Fran rant!!!

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
I

Ian Pike Hammer

I know there are several coaches on this forum and since we don't have a capable one heading our men's bball program, it looks like we'll have to supply our own. Let's address a few defensive issues:
1. Giving up lay-ups/OPEN LANE
Against Purdue, we gave up way too many lay-ups. Fran, did you notice that? College players don't miss but maybe 1 out of 20 lay-ups, and therefore it might be a good idea to take them away from our opponent. I can't count how many times I saw an open lane yest, to the point where it was just pathetic! Here's a possible solution: stick someone's 6'11" ass under the hoop and KEEP THEM THERE! Stop running them north and south, then east and west. I can't see how a 6'1"guard driving the lane has a chance agaitst someone twice his size. The only way this is possible is if the lane is vacant. Why is the lane always vacant? I don't see any other team who continually leaves the hoop unguared as much as we do! With our size, we should be in the top 10 nationally in blocked shots, unless there's no-one protecting the rim. Go to a freaking 2-1-2 zone or a 1-3-1 and leave somone under the freaking hoop!!!

2.Man-to-man. How many damn times did we "switch" and end up giving up a "screen and roll" basket. Leave the switch completely and make every player responsible for their own opponent. You can double team the screen in times of need, but you then must prevent the pass in the lane to the screener. Going through the screen is the most common way to defend it. Even diving under the screen has got to get better results than what we are seeing right now!! What is so hard to understand about that? Do we not have players with good bball IQ's or it is it some hard to understand defense you're teaching? Stop "out thinking yourself and get back to basic, fundamental defense! WTF are you doing Fran??

It's pretty damn obvious that EVERY B1G team has the blueprint for how to beat us by simply driving to the lane for lay-ups and dunks. This is a carryover from LAST YEAR and has never been solved. If you can't figure out how to stop this most simple of offenses, TURN IN YOUR RESIGNATION, please!
I've been a life-long Hawkeye fan but now I'm sick to my stomach of your failures!

Feel free to give Fran a few coaching tips of your own.

2. Recruit a true point guard. How many years have we been saying this?
3. As far as a center goes.....

Get this:
de168222-09f1-11e7-97fd-b2cffb0064d4-780x569.jpg

or this:

big_easy_lofton_52_2017_tour.png

Not that:

Tall-Skinny-Man-tall.jpg

3. Call a freaking timeout when your team is going down the tubes. Get your players composed and call a good set play.

4. Go to Mr. Davis and take some notes on his full court press. May not apply to games in East Lansing though. Iowa needs an identity. What exactly is Iowa good at? They do a number of things, but don't seem to do all them particular well against real competition.

Stop thinking that one decent player and 6 skinny white "AAU stars of tomorrow" are all you have to recruit.

All the coaching tips in the world won't help until that gets straightened out. There's no substitute for size and strength, especially when Iowa has the worst defense in all of Division I.

He or his staff is clueless on how to emphasize or coach a team to defend. That is for sure. At the D1 major conference level nonetheless

1). Pick a defense and stick with it. Commit at least half of your practice time to teaching that defense, so the players know it by heart. Stress the fundamentals and sit any player that's not giving it 100% on the defensive end of the floor.
2). Slow the game down. When you aren't as quick or athletic as most of your opponents, speeding the game up makes things worse...not better.
3). Recruit for the style you want to play. See #2. Hint - You're not likely to find many of those types of players in Iowa, so you should probably fish in better stocked ponds.

I know there are several coaches on this forum and since we don't have a capable one heading our men's bball program, it looks like we'll have to supply our own. Let's address a few defensive issues:
1. Giving up lay-ups/OPEN LANE
Against Purdue, we gave up way too many lay-ups. Fran, did you notice that? College players don't miss but maybe 1 out of 20 lay-ups, and therefore it might be a good idea to take them away from our opponent. I can't count how many times I saw an open lane yest, to the point where it was just pathetic! Here's a possible solution: stick someone's 6'11" ass under the hoop and KEEP THEM THERE! Stop running them north and south, then east and west. I can't see how a 6'1"guard driving the lane has a chance agaitst someone twice his size. The only way this is possible is if the lane is vacant. Why is the lane always vacant? I don't see any other team who continually leaves the hoop unguared as much as we do! With our size, we should be in the top 10 nationally in blocked shots, unless there's no-one protecting the rim. Go to a freaking 2-1-2 zone or a 1-3-1 and leave somone under the freaking hoop!!!

