. Why not start over with a young, energetic coach?

I like Fran but what is the up side now? There are a bunch of great young coaches out there, including an excellent young coach at Drake.

Am I missing something? Enlighten me please. It just seems like he is mailing it in now by recruiting average players close to home.
Well, you're missing five consecutive NCAA qualifying years, Iowa was not on the fence in 2020. It's been 30 years since Iowa did that. Iowa won a BTT for the first time in 16 years. I think that represents some idea of how deep Alford/Lickliter drug Iowa

You sound a lot like the attackers of Dr. Davis. Haven't won enough. Need new blood. Change, change, change. How did that work out? Most coaching changes fail.

The freshmen and sophomores are good players, and it looks like very good players with some experience and physical growth. A couple of nice recruits for next season. This is just a weird kind of transition year.

For example, Owen and Krikke are both deep post traditional centers. They each need the low post to be most effective. But, Iowa needs Big Bens scoring while Owen grows into the job. There's the Patrick problem, soon to be solved by the passage of time and replaced by Dembele or Py Sandford. Tony Collins will be hard to replace but Dix has the potential to be a good player. We have two good PGs, one a potential superstar. Who knows what's in the portal.

You don't like the style of ball, don't watch 'cuz you know what you are going to see. Since no one at Iowa, not even Lute or Dr. Davis could stockpile 4 & 5*s. Living through a transition year sucks but it happens.

I love it when generalizations like “we lack athleticism“ are used as evidence. It is actually like using “etc.” to prove a point. Ergo, you have no additional evidence. An example of leadership tonight. Harding was closing in on a double double, points and assists. So, Perkins passed up an easy shot for himself and fed Brock for a layup. It ain’t the big things, Chosen.
We are not a good defensive team, you say? That is about the only thing you said that makes any sense.
Chose, how about adding a new song to your playlist. Anything would be an improvement.
We beat a team tonight ranked 327 by Pomeroy. Let’s see how they do against Wisconsin.

Perkins is a fine player. I certainly agree with that.
If you can’t defend, you cannot win in the Big Ten. We aren’t defending against the good teams so far. Is that lack of effort? Possibly. Or is it lack of quickness and athleticism? I think it is.

My playlist is pretty simple. I don’t think we will win more than 8 games in the Big Ten this year. It’s Fran’s 14th year.

I certainly hope I’m wrong.
You sound a lot like the attackers of Dr. Davis. Haven't won enough. Need new blood. Change, change, change. How did that work out? Most coaching changes fail.

The freshmen and sophomores are good players, and it looks like very good players with some experience and physical growth. A couple of nice recruits for next season. This is just a weird kind of transition year.

For example, Owen and Krikke are both deep post traditional centers. They each need the low post to be most effective. But, Iowa needs Big Bens scoring while Owen grows into the job. There's the Patrick problem, soon to be solved by the passage of time and replaced by Dembele or Py Sandford. Tony Collins will be hard to replace but Dix has the potential to be a good player. We have two good PGs, one a potential superstar. Who knows what's in the portal.

You don't like the style of ball, don't watch 'cuz you know what you are going to see. Since no one at Iowa, not even Lute or Dr. Davis could stockpile 4 & 5*s. Living through a transition year sucks but it happens.
i watch every game and have been doing so for 60 years.

You believe that he is recruiting Big ten caliber players who can play winning basketball. I’m not so sure anymore.

I sincerely hope you are right and I am wrong.

I’ll close by saying that I love Fran and have defended him for a long time. But this feels different to me. Coaches sell hope and future improvement. They sell energy and enthusiasm.
Fran looks exhausted.

It’s a tough league. You have a new AD.

Perhaps they get it going in the Big Ten, led by Perkins and Sandfort. Time to circle the wagons.

Full force A-HOLE here! By your own admission, b-ball is not you forte. Chosen didn't call anyone out, just his opinion of the team in general. Stick to football coach, it's what you know.