Franklin calls out Hawk fans

This. There had to be at least 8 “injuries” where their shit bag player hopped up and strutted off the field. And each one was after an Iowa gain or 1st down.

I booed.

F Franklin and F his flopping players.
Franklin is a very weird dude. He fits in perfectly at Penn State, which is a very weird place if you spend some time over there.

I was at the game and it was ridiculously obvious to me that they were faking the injuries as part of a strategy to give their defense (and offense) rest against a very physical Iowa team that was a stronger, better conditioned team with a deeper bench. Iowa's conditioning started to show up in the second half; the Lion players had a lot of hands on hips throughout the second half. That was one of the reasons why Iowa won the game, if you really paid attention to what was happening.

I would also say that any school that condoned what they condoned for decades under Paterno has to have a big "set" to get upset about a little booing at a football game. I have never met a fan yet in my life who would boo a player who is actually injured; but how can you tell when they keep faking them as well?

I was sitting behind the Penn State bench and one of the "injured" players was actually laughing about it as he ran off the field. If you are going to use this tactic, which is allowed under the rules at this time, you shouldn't be bothered by a negative crowd response. Especially on the road.

I also want to respond to the narrative about the outcome being different if Clifford had not been injured. That is a ridiculous argument for Penn State fans to make, due to the nature of the offense Penn State plays.

I would respectfully point out that Penn State's offensive plan against Iowa REALLY exposed Clifford to injury. Setting 4 or 5 receivers out wide on almost every play (particularly in the first half) exposed Clifford to all out blitzes by Iowa's linebackers or corners, which happened on the play where he was injured; not to mention the strategy of having him run the ball over and over again. Clifford is not a big, physical QB, and the hit by Campbell was a very clean play.... but a smallish QB is gonna get injured when a freak athlete like Campbell hits him head on. Something's gotta give when a 250 pound LB who runs a 4.5 forty hits a 180 pound QB. To me, Franklin doesn't protect his QB very well with his spread offense. Petras, on the other hand, rarely scrambles and Iowa very seldom exposes him with their blocking schemes. Bottom line, Franklin runs a high risk high reward offense. One of the risks is an injury to your star QB, which happened in the Iowa game.

Franklin's "spread it out" coaching philosophy will continue to expose his QBs to injury; Trace McSorley also suffered numerous injuries when he played there, and Penn State is having trouble recruiting QBs because of the style Franklin likes to run. Iowa, on the other hand, runs a pro-style offense which protects your QBs a lot better. You can see easily that Penn State's second string QB also was a running QB. He'll get hurt too. It is inevitable.

I repeat. Iowa fans were not booing players. They were booing Franklin’s antics. So, Franklin says, “Hey! Look over there.” Nice try, dumb ass.

We are making this out to be some major problem and it’s not. If you “fake” an injury you are sitting out the next play already. I wouldn’t risk anyone on our defense having to sit the next play. It’s not like our explosive offense is being hurt by this. The only change I would make is it shouldn’t be a free timeout for coaches to prepare for the next play. Just require teams to stay on the field and penalize coaches that do anything other than attend to the injured players.

As for Franklin, F him and I hope he enjoyed the trip home after that one!
Beg to disagree slightly. While Iowa generally does not run an "up-tempo" offense, we've seen repeatedly that one big Iowa play can get the players, coaches and fans fired up and can set the defense on its heels. Having an "injured" defender flop on the ground and stay there for a minute or longer can stop some of that momentum and dull the enthusiasm. It also allows that opposing team to change schemes or players without having to burn a timeout.

Franklin's a dick.

F**K Jimmy and the Nitty Buttercups! There is not one true football fan that boo's a player getting hurt! They will boo shenanigans though and that's exactly what it was. I'm sure if Iowa would had a dfensive player drop over and over again when they were going tempo Jimmy would be the first to call that out so to hell with him!

Sorry everyone I don’t agree with trying to punish teams for injuries. I completely understand that the timing of the injuries was suspicious but football is a rough sport and we absolutely don’t want players to try to keep playing in order to not have their team penalized.

That is really why they need to miss at least 4 plays or the equivalent of a whole series because they might have the pain go away in 40 seconds but there still might be an issue.

I know, if it is a leg problem they go out and miss the next play then while they are missing a 2nd play they need to prove the leg or foot or ankle is ok by running a 40 yard dash behind the bench area.

If it is upper body like an arm the same thing but then lift some weights to prove range of motion and strength.

Go back and watch Goodson's run with 5:30 left in the 3rd. #17 was their right DE and was lined up across from LaPorta. The play went the other way and he was jogging to the play as Goodson went down. He slowed to a walk. The next thing you knew, he was on the ground. Total BS.

The play is at 13:35. https://youtu.be/kSRuZJhDkHY?t=816

Here's the reverse angle of the play. You can't see #17, but you can see how pissed KF is and, well, LeVar Woods too. :)

The funniest, most obvious proof that it was fake is the trainer girl appears to be looking at his right leg, then gives a little shake of his left knee for show.

A reasonable change the rules might be:
- A player injured on the field which requires stoppage of play may not return until the next change in possession
- The team of the injured player must remain on the field and the coaches and staff will not be allowed to huddle with the team during the injury timeout.

A reasonable change the rules might be:
- A player injured on the field which requires stoppage of play may not return until the next change in possession
- The team of the injured player must remain on the field and the coaches and staff will not be allowed to huddle with the team during the injury timeout.
I think this is the simplest way - leaving it up to the refs to call a penalty won't work because it will have to be so obvious for it to happen, then if they call a penatly, and it turns out the player was actually injured, the coach/media will have a heyday with them.

Latest posts