Franuary is not really a myth

Our defensive rebounding was abysmal. There were so many times we had our hands on the ball but Indiana would somehow come away it. The second chance points were a huge factor in our loss to Ohio State as well. I know Garza had 2 fouls but sitting him for almost 13 minutes in the first half just doesn't seem like a good decision. We still gave up a lot of open looks from 3 but were fortunate that Indiana wasn't hitting. I'm just not sure what we do to turn this around. I hope we find a way.

Our defensive rebounding was abysmal. There were so many times we had our hands on the ball but Indiana would somehow come away it. The second chance points were a huge factor in our loss to Ohio State as well. I know Garza had 2 fouls but sitting him for almost 13 minutes in the first half just doesn't seem like a good decision. We still gave up a lot of open looks from 3 but were fortunate that Indiana wasn't hitting. I'm just not sure what we do to turn this around. I hope we find a way.
and didn't Garza finish with those 2 fouls only.....poor tactical decisions out of coach.

One thing I will say about sitting Luka is we were up 10 when he went to the bench and were up 7 with just over a minute left. That stat kinda makes you understand what Fran was thinking. Had they stayed up 7 at half, it would have looked like a better decision. I still think it's dumb as hell tho regardless of how it works out in hindsight.

and didn't Garza finish with those 2 fouls only.....poor tactical decisions out of coach.

Yeah Luka doesn't seem like the type that tends to get in serious foul trouble. Guy is not a foul machine. I'd say maybe give him the benefit of the doubt and leave him out there until your hand is forced, rather than systematically pulling him with 2 fouls and sitting him the entire rest of the half no matter what.

If he picks up his 3rd, then, yeah. Or gets his 4th during the 2nd half, then different story.

Just my two cents on the Luka situation...Regardless of when he picks up his 4th foul he's sitting until the end of the game when he's absolutely needed, so with that being the case why not take your chance in the first half. You're giving up almost 13 first half minutes with your best player sidelined to "protect" him from getting into foul trouble in the second half.
I get the unwritten rule about sitting a player and do that with the youth team I coach, but that said you're taking your best player, and possibly the best player in college basketball, out of the game for 13 minutes. IMO there comes a point when you have to trust your player, weigh the current situation, with where you are in the game. As a coach can you find a scheme that minimizes his opportunities to pick up that 3rd if keep him on the floor?

Despite the fact we were up 10 we essentially sat him for over a quarter of the game just to be on the safe side. You can't play by what ifs, but do we continue to extend that lead if he stays on the floor in the first half? Would that lead be enough to squeeze one out in the end? Unwritten rule or not, I don't think you can take your chances sitting your best player for a 13 minute stretch just because you want to be sure he's available at crunch time. IMO you risk him picking up his 3rd those last 13 minutes of the first half rather than seeing to it you have him the last 5 minutes of the game.

Just my two cents on the Luka situation...Regardless of when he picks up his 4th foul he's sitting until the end of the game when he's absolutely needed, so with that being the case why not take your chance in the first half. You're giving up almost 13 first half minutes with your best player sidelined to "protect" him from getting into foul trouble in the second half.
I get the unwritten rule about sitting a player and do that with the youth team I coach, but that said you're taking your best player, and possibly the best player in college basketball, out of the game for 13 minutes. IMO there comes a point when you have to trust your player, weigh the current situation, with where you are in the game. As a coach can you find a scheme that minimizes his opportunities to pick up that 3rd if keep him on the floor?

Despite the fact we were up 10 we essentially sat him for over a quarter of the game just to be on the safe side. You can't play by what ifs, but do we continue to extend that lead if he stays on the floor in the first half? Would that lead be enough to squeeze one out in the end? Unwritten rule or not, I don't think you can take your chances sitting your best player for a 13 minute stretch just because you want to be sure he's available at crunch time. IMO you risk him picking up his 3rd those last 13 minutes of the first half rather than seeing to it you have him the last 5 minutes of the game.
I agree. As a coach, I would be more concerned with trying to out the game out of reach before the end of it than make a decision that improves the odds of keeping the game close. The way we were rolling when he went to the bench, if he leaves him in there was a really good chance he was gunna miss the end of the game due to being subbed out for Michael Baer.

I agree. As a coach, I would be more concerned with trying to out the game out of reach before the end of it than make a decision that improves the odds of keeping the game close. The way we were rolling when he went to the bench, if he leaves him in there was a really good chance he was gunna miss the end of the game due to being subbed out for Michael Baer.
I would have put him in for offense the last couple minutes of the 1st half and told him not to even breathe on anyone.

Latest posts