Fran still has a path...to success.

WinOneThisCentury

Losing out on Carton in that way (choosing three other B10 teams), is a huge blow to Fran whether his biggest supporter (Gary Barta) wants to recognize that. You have to come down to the very end with an in state kid...and hopefully land them.

That being said...if Fran maximizes this year (experienced team) and he can get them playing better defense from an efficiency standpoint...he will land guys that want to play here. He has enough underclassman pieces to be successful over the next few years. He just needs to get to the tournament this year. Personally, I don't think that's a stretch if guys improve. Without Cook, it wouldn't be possible...but getting Tyler back gives you a legitimate B10 first teamer...to build off of. If Garza and Nunge improve defensively...they proved (at least Garza did) that they can score consistently...the team has weapons when you add in Moss and Bohannon.

Weiskamp is the wild card to me at this point. If he's a major contributor (10 to 12 points) and holds his own defensively. We are a tournament team. Recruiting then improves and you can land guys with the nucleus we would have coming back. Cook isn't back a year from now...but there are plenty of pieces back.

A coach should never be fired over missing on a freaking recruit. Sure is sucks Giant donkey balls that DJ is going elsewhere, but there are other players out there.

Fran should have been fired as soon as this season was completed, should have nothing to do with DJ. He took a team in the dumps, built them up and got them on the right path only to completely tank again.

I hope he can get back to the NCAA’s this year, but if he can’t there is no way in the world he should keep his job missing 3 straight NCAA tournaments. If anyone says well we got Patrick coming in next year, just refer back to the first paragraph. No coach should be fired for missing on a recruit, and at that same time no coach should be retained solely because of an incoming recruit.

Last edited:
A coach should never be fired over missing on a freaking recruit. Sure is sucks Giant donkey balls that DJ is going elsewhere, but there are other players out there.

Fran should have been fired as soon as this season was completed, should have nothing to do with DJ. He took a team in the dumps, built them up and got them on the right path only to completely tank again.

I hope he can get back to the NCAA’s this year, but if he can’t there is no way in the world he should keep his job missing 3 straight NCAA tournaments. If anyone says well we got Patrick coming in next year, just refer back to the first paragraph. No coach should be fired for missing on a recruit, and at that same time no coach should be retained solely because of an incoming recruit.
I think by this time next year Pat will be in the 100-150 range as a recruit. I’m holding out hope that we can add another quality player in the 2019 class but if he’s the only headliner the class didn’t turn out the way many of us hoped.

Next year is definitely tournament or bust for Fran. I believe the talent is there, but he may have to change some of his ways.

Well, if I'm keeping track...we haven't really been too successfully in landing the big recruit in the backcourt. This has been a pretty consistent problem I believe, right? I think when you look at a DJ Carton, for a program like Iowa, a get like him brings along a few more high level recruits that may be on the fence with Iowa. When he blows the program down the road by selecting three other B10 teams...I think that sends a message too. I hope I never implied I thought Fran should be fired for not landing Carton. I don't. But I also think and NCAA birth is pretty important for Fran right now, not in a year 2019, unless someone lowered the bar to Lick levels again. Lower level B10 finishes at this point in his tenure...successive ones...well...aren't acceptable.

I'm giving him a pass with last year...as losing Williams right before the season, then Connor to injury and illness, just decimated our depth at PG. But, passes at this level are very, very rare...and "body of work" comments only come back to haunt you. If we suck this year...well, the body of work looks a lot worse maybe to the power of 10.

There is always a Cinderella team or two in the tournament every year who plays above and beyond what they "should". There are no highly regarded players just players who play as a team. That is what Fran and the Hawkeyes have to become. A group of guys who give 110% every game. They don't do that. I don't know what the problem is, coach or players or a combination of both. If that is addressed and fixed more wins will come, more tournament success will come and highly regarded recruits will be sprinkled in recruiting classes. That is how Iowa and alot of other non blue blood programs have to be. They need the mentality the football team had against OSU last year.

I think by this time next year Pat will be in the 100-150 range as a recruit. I’m holding out hope that we can add another quality player in the 2019 class but if he’s the only headliner the class didn’t turn out the way many of us hoped.

Next year is definitely tournament or bust for Fran. I believe the talent is there, but he may have to change some of his ways.
@InGoodCo

Latest posts