Fran's early success VS Today

I read this thread and wonder what most of you are looking at. It certainly isn't what I;'m looking at.

Cook, Garza, Bohannon, Moss, Wieskamp.

Exactly what is wrong with his recruiting any of those guys? I've seen a lot of jawing about JBo through the years but he's put up some pretty stellar numbers for a guy who can't play the point. I think the whole conversation is silly.
You would have to give that group of 5 a lot of credit for our current 16-3 record and national ranking. The past 20 yrs of Iowa basketball would tell you to look at this success and appreciate it. I hope there is a momentum shift in success going forward....so yes, i like these players that Fran has assembled.

Just to clarify.. When I posted this, Iowa was 0-3 and coming off a 19 loss season. So forgive me for not going on blind faith.

This team has shown me something since then - glad to see it.

This team can keep winning and I'll gladly keep taking my helpings of crow.

Just to clarify.. When I posted this, Iowa was 0-3 and coming off a 19 loss season. So forgive me for not going on blind faith.

This team has shown me something since then - glad to see it.

This team can keep winning and I'll gladly keep taking my helpings of crow.

Not just the Purdue loss, but also the 5-point squeaker over Bryant. For a couple games there it did NOT look good. But Nebraska is hardly a bottom-feeder, nor is O$U, though I agree, they were probably overrated.

Today's performance should have been "held" for Thursday vs. MSU, though!

Not just the Purdue loss, but also the 5-point squeaker over Bryant. For a couple games there it did NOT look good. But Nebraska is hardly a bottom-feeder, nor is O$U, though I agree, they were probably overrated.

Today's performance should have been "held" for Thursday vs. MSU, though!

The bottom feeders I was referring to are Northwestern, Penn State and Illinois.. I still think Nebraska and OSU are solid wins, though.

I didn't realize Lunardi has Nebby as a 5 seed. We'll see where OSU ends up. They've been reeling lately.

I've thought about this more and more in recent years, but regarding Fran's early success at Iowa, I have to wonder how much of that was a bit of fool's gold. If you think about Fran's best players:

Devyn Marble - Legacy recruit (Lickliter landed him). Does Roy Marble have any more kids out there that can play hoops?

Aaron White: 3* recruit that happened to become the program's 2nd all-time leading scorer. That doesn't happen often with 3* players. Fran caught lightning in a bottle.

Uthoff: Fairly fortuitous transfer - why did he decide to leave a very successful Wisconsin program anyway? If he stays at UW, we never have him.

Jok: Former blue chip recruit that hurt his knee and everyone else backed off his recruitment. Not sure we land him otherwise.

Am I missing anyone?

Yes, there was Woody and Gesell, 4* recruits. Cook, etc. I fully give Fran credit for identifying and landing all these guys when the opportunities came along. Yes, they all "count". Thing is, it seems that some of these lucky breaks/opportunities (whatever you want to call it) have dried up in recent years. And so too have the results.

What if Roy Marble never had a kid that was also a good player and/or Lickliter never recruited him? What if Uthoff decided to stay at UW? What if Aaron White turned out like nearly every other 3* recruit? What if Jok doesn't hurt his knee?

I know, I know - what if's don't really matter. Just seems that Fran caught a lot of good fortune early on the recruiting trail. Whatever the case, his later recruiting classes haven't been quite so impressive..
Is Garza chopped liver and not deserving of a mention? Pretty sure Fran recruited him and he may end up the best big man he's had when it's all said and done.
There's 'what if's' on both sides of that coin too with kids he 'almost' got too. Be it Ulis and I'm sure there's more. Recruiting is an inexact science with luck having a part in it. Would those players have all developed the same anywhere else? Maybe maybe not. Uthoff never should have went to Wisky to begin with that was a terrible fit and he wanted to come home before his RS year was half done.

I guess I'm not sure what your point is. We are 15-3 right now. Did you expect this prior to the year? Coming off what we did last yr I sure didn't I doubt many outside their locker room did. The major X factor was our true freshman newbie JW and how he'd figure in. And defensively would the team improve even a little bit. Well so far everyone has played pretty well, the freshman has been killing it and defensively we've had some great outings as of late. If we keep our turnovers under 15(closer to 10 would be better)keep getting other teams in foul trouble and making our FTs we've shown what a tough out we can be. Are we a top 10 team no I don't think we are. But are we a team not many would want to play and deserving of our ranking? You bet ya.

I am kind of happy right now. The past is the past. I can sit here and bitch about what has gone on before, but I prefer to live in the day and enjoy this team. I really like this team, their togetherness, their unselfish play, their skills, their commitment to improving their defense. It is very hard to win in the BT, especially on the road, says Capt. Obvious. I am fully aware that we have a tough 4 game slate coming up and not likely to win all 4. But, when you look at the heavy baggage these kids started the year with, did anyone here really think they would be a ranked team with the record we have? I give them a lot of credit for what they have achieved so far. Now, onward and upward.

The bottom feeders I was referring to are Northwestern, Penn State and Illinois.. I still think Nebraska and OSU are solid wins, though.

I didn't realize Lunardi has Nebby as a 5 seed. We'll see where OSU ends up. They've been reeling lately.

If Nebby is a 5-seed, then we're a 5 or 6, as well. At this point, anyway. We still have a LOT of time to improve or regress...

I am kind of happy right now. The past is the past. I can sit here and bitch about what has gone on before, but I prefer to live in the day and enjoy this team. I really like this team, their togetherness, their unselfish play, their skills, their commitment to improving their defense. It is very hard to win in the BT, especially on the road, says Capt. Obvious. I am fully aware that we have a tough 4 game slate coming up and not likely to win all 4. But, when you look at the heavy baggage these kids started the year with, did anyone here really think they would be a ranked team with the record we have? I give them a lot of credit for what they have achieved so far. Now, onward and upward.

^^ This ...…. I have no idea how this season will end , but pretty sure we will see no quit in this team . One thing that is nice to see is the kids are having fun and are working together , hoping this next 4 game stretch we go 2-2 or better

I don't understand this thread at all. Not every recruiting year can be the same. Some years you just don't have as many scholarships available.

You have to judge the coach based on how the program is trending. To Fran's credit, the program is trending up in the best league in the country. This team has a legitimate shot at 20 wins or more and a definite NCAA bid (NIT worst case). The trend is UP. No one on this board was predicting that at the beginning of the year. I'd say the recruiting has been very good. The other teams have scholarship players too.

I'll say one thing....I'd hate to work for some of you dudes. You are never happy!!! Nebraska, Iowa State and Ohio State are not bottom feeders. Ohio State is full of 4 star recruits, and they buried us twice last year. Iowa State is legit in every way. Oregon was a quality win.Those are huge wins. Our NET ranking is in the Top 25 because of those wins; wins that no one predicted. This team has already achieved a lot.

If you are going to criticize for some of the recruiting misses, don't you have to give Fran all the credit for Weiskamp and Garza, not to mention his son? Weiskamp is going to be one of the best players ever to wear the black and gold. Those three players are program changing recruits. Are you people watching the games? Iowa has a completely different level of toughness this year. Sure, Michigan State may beat us, but they will be in for a dog fight. This team is feeling it right now