2.Man-to-man. How many damn times did we "switch" and end up giving up a "screen and roll" basket. Leave the switch completely and make every player responsible for their own opponent. You can double team the screen in times of need, but you then must prevent the pass in the lane to the screener. Going through the screen is the most common way to defend it. Even diving under the screen has got to get better results than what we are seeing right now!! What is so hard to understand about that? Do we not have players with good bball IQ's or it is it some hard to understand defense you're teaching? Stop "out thinking yourself and get back to basic, fundamental defense! WTF are you doing Fran??

It's pretty damn obvious that EVERY B1G team has the blueprint for how to beat us by simply driving to the lane for lay-ups and dunks. This is a carryover from LAST YEAR and has never been solved. If you can't figure out how to stop this most simple of offenses, TURN IN YOUR RESIGNATION, please!
I've been a life-long Hawkeye fan but now I'm sick to my stomach of your failures!

I hate when players on the other team try.

Stop thinking that one decent player and 6 skinny white "AAU stars of tomorrow" are all you have to recruit.

All the coaching tips in the world won't help until that gets straightened out. There's no substitute for size and strength, especially when Iowa has the worst defense in all of Division I.

Lol what?? Iowa hasn't had anywhere near the worst defense in all of Division I. They've been top 100 pretty much the entire season which is a gigantic step up from last season.

1). Pick a defense and stick with it. Commit at least half of your practice time to teaching that defense, so the players know it by heart. Stress the fundamentals and sit any player that's not giving it 100% on the defensive end of the floor.
2). Slow the game down. When you aren't as quick or athletic as most of your opponents, speeding the game up makes things worse...not better.
3). Recruit for the style you want to play. See #2. Hint - You're not likely to find many of those types of players in Iowa, so you should probably fish in better stocked ponds.
Players don't like to practice defense, lots of work, not fun.

Defense is mostly heart deeply interwoven with reflexive defensive techniques (individual and team) that don't need to be thought out during a game.

Teams hate other teams that play solid, in your face, defense all game long.

You can always play good defense even if shots aren't falling.

Very good defensive teams can still lose with the 3-point shot so heavily a part of the game.

Iowa touches on some of these, when they are in the mood.

Defense is mostly heart deeply interwoven with reflexive defensive techniques (individual and team) that don't need to be thought out during a game.

Very good defensive teams can still lose with the 3-point shot so heavily a part of the game.

Players don't like to practice defense. That's all the more reason why you need to do it. Playing good defense is hard. The best defenders have the internal motivation to do it to the best of their ability. The rest of them you have to force them to do it. You have to drag most teams through the defensive drills on a daily basis, to make sure they do it well in games. You have to have a team defensive scheme, with rebounding responsibilities and every player on your team needs to know it.
The reason for this is simple. Most players that play in college, have spent hundreds of hours working on their game. Alone or with a coach/trainer. What are they working on? Shooting, dribbling, layups, post moves, etc. When have you ever seen or even heard of a player in the gym by themselves, doing slide drills? I've never seen it.

Players don't like to practice defense. That's all the more reason why you need to do it. Playing good defense is hard. The best defenders have the internal motivation to do it to the best of their ability. The rest of them you have to force them to do it. You have to drag most teams through the defensive drills on a daily basis, to make sure they do it well in games. You have to have a team defensive scheme, with rebounding responsibilities and every player on your team needs to know it.
The reason for this is simple. Most players that play in college, have spent hundreds of hours working on their game. Alone or with a coach/trainer. What are they working on? Shooting, dribbling, layups, post moves, etc. When have you ever seen or even heard of a player in the gym by themselves, doing slide drills? I've never seen it.
Concur...and:

Teams with less talent can out work, out train, out scheme on the defensive end and gain an edge on teams with more talent. Iowa needs to inherit this, forever, and become a team no one wants to play because of their defensive tenacity.

Tough to do consistently however...Fran doesn't seem to know much about it (special hire to get someone to teach defense? Really?), coaches don't tend to want to spend much time on it, players hate it, more glory in running and gunning, and great fun.

Please take this message to heart players and coaches at Iowa, you will be stunned at how good you will become :)

I know that players don't like to practice defense. When I played D3, Coach Levick spent at least 3/4 of our preseason time and 1/2 of our in-season practice time on defensive drills and talking about defense. Being D3, we didn't have film at that time but we did have each of our opponents scouted and knew tendencies of their players. In-season a lot of our practice time was spent breaking down opponents' offenses so we were able to at least stop our opponents' desired tendencies. Scrimmage? That was for the other teams - we had controlled scrimmage where we worked on our offensive sets for about 15 minutes or so each day.

What I have seen in previous games is our helpside defenders are waaay out of position. So when we get beat, (yes it does happen) there is no one to stop the drive.

I will say, that in Iowa's last two games, this seems to be corrected. Man to man is much improved. Now, can they sustain that improvement or will they fall back into their bad habits?