Fran stands pat..."We're Good".

WinOneThisCentury

So we going with those we brought huh. I know Joe W. and the kid from Kentucky are coming...but no other transfer or anything? I'm kind of surprised. I sure hope Joe W and a healthy Connor at PG can help defensively. I get the other guys will be a year older, so hopefully the losing gave them an edge this summer.

Well we weren't good last season so you hope Fran saying "we're good" means he'll get things figured out, we're good for next season, and we'll be good.

I couldn't decide how this was meant.
tenor.gif

Or

images

Or
tenor.gif

My dream for the opening B10 game next year is that Fran's team throws off the gloves prior to the opening tip and opens a can of whoopass ala hockey teams on whomever we are playing. Sure...it may mean automatic disqualification...but it would send a message. We ain't taking shit from anyone...and if you want to score in the paint...it will be at the free throw line.

Or we can lose 98 - 90 in a highly entertaining back and forth game where we fail to get stops in crunch time and lose. You know...same old script.

Remember when asked at the Big Media day when not much was expected of Fry s team with Matt Rodgers?

We ll have a fine football team.

We re good is sort of like that.

I guess Fran is just doubling down on his ability to develop skills in players, that did not exist before. Players like White and Marble gave me belief early on, but more recent failures like Ellingson, Uhl, and Wagner have stripped that belief away. It is now impossible to know if Fran is any good at developing players or if he just got lucky a few times.

This next season will either be proof of ability to develop or proof to the contrary. Fran seems confident that he can make something of Moss and Dailey. If he does get them playing well then honestly we could be in good shape (Cook returning dependant). I have hope for this to happen, I just no longer have faith.

I like the team Iowa has returning. Even if Iowa could of found a talented recruit for next year, it wouldn't of necessarily made the team better. I don't think recruiting over guys is very good for the overall team moral.

I like the team Iowa has returning. Even if Iowa could of found a talented recruit for next year, it wouldn't of necessarily made the team better. I don't think recruiting over guys is very good for the overall team moral.

a coach should recruit over kids that aren't getting it done. otherwise, i agree with you. if CM can be an improvement at pg off/def, then we'll be okay, as long as, Cook returns.

We should be fine defensively in the front court if Cook returns. I think Kreiner gets better there, Garza gets better, Nunge gets better...and you have Baer who can play defense. The problem I have is that we don't play defense well in the backcourt. We have guards that can score...but right now...they are giving up more than they are getting...points and defensive breakdowns included. If you look at our defensive issues...most of it started with penetration...which forced us to be out of position...which created issues.

I'm hopeful we can get this shored up...but if you ask me...I think we are soft in the backcourt and until they show me differently...I'll say we will be soft again there next year. I hope I'm wrong.

We should be fine defensively in the front court if Cook returns. I think Kreiner gets better there, Garza gets better, Nunge gets better...and you have Baer who can play defense. The problem I have is that we don't play defense well in the backcourt. We have guards that can score...but right now...they are giving up more than they are getting...points and defensive breakdowns included. If you look at our defensive issues...most of it started with penetration...which forced us to be out of position...which created issues.

I'm hopeful we can get this shored up...but if you ask me...I think we are soft in the backcourt and until they show me differently...I'll say we will be soft again there next year. I hope I'm wrong.

i agree. it all starts with not being able to stop penetration and to create it on offense.

wtf does that even mean?

Young kids pushing the veterans are the lifeblood of all collegiate and professional sports.

Eventually, especially on the professional level, the older player loses one step too many and is replaced by the younger player.

On rarer occasions it happens at the collegiate level. Mostly if a younger player replaces the older player it's simply because the younger player is better.

If the older player has a problem or a morale issue with that, then that's on them. Playing time is an earned privilege.

How would you have like to have been a fly on the wall when those early Davis teams went at it in practice. You had players like Moe, Lorenzen, Horton, and Jones pushing the starters. Players like Reaves, Hill, and Morgan were pushing the reserves just to get any playing time.

You think those practices were a little intense?

Last edited:
Evidently Fran thinks he can teach speed and quickness. Either that or he thinks Connor is quicker than Locure type guys. Rainbows and unicorns Fran.

Cook is a liability defensively, so are Kriener and Pemsl when they are playing the 4. It all depends where Fran plays these guys. If he keeps throwing Nunge out there at the 3 that puts us at another disadvantage.

Evidently Fran thinks he can teach speed and quickness. Either that or he thinks Connor is quicker than Locure type guys. Rainbows and unicorns Fran.
Well the interesting thing to everyone who thinks it’s all a speed issue (I certainly agree we need more speed) is that Wisconsin has for the last 20 some years been a very good defensive team and they have never had a ton of footspeed in the backcourt. They just are well coached and play solid team defense. Fran hasn’t shown the ability to teach that